Would like a bit of help please

Maryann

hello

im sorry if this has been covered somewhere but i was hoping you could tell me how best you guys learnt to read tarot. i dont know many people in my area as i moved here a few years ago and never really went out to meet people due to problems with my daughter, so have no one really close to me i can practice on. so thought maybe if you told me how you started it may give me some ideas.

thanks
maryann

Psychebleu

I started reading for myself. When I bought my first deck - a basic Rider-Waite - it came in a set with a more detailed LWB (not an actual little white book), the one by Adam Fronteras. I just read the introduction to the book - then looked through the cards. I immediately did a general Celtic Cross spread for myself that first night. The first few spreads I did for myself I didn't journal - but I soon started taking notes. Also, the first readings for myself weren't about prediction of any kind - but rather I used it as a kind of psychological mirror. My first predictive readings were a spontaneous bonus.

Asenath

Welcome Maryann,

I'm also fairly new. One site that I found quite useful was Joan Bunning's online course http://www.learntarot.com/top.htm

Also, I find that practicing on myself (daily readings and testing out spreads to get a better feel for how the cards work together) as well as the Reading Exchange on this site is really useful. Also, if you're not sure if a reading that you've done is on the mark, try posting your results on the Your Readings forum on this site. I found that really useful from the point of view that you can see how others interpret your readings and how your interpretations are similar or differ.

Good Luck!

tarobones

Joan and Thirteen

I want to encourage you also. Joan Bunning's course, already mentioned is very good. So is our own Thirteen's course. Just click on the link in the upper right hand corner labeled "learn". There is an online basic course as well. I also found using the Rider Waite or Universal Rider Waite to be most helpful in the learning stage. Peace and blessings.....................Michael

Little Baron

Thirteens course here is very good.

Also, journal all of your readings for reflection at a later date.

Daily Draws of one card help me to reflect over how they have worked within my day, which I keep a note on. There is also threads here that you can discuss your daily draws with others - a general one, and also one for The Thoth and The RWS - both in the 'Your Readings' section.

I always think it helps to start small with readings - just one to three cards can gain a lot of information to begin with.

As mentioned, you can post readings here, in the Your Readings section for insight by other members.

Hope that helps
LB

HudsonGray

You can do practice readings on your pets, or for tv characters, if nobody else around you is up for a reading. Once you get 25 posts under your belt you can volunteer to do readings here in the reading section, too! With that you get feedback!

Genna

You´ve got a lot of good advice.
There is a course at
http://university.barnesandnoble.com/
One course has just started(1/8).You need the "Learning the Tarot" book by Joan Bunning and a Rider-Waite deck(although many at the course have clones I use the pocket R-W,and the Universal Waite for this).Oh,and the course is free.Joan Bunnings book is also free to read at her site;although I feel better holding a book in my hands.

huredriel

Hi Maryann,

I haven't been doing tarot very long ... 8 months I think now ...... and I'm afraid I have never touched a book yet! The best place where I've learnt so much is the Reading Exchange here at AT, why not pop over when you have 25 posts and join in with the Circle of Stones. We do a weekly exchange in there and have a different partner to read with each week too. The only other thing I've done is the TABI beginners course which is free (and is run in conjunction with Joan Bunnings site), which I've nearly finished. You may find that of great help. But I thoroughly recommend the Circle of Stones ;)

Many blessings
x Huredriel

PS: You may notice as well in Tarot Fun & Games sections the alphabetical keyword games, I used to do that too :D

Asenath

genna said:
You´ve got a lot of good advice.
There is a course at
http://university.barnesandnoble.com/
One course has just started(1/8).You need the "Learning the Tarot" book by Joan Bunning and a Rider-Waite deck(although many at the course have clones I use the pocket R-W,and the Universal Waite for this).Oh,and the course is free.Joan Bunnings book is also free to read at her site;although I feel better holding a book in my hands.

You can probably get the book at the library. But it's not necessary to have the book. Using the online lessons from her web site or just following the lessons prosted on the B&N site should be enough.

There's actually so much to do in that course, in terms of the all of the exercises that they give you as practice that people often sign up multiple times to get through it!