Wrist Pain while shuffling

velvet

I noticed that while shuffling, I been getting wrist pain and also in the hands. Like the cards keep getting heavier :(. Has anyone had this problem? Maybe I'm shuffling to rigid or too much :/.

starrystarrynight

Carpal Tunnel?

rwcarter

It would help us help you if you described the method you use to shuffle.

Rodney

velvet

I'm not sure how you call it. Its just simple shuffling I take the cards in my right hand, take a small/medium amount with my left hand and I put in the back or in the middle sometimes until the right card comes to my hand.

velvet

starrystarrynight said:
Carpal Tunnel?

It could be because of the repetitive motion that I'm doing with the cards that it could cause Carpal Tunnel. I been resting my hand and it doesn't hurt but if I do it for too long it starts hurting.

rwcarter

You might try dealing the cards into 4-6 piles randomly and then randomly reassembling the smaller piles into a single deck. Or maybe shuffle the cards along their sides instead of top/bottom.

Rodney

canid

There's another condition called DeQuervain's that's similar to Carpal Tunnel, just a different tendon. I've had surgery twice. There's an easy at-home test for it, doctors even use it for diagnosis. Hold your arm out in front of you, make a fist with your thumb inside it & while keeping your arm straight, bend just your wrist downward. If that makes it hurt worse, it's DeQuervain's tendonitis.

nisaba

RSI? (repetitive strain injury)

I recommend buying a wrist-brace (awful ones are in pharmacies, better ones are in ten-pin bowling alleys) and strapping your wrist. I feel you may be curling your wrists inappropriately whilst shuffling, putting strain on them and shuffling fopr long enough to do minor injuries to them. The brace will keep your wrists in a medically safe position , and mean that you'll have to learn to use forearm movements rather than wrist-bends to shuffle. It will be *much* healthier for you.

DrDave

canid is on it
It is a tendonitis (de Quervain is of the brachioradialis muscle) which can be in any muscle around the wrist joint
Treatment is Rest ice compression and elevation RICE

read about tarot for a week it will go away
DD

sweet_intuition

velvet said:
I noticed that while shuffling, I been getting wrist pain and also in the hands. Like the cards keep getting heavier :(. Has anyone had this problem? Maybe I'm shuffling to rigid or too much :/.

Well, according to various alternative healing studies and belief-systems, wrist pains are an indicative of a lack of flexibility and an inability to move on in certain areas of your life, as well as, rigidity and stubbornness.

If this happens solely when you're shuffling cards, then perhaps it is a message from the universe to break away from your old Tarot habits and start with new ones. Perhaps the simplest being, allowing your querent to shuffle the cards instead. Or maybe, discover new ways to connect (or reconnect) with the cards.

If the wrist pain occurs while doing other activities as well, take some time out and introspect. And do see a good doctor (or holistic) healer about it.