Why is The Moon card usually seen as negative?

Barleywine

The person I see in the Priestess card has learnt all about this and knows how to use the Moon's fluctuating energies.

Good point. In many versions the crescent Moon is - not coincidentally, I'd say - at her feet.

ravenest

My favorite interpretation of The Moon ever! :)

Its good isnt it ?

. "The card represents life of the imagination apart from life of the spirit." (W.)

This card consequently means the life of the soul in particular, the feelings and sentiments, emotions (not only fear, etc.), changes wrought in existence by them, water and the female element in general. "

I wasnt going to broach this one but .... here it is.

Moon, darkness, black, SOUL * , world soul ( anima mundi ) hence; nature, environment, feminine and woman .... are all things this current western society ( and yes, going back to those post Victorian magicians ) trashes !

* after 40 years study and experience in many religions, and 'occult' subjects and various sciences ( specifically those connected with Cultural Anthropology ... so human experience across time, locations and cultures) I see the soul as described above. Particularly this : " changes wrought in existence " .

The basic human differentiation trait is the ability to visualize variations of a potential theme being played out and how we would deal with that and bringing it into reality. It was the basis of what separated our tool making ability from the other animals tool making ability. Myths work the same way, as do our 'unusual experiences' ( like 'supernatural' ones ... everything from a visit by angels, or demons, through to a good or bad UFO abduction :) ) .

When we imagine one of these paths or outcomes we have to try it, we yearn and long for things, and if not fulfilled the soul starves ... one can eventually loose their soul.

The soul is the need to express our imaginate desire themes in all sorts of arrangements.

here is a great writing on it where the soul / person, anima / animus , 'monster' and maiden can be seen within either roles ;

www.theoi.com/Ouranios/Psykhe.html

also this bit is great " "The card represents life of the imagination apart from life of the spirit "

as many have confused spirit and soul ... they see both as a type of spirit ... as if the soul is an 'astral counterpart', of Body of Light'. or the 'etheric body' , etc .

apart from the spirit - yes ! ( and spirit isnt some walking ghost either ... its what makes you different from everyone else and makes puppies in a litter different ... I dont mean the runt , I mean their 'personalities; , essential self, spirit .

Who is this guy again ? I'm gonna read more of him !

( A. E. Thierens, General Book Of The Tarot. :thumbsup:

ravenest

Good point. In many versions the crescent Moon is - not coincidentally, I'd say - at her feet.

yes, at IC position .... is where it is when fish feed and where it is to put out BD peps at Moon Saturn Opposition .... the Moon draws the 'cosmic energy' through the Earth with you at the MS ... the 'Middle of Heaven' position . :)

Ruby Jewel

I'm always very wary when I see the Moon card in readings now. Recently, it kept coming up for someone who I thought was a friend, but was in fact stabbing me in the back the entire time. It didn't matter about the surrounding cards, the Moon kept popping out - like it was screaming at me to take notice. At the time, I just kept telling myself that this person thought I was enchanting, which was great for my massive ego, lol, but of course the reality hit me much later on and I realized the Moon was warning me of deception.

So now when I see the Moon, especially in relationship spreads, I sit up and take notice and my first thought it that not all is what it seems. I know the Moon can mean different things in different contexts, but for me personally the Moon is a warning card and is telling me to tread carefully.

I, too, am very aware and wary when I see the Moon card pop up.....deception is 12th house in astrology.....lost in illusion and delusion. It pays to take the Moon card seriously with it's traditional meaning rather than try to soften or glamorize it with what we want or wish it to mean....as many on this thread seem to be attempting to do. An arbitrary interpretation could carry a severe consequence.

tealily

I have always wondered why The Moon card in Tarot is considered a 'scary', 'dark', and negative card. Personally, The Moon is one of my favorite cards in the Tarot. I like what it represents; intuition, imagination, emotions, dreams. Perhaps I feel a strong connection to The Moon card because Water is a dominant element in my astrological natal chart - The Moon is a watery card. In my opinion what The Moon card represents is very underrated in today's emotionally detached society. Maybe that is why people fear it.

I get that the Death and The Tower cards are feared but why The Moon, this beautiful, feminine and stunning card?

Haha I've learned to love the Death card, so I get where you're coming from!

The Moon can represent lots of lovely, intuitive things, but it also represents to me a lack of security/concrete-ness, which is what a lot of people fear :D (given most people come to tarot because they're worried about something, and want some reassurance than everything will be ok)

junemarie

One point no-one has yet bought up, is the role of the moon - I mean the actual celestial body up in the sky - in divination itself.

Consulting the moon in all matters relating to divination appears to go way, way back into our history, to pre-literate times, and have survived into the modern world. Shamans and witches alike consult the Mother before attempting divination.

So I believe it should also be with Tarot. I know that many people (myself included) pray before laying the cards. More than that, it seems to me absolutely necessary to observe and consult the Moon. In which sign is She? In what relation to other planets? And at which quarter? All these thing will affect both reader and querent.

The condition and position of the moon when the question is asked is of the utmost importance and has its influence on the outcome. Every tarot reader should know enough simple astrology to assess these things.

Again: divination is a lunar art: it should therefore be practiced under the auspices and with the aid and guidance of that goddess herself.

Barleywine

Again: divination is a lunar art: it should therefore be practiced under the auspices and with the aid and guidance of that goddess herself.

As a lunar type myself, I can see the value in this. The phase of the Moon and the old traditional astrological idea of "barren" and "fertile" signs might be especially useful.

DeepSoul24

Yes, I've always noticed this about The Moon. Really, it's seen as a dark card because it's talking about what's underneath the surface. The Moon represents inner reflection and stuff hidden in the dark that people don't want seen, so it brings heavy connotation usually.

chaosbloom

One point no-one has yet bought up, is the role of the moon - I mean the actual celestial body up in the sky - in divination itself.

Consulting the moon in all matters relating to divination appears to go way, way back into our history, to pre-literate times, and have survived into the modern world. Shamans and witches alike consult the Mother before attempting divination.

So I believe it should also be with Tarot. I know that many people (myself included) pray before laying the cards. More than that, it seems to me absolutely necessary to observe and consult the Moon. In which sign is She? In what relation to other planets? And at which quarter? All these thing will affect both reader and querent.

The condition and position of the moon when the question is asked is of the utmost importance and has its influence on the outcome. Every tarot reader should know enough simple astrology to assess these things.

That's not an accurate generalisation because it ignores the majority of ancient oracular temples that were dedicated to Apollo, Zeus and cthonic deities. Apollo is a Sun God, Zeus is celestial but not lunar and cthonic deities are rarely associated with the Moon, with Persephone being something of an exception.

A strong relationship of the Moon with magic doesn't automatically imply the same kind of relationship with divination.

Barleywine

To carry on (and on-topic to boot!):

Would the Moon card be seen as any less negative if it were ruled by its namesake and not by Pisces? Romantic notions aside, the astrological Moon has its own shortcomings, especially by sign placement. I have a Capricorn Moon (Full at birth), and I've learned most of my important life-lessons by practical experience ("school of hard knocks") rather than intuition, with Saturn as the "gatekeeper" on my emotions. My point is, the Moon is so impressionable and has so many "flavors" conditioned by its "envelope" that it's hard to pin down which is the right iteration to say "This is the Moon card." Maybe the "Moon in Cancer" vibe would be most representative?

ETA: Before anyone brings it up, I see the Sun as maintaining its integrity and acting more "on" its sign, whereas the Moon maintains its flexibility and acts more "through" its sign. One modulates by its singularity, the other is modulated by its container via its inherent multiplicity.