X La Rove de Fortvne

Diana

I suppose everyone except me has heard about the Hortus Deliciarum, a 12th Century manuscript from the Alsace region (which unfortunately was destroyed in a fire in 1870). Well, to me it's new. And I am happy to have learned about it. :)

Well, while looking for information on number symbolism in the Middle Ages, I found this picture of the Wheel of Fortune from this manuscript and wanted to share it with you, because.... well, because it's beautiful. I tried to add it as an attachment, but have to make it too small. So here's the web-site and you have to scroll down quite a bit to see it. It's called Rota Fortuna. (Not the one called Ixion, nor Ezekiel, which also both have wheels. You have to scroll down further.)

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~matc/math5.geometry/unit9/unit9.html

Enjoy....

And the web-site is interesting too....

Ross G Caldwell

Thanks Diana,

Diana said:
I found this picture of the Wheel of Fortune from this manuscript and wanted to share it with you, because.... well, because it's beautiful. I tried to add it as an attachment, but have to make it too small. So here's the web-site and you have to scroll down quite a bit to see it. It's called Rota Fortuna. (Not the one called Ixion, nor Ezekiel, which also both have wheels. You have to scroll down further.)

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~matc/math5.geometry/unit9/unit9.html

Enjoy....

And the web-site is interesting too....

I have a good scan of that image in a file of the Wheel of Fortune; Mâle talks about it in one of his books about medieval art ("The Gothic Image" in English I think - French title is different).

I found one in a book previously held in the Visconti Library - it is among a series of illustrations relating to a spiritual ascent-descent
http://www.angelfire.com/space/tarot/alverny.html

The article is not finished, but the Wheel is lovely too (although not as nice as Hortus Deliciarum) and I thought you'd like to see it.

Ross

jmd

Thanks for adding those wonderful renditions, Diana and Ross...

An early 'seven ages' woodcut is also wonderfully reproduced, with images pertinent to some of the Major Arcana, in Manly P Hall's Essay of the Tarot, where the infant looks very Fool-like (complete with dog), the youth as Basteleur, & a few others.

Thanks also for the link which gives reference and image to Ixion - a reference I had totally forgotten about!

kwaw

The Wheel and the Tetractys

Does anyone see a connection with this card (X) and the tetractys? Or is it just me?

In old kabbalistic texts [for example, the sefer Bahir]
the ten sephiroth were called the ten 'crowns', which we may
associate with the concept 'kings' and 'reigns' [ie, will riegn,
reigneth, did reign, reigneth not, phrases that appeared on the wheel of fortune [in latin] in some of the earliest decks]. The wheel of fortune, numbered X [10] and originally having four figures may also be connected to the tetractys [1+2+3+4=10] and IMHO the marseille image also reflects this as can be seen here:

http://hometown.aol.com/kwaw93/myhomepage/personal.html

Also in some older decks (such as the Visconti for example, though perhaps not the best example as it is unnumbered therefore there is no relationship between the 4and10) there are four figures on the wheel [or rather three, with the wheel resting on the back of the fourth], one that:

will reign
does reign
did reign
doesn't reign

reign [also 'king'] in Hebrew = MLK = 90

4x90 = 360

Pretty apt for a 'wheel' don't you think? [Wheel and circle can both
be refered to in the hebrew word Galgal].

Kwaw

jmd

Thankyou kwaw...

Though I had made various reflections on the tetractys and, obviously, the number ten (and hence the Wheel of Fortune), the obvious visual similarity had escaped me... even though the tetractys's 'inner' hexagon, with its outlying three points, had also been observed, as had the six important radials to the wheel, its centre, and the three 'outlying' personages about its rim...

Such an obvious similarity, once pointed!

:):):)

With regards to the ten crowns and its connection to the four states of 'rulership' inherent in the statements of those upon the wheel (I will, do, have, and do not reign), I remain more sceptical. The ten crowns can be said to be, Kabalistically, each actually in a state of rulership in the eternal present...

jmd

In a previous post, I mention the representation of the 'Seven Ages of Man' re-printed in Manly P Hall's little book The Tarot: an essay (isbn 0893143820).

The only reference given by Hall is that it is 'from a woodblock print of the 15th century preserved in the British Museum' (page 9). It would certainly be interesting to be able to confirm the dating of such, for if the case, depending on when in the fifteenth century, it would certainly provide for a quite early Tarot-related image(s), and the usage of a woodblock for the same.

I'm not sure how well the image will appear here, but one can quite accurately see representations of the Fool, of Mars (the Chariot?), of the Hermit, of the Bateleur, of a Page, of, possibly, the World (within the Wheel), of an Angel (Temperance?), and of course of the Wheel of Fortune...

Ross had also earlier linked to a series of images which also includes the seven stages of growth.... Manly P Hall's, if especially read in conjunction with Shakespeare, is wonderfully astounding.

