Which card is God?

fluffy

Does anyone think that a particular card represents God? There is a devil card, death, judgement etc, but which card do you think represents God if any? It has been bothering me for a few days now. I have read through loads of the old threads and know that some think that XXI is God/jesus or some Le Mat and still others that the star represents jesus (star of Bethlehem). What do people think? I myself am going with Le Mat if at all as he has no number and cannot be put in any particular place amongst the other 21 cards. I am anxiously awaiting my Vieville, which has no names on the cards. I think I am going to like it. I has got me thinking how much do the names effect how we perceive the card?

Love Fluffy
ps if there is already a link about this could someone direct me to it.

Fluff

fyreflye

The World (or Universe) card is "God" in the sense that it's the end point of the Fool's journey. But though the imagery of the original tarot appears Christian it's at least equally Neoplatonist and should not be read as a Christian allegory. If you read it from a Gnostic viewpoint The Emperor can be seen as the creator god Ialdobaoth but he's not "God" in the orthodox Christian sense.

n.b. And since you ask, The Empress would be Sophia.

fluffy said:
Does anyone think that a particular card represents God? There is a devil card, death, judgement etc, but which card do you think represents God if any? It has been bothering me for a few days now. I have read through loads of the old threads and know that some think that XXI is God/jesus or some Le Mat and still others that the star represents jesus (star of Bethlehem). What do people think? I myself am going with Le Mat if at all as he has no number and cannot be put in any particular place amongst the other 21 cards. I am anxiously awaiting my Vieville, which has no names on the cards. I think I am going to like it. I has got me thinking how much do the names effect how we perceive the card?

Love Fluffy
ps if there is already a link about this could someone direct me to it.

Fluff

fluffy

I think I grasp what you are saying and am most grateful for your reply. I suppose it kind of answers my question, but If the Emperor was seen as the creator God from a Gnostic viewpoint, then what role does that leave for the Empress who more usually is seen as a creator of life and his counterpart. Also The World card always seemed to me to represent some sort of enlightenment, not necessarily the persona of God as such. I am also still in 2 minds on the "Fool's journey", I am still not convinced that he is travelling through the Major arcana to reach an ultimate destination.

many thanks for your reply FyreFlye I will take another look at my Emperor card.

Love Fluffy

Imagemaker

I could never see just one card as God. That Consciousness has infinite expressions--as mother, as wisdom, as child, as innocent, as hope, and on and on.

For me, the expression of Godness comes in the moment of the reading and the querent's situation.

firemaiden

They're all God, Fluffy. :)

...according to my buddy Major Tom

snowy25

Hi Fluffy,

Someone I knew used a blanc card for guidence and God. She told me it stands for God as well as your guide if you're not a christian.
If the deck doesn't have one you could use one of the info cards, almost every deck has one.
I don't know how it works exactly because I don't use it and I'm not a christian.

fluffy

Many thanks for all your replies. Fulgour what a beautiful poem, I have printed it off for future reference, I have never studied the Cabala/Quaballah (whatever) as it has always seemed to indepth, complicated etc, it is small things like this that make me think my time will be well spent giving it a closer look. I am not sure how I got to it, but I have just read a couple of threads on Archetypes, which has greatly changed my view on the tarot and the "God card" anyway. As always the responses provided show me many new ways to look at marseille.

Love Fluffy

(ps of course they are all God Firemaiden, that is so bloody blindingly obvious once pointed out, I am ashamed I didn't think of it! Fluff x)

Parzival

Which Card Is God?

God indwells the Light of the Hermit, invisibly immanent therein. So He guides the Hermit's footsteps. God invisibly "stands above" the Pape and Papesse, inspiring their wisdom as they contemplate His Mystery. He is the transcendent Presence over them. Their tri-tiered tiaras are the planets, stars, firmament under the ultimate Divine, limitlessly enlightening.

For The Hermit's Heart

"All love proclaim! the creative power
By which the whole world is embraced.
Oh kindle too in me your fire,...
Dear God, relieve my spirit's anguish,
My needy heart illuminate!" (Goethe)

"That Thou O God my life hast lighted,
With ray of light, steady, ineffable, vouchsafed of Thee,
Light rare untellable, lighting the very light..." (Whitman)

rainwolf

I have a mixed feeling of this: Universe seems like the summation and the ideal/higher power, but in another sense, i think all the cards (at least major's) comprise it too, but in different forms and the universe being the renewal part.