Wild Wisdom of the Faery Oracle

DragonFae

I like the artwork ...for artwork....but one of the first things I noted is that all the fairy girls are beautiful and thin...what no fat faeries with wild unkempt hair.?..or "older" faieries that show the beauty of age...with lined skin and twinkles in their old wise eyes...I think it represents the "myth" of faery rather than faery itself...And if you note...some of the faeries seem exactly the same just in a different setting.

BUT I could deal with the artwork...it is the meanings that throw me...some don't seem to "fit"...some have oodles of meanings and while all cards do...these don't seem to blend together in any coherent way...like they don't have to be the same but they should at least represent or touch upon the same key concept.

I'm not sure its a deck that I will bond with and will speak to me...others may find it wonderful...(as happens with lots of decks) but for me it is not one to rave about.

I will keep it because it is "pretty" and perhaps after some time I will just develop my own meanings for the cards...so we will see.

Tansey Ella

I own a deck by her. I gifted one to someone too. It does not have court cards but that is OK with me. I like her style too. I would not want all my decks to be like that but hers is a nice change. I may get the fairy deck now. thanks for the tip.

geministar

I got this deck a couple of weeks ago. I couldnt help but to treat myself for my birthday. I was sooooo excited and I love it! It is so beautiful and the book is gorgeous and Im just drawing a card a day , sometimes working with a card for a few days.

Ive been enjoying reading this thread to see what everyone thinks of this deck. I really really need to get a bag for it and also it would be great to get a bag for my Dragonfae aswell.

Hearthcricket, I think I might follow your footsteps and look into the bags at Tarot totes, just need to find out if they'll ship to Australia.

deanop13

Faerie Oracle by Brain Froud

Hello Everyone

I have just purchased this book and card set, as it was recommended by a friend. I was stunned when I opened it, the cards are really beautiful and have real depth to them. The more you look at them the more you see. They cover a wide range of fairy beings as well. I spent 2 hours last night just sat looking at the cards, they seem to draw you in, if that makes sense.

The book is well written and encourages you to find your own style with the cards, and to not just rely on what the author thinks.

I have yet to do a reading with them. When I do I will post my thoughts on here.

It is a set that I feel I will be definitely be using for a very long time.

What do other people think of them? Look forward to hearing from you all.

Serenia

I've checked some user profiles and noticed that several people, who were really enthusiastic about the deck in 2009, seem to have sold it in the meantime. Is anyone still using this deck?

I'm not sure whether or not to buy it. On the one hand, it's the only oracle by Lucy Cavendish that I'm still missing and the images look sweet, but on the other hand, it just might be a bit too sweet for me. Another concern is that the box seems to be larger than other Blue Angel oracles so that it'll take up a lot of space. And I've read somewhere that some people seem to find that the book meanings don't really fit the cards?

And does anyone know whether there's a difference between the Blue Angel version and the USG version? And there also seems to be a Llewellyn version which was released 8th May 2014, according to Amazon?

Winterchild

I have the Blue Angel version... Gifted to me... Not played yet, but I too wish there were more variety in the faeries... I prefer more gritty faeries like Frouds... He is hard to beat.... I am deciding wether to create a bag for my deck... Not made one for an oracle before as they usually have decent wee boxes.

lalalibra

I've checked some user profiles and noticed that several people, who were really enthusiastic about the deck in 2009, seem to have sold it in the meantime. Is anyone still using this deck?

I'm not sure whether or not to buy it. On the one hand, it's the only oracle by Lucy Cavendish that I'm still missing and the images look sweet, but on the other hand, it just might be a bit too sweet for me. Another concern is that the box seems to be larger than other Blue Angel oracles so that it'll take up a lot of space. And I've read somewhere that some people seem to find that the book meanings don't really fit the cards?

And does anyone know whether there's a difference between the Blue Angel version and the USG version? And there also seems to be a Llewellyn version which was released 8th May 2014, according to Amazon?

