WORMWEIRD Tarot anyone?

Tanga

So my Wormweird Tarot arrived today...

Huh... It's so delightfully horrible! :joke:
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/wormweird/

Full of horrid little dead things and spooky silhouettes - on a shadowy backdrop of luminous colour. Perfect hammer horror/ghost ride stuff.
It makes me want to grin creepily, and brings to mind TV shows like "True Blood" - so bad it just becomes brilliant (if you know what I mean. I'm not an avid horror fan - but I do enjoy 'dark fantasy'. Sookie Stackhouse was so much better in it's written form - 'True Blood' kind of went overboard with the story for me :) ).

And - the LWB - which is actually a green A5 size skinny booklet called "Wormweird Codex - or the Anatomy of the Damned" (made me grin even more) - is presented like a hammer horror story of characters being read out aloud.

"...the path to enlightenment has never been so dark" LOL.
The blend of darkness and humour, spattered with bright colour and the air of necromancy really appeals to my dark ironic humour. :thumbsup: :) :)

Shame the cards are:
-on the 'rather large so would faff about alot handling them' side,
-the card stock is too thick and inflexible (bending the cards = cracking/shearing),
-and the shiny coating chips off and scratches easily.
Not designed for use and wear. Pooh. I'm frightened to shuffle them in any way.
And because of this odd shiny coating - the cards are all stuck together in their packaging and I'm having to carefully pry them apart from each other - mindful of not slipping as then a nail might chip off the coating.

Has anyone else got it - and would like to comment on it?

rwcarter

I have it and have used it for at least one Dark Deck Truths exchange. I riffle and bridge and don't remember any issues with the deck. And look at it this way - won't a worn look fit right in with the deck? :D

Rodney

Tanga

I have it and have used it for at least one Dark Deck Truths exchange. I riffle and bridge and don't remember any issues with the deck. And look at it this way - won't a worn look fit right in with the deck? :D

Rodney

What is a Dark Deck truths exchange??? (she says metaphorical pointy ears and horns wiggling interestedly).

You couldn't riffle and bridge with mine! You'd be horrified at the resulting damage.
Perhaps yours is printed on different card stock?

Lol.

As for adding additional wear to improve it's looks - HMMMMMMMMN!

})

rwcarter

What is a Dark Deck truths exchange??? (she says metaphorical pointy ears and horns wiggling interestedly).
It's over in the Reading Circles forum. Happens fairly regularly and we can only use Dark & Gothic decks like the Wormweird.

You couldn't riffle and bridge with mine! You'd be horrified at the resulting damage.
Perhaps yours is printed on different card stock?
I believe I got the first printing and I think there was at least one more printing of the deck. My deck was also bricked, but there is a simple way to "crack" the deck - hold it by top and bottom in one hand and use the other hand to push the middle of the deck towards your palm and then away from it. You should hear a "crack" sound. You can also hold it by the sides and crack it a second time.

Rodney

Nica

I have it and the readings I have done with it have been very good. It reads intuitively, and will do its own thing if you are open to an interaction that is not just defined by a book.

I gifted it also, and the person I gave it to loves it madly and uses it more than his first deck.

Le Fanu

This is a fabulous deck. A sort of freak show, victorian, absinthe-induced stage set. It really is very original - and so authentically "staged" (not photoshopped) that it ends up looking eerily stilted.

However, I never read with it. Too loaded for me as a reading deck, but I do like its visuals

agviz

I'm a big fan of this deck, although some images work better than others. Some of the staged settings are difficult to make out. Others are perfect in their visual legibility and framing. My favorite is The World; it's really quite creepy.

I do like reading with the deck, but not all cards make sense to me and so I more or less save the deck for Halloween and other spooky readings. Overall, I feel the deck was a very clever effort and executed with ghoulish panache.

I highly recommend trimming the woefully large borders from the deck, gilding the borders black (which looks cool and hides chipping), and applying magician's fanning powder to the deck so the cards will spread and shuffle easily. Once doing that, I've had no trouble working with the deck. Attached is an image of my trimmed Wormweird.

Attachments

• Wormweird.jpg
    Wormweird.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 129

Tanga

I'm a big fan of this deck, although some images work better than others...

I highly recommend trimming the woefully large borders from the deck, gilding the borders black (which looks cool and hides chipping), and applying magician's fanning powder to the deck so the cards will spread and shuffle easily. Once doing that, I've had no trouble working with the deck. Attached is an image of my trimmed Wormweird.

OOOOOH... AHA!!!

Thankyou agviz.
What was the ink called exactly - that you used? (have just "one clicked" the fanning powder).

agviz

I think it was an archival Ranger black ink pad.

Another option is a Marks-a-lot pen (thanks LadyBird) which is easier to apply. I've used that more lately because of the ease of use.

The pad is labeled acid-free and the pen is labeled non-toxic, but I can't say if they both share those qualities.