Attachments

• 7 stages sm.jpg
    7 stages sm.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 496

jmd

Another image or great interest is related to the concept of both that perpetual motion from the hand of Fate in the Wheel of Fortune, and that unachievable goal of engineering in designing a perpetual motion machine.

Attached is one such design, drawn by one of the designer-engineer-artist-mason of the Lumiere Cathedrals of late mediaeval times...

It comes from Vuillard de Honnecourt (page 8) dating from between 1225 and 1250. Of especial interest is the number of 'spokes' on this and the standard representations on the Wheel of Fortune on the Marseille.

Attachments

• perp motion machine sm.jpg
    perp motion machine sm.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 150

smleite

I would like to share some of my thoughts about this wonderful card, with its creatures making the wheel turn by themselves, since nobody is forcing them to. This must bear some symbolic meaning; otherwise the image would respect the general depiction of Fortune’s wheels in medieval art, with the goddess Fortuna in charge of the motion! I guess they just don’t know they can stop it (I guess WE just don’t know we can stop it).

About number ten, I like to consider its meaning in two ways: as the number in itself, pointing out the idea of completion of a cycle and beginning of another, and as the graphic symbol, or X. The Tarot wheel in Marseilles decks has six rays (very similar to the Three of Wands picture), but some medieval Wheels of Fortune have four rays, in a way that strongly reminds me of this “X” card… I’m sorry for not being able to set a link to any of these images, but if someone really wants to see one, I’ll try to.

Well, a cross and a circle, probably the two more ancient symbols ever known, form a Solar Cross. Better then using my words, I’ll quote a simple text about it, pulled out from an internet site: “The Solar cross is probably the oldest religious symbol in the world, appearing in Asian, American, European, and Indian religious art from the dawn of history. Composed of a equal armed cross within a circle, it represents the solar calendar- the movements of the sun, marked by the solstices. Sometimes the equinoxes are marked as well, giving an eight armed wheel. (The swastika is also a form of Solar cross.)” (http://altreligion.about.com/library/glossary/symbols/bldefssolar.htm). Another name for a Solar Cross is a Wheel Cross, mainly related to the Celtic tradition.

In the Christian world, this cross got to be represented as an X, I think, due to the symbolic of the Chi-Rho, a combination of the first two Greek letters in the name Christos, a P over an X, latter a P over a cross, often placed within a circle. The loop of the P eventually disappeared, and what remained was a simple cross within a circle. Anyway, and to return to the solar meaning of the Solar Cross, note that the X is the symbol of Light, and used as such in Alchemical notation.

Maybe this could be of some help for someone out there. I myself sense it might have a meaning, but am not sure of what it is. What strikes me the most is the X as a graphic symbol that attracts attention to its centre: the place of no-motion, the only part of the wheel where one can escape from its perpetual turning. God’s place. Then, the card’s number – in a visual sense – reminds me of another symbolic use of an X – a mark, like saying “Hey, it’s here, this is the place”. Like in the Two of Wands, actually.

And then, there is the Sphinx.

The famous riddle of the Sphinx is in itself related to the Wheel of Fortune, of course: "What has one voice, and is four-footed, two-footed and three-footed?" Oedipus answer, "Man, who in childhood creeps on hands and knees, in manhood walks erect, and in old age with the aid of a staff", equals the traditional representations of man ascending, trying to maintain equilibrium on top, and descending the wheel. In medieval art, the Wheel of Fortune is several times depicted as the Wheel of Life (the Ages of Man), whether this happens by inaccuracy, or with a precise symbolic intent.

And, after all, Oedipus got to be made king after solving the enigma! What happened to him latter on, and the meaning of his story as an allegory of Fate, is an issue I believe many have already explored. I won’t also discuss the differences between the Greek and the Egyptian Sphinx; as far as I know, the riddle relates to the Greek one but is often applied to the Egyptian, because of her enigmatic nature. What matters is the way their mixed story was understood in occidental art and symbology – but it could be important to consider that the Egyptian sphinxes are rather benevolent beings, unlike the Greek versions, at least to those who respect the secrets that they guard…

spoonbender

Wow, Smleite, I just wanted to say that I thought your post was very interesting and enlightening! I really hope to see you around the Forum some more :)!

Thanks again,
Spoonbender

Eberhard

Ship of Fools

Sebastian Brant published "Das Narrenschiff" in 1494. His student Jakob Locher created a Latin translation "Stultifera Navis" under his supervision which in turned was translated to English, French, ...

Chapters 37 and 56 use a woodcut attributed to Albrecht Dürer which explains the long ears of the animals in X: it draws from the metaphor of the ass's ears as a hint to the donkey as the body of the fool, this goes back to Apuleios.

Original 1494 German text containing the woodcuts:
XXXVII. Von gluckes fall
LVI. von end des gewalttes