I bought the Wild Wisdom of the Faery Oracle last summer. I just checked the product page (I bought off Amazon), and for the one I bought, the publisher that's listed on the website is: U.S. Games Systems Inc.; Pap/Crds edition (April 10, 2010). The set that came to me says published by Blue Angel. So I'm assuming that US Games is just acting as a distributor (kind of like how they do with the Thoth? as in it's not printed by them, but they sell it)... I do see what you're saying about another version (on Amazon as well) that says published by Llewellyn (May 8, 2014). I'm guessing that it's probably the same case with that, but I'm really not sure.

I bought this deck last year thinking it would be incredible. I really liked the cards (the titles/keywords) since I thought they seemed very versatile, like the deck would probably give great readings. But what happened was that I didn't click with it as well as I had hoped for at the time. My readings with it were 'hit and miss.' Sometimes it was great, but other times, I felt like I couldn't relate the cards to my situations in a way that really resonated as much as I would have liked. I felt I had a better connection with other decks, such as the Froud Faeries' Oracle.

I used the Wild Wisdom deck from time to time with those results, but this past week, I took it out to try again. And all of the sudden this deck is just speaking to me so clearly and so beautifully! The cards I'm getting are just cutting right to the heart of the matter. It's as though all of my intial expectations about this deck have suddenly actualized and this deck is my current favorite because the readings that I've been doing with it have been very profound and more healing to my current situation than any other deck. The readings I've done with this deck have really stuck with me.

I reread the guidebook, and I find the meanings are very deep in that they go beyond the guidebook, but I find the cards to be very intuitive in doing so. So while I think the guidebook is wonderful, some of the card meanings might feel "incomplete" if you don't take them a step further. Some descriptions feel more complete than others. Sometimes the text even rambles a bit in my opinion, but I kind of like the charm in that lol. But the reversals do add that sort of darker side to the meanings which helps make the deck feel more well-rounded.

It's interesting how this deck has been sitting around for so long and only now does it finally click with me, but I think that happens with decks, and that obviously has to do with me and how I mesh with the deck rather than the deck itself. (I'm glad I gave it a chance and didn't sell it!) But, here's the thing -- I don't have too many of Lucy's decks. I only have the Wild Wisdom deck and the Oracle of Shadows and Light (and I used to own Dragonfae) so I can't really compare the usefulness of this deck to all her other decks. But my hunch is that if you like her decks in general, then this one is worth a try. But one thing to note is that the guidebook and a lot of the meanings are geared toward working with the Faery realm (from the standpoint of it being very real), so if that doesn't resonate, that's one thing to keep in mind. But again, if you like her other decks, then that won't bother you.

The artwork is very sweet, but I personally enjoy it. I think it's just one interpretation of Faery and it's not necessarily less accurate in my eyes because I do sense a strong energy from this deck (as in, I don't get the 'just a myth' vibe when I actually use it). But I suppose the artwork is so sweet because Lucy Cavendish does present a view of Faeries as being very sweet (still mischevious and playful, but never "bad" or dangerous)... NOT that unruly looking faeries are "bad;" all I mean is that the artwork "works" in that it somehow fits her representation well.

I recently heard someone say in a review that this deck has a very loving energy, and I agree with that. You often hear people say that about decks, but I really mean it -- the feeling I get from the guidance is very tangible, like it feels very encouraging and strong, and very feminine. It's "sweet" but it's definitely NOT 'too' sweet in a way that leaves me feeling empty.

Serenia

Wow, thank you so much for your detailed review!! :love: I'll probably try to find the deck in a bookstore so that I can see the cards in person.

lalalibra

Wow, thank you so much for your detailed review!! :love: I'll probably try to find the deck in a bookstore so that I can see the cards in person.

Sure, I'm happy it could help in someway! If you do end up getting it, then I hope you love it :)

The cardstock is really nice too! Sometimes lamination bothers me if it's cheaply done, but these are actually really nice. It feels very high up in quality.

Serenia

Judging by the text on the cards, some of the card meanings seem a bit "esoteric" to me, for example "Glimpse", "Crystal Magic", "Gatekeeper" or "Greenman's Door". Other cards seem not very practical, for example "Storykeeper" - what if I don't have anything to write or tell? Do you feel that, nonetheless, the deck lends itself well to questions of everyday life?