New decks-I'm so excited!

canid

I went to Borders & got some Christmas gifts (one for myself, bad girl) - I got Tarot of the Dead for an ex who is as close to homeless as you can get (150% his fault & choice; no one else's) since he showed an interest in Tarot; I figured if I got him one with fairies unicorns & butterflies he'd get made fun of. And I got Mystical Faerie & Tarot of the Elves. One of the last 2 will be mine, the other for my daughter-in-law, but I just can't decide. She's not really into it much & I'm leaning toward the faerie deck for myself. So, I'm still deciding. Anyone have any of those decks? Do you like? Dislike?

rwcarter

Did you just get the decks or the sets? Both the Mystical Faeries and Elves have pretty hefty companion books that go with them. With or without the companion books, I'd probably say that the Mystical Faeries deck is more accessible than the Tarot of the Elves. So I'd probably give that one to someone who's "not really into it much"....

Rodney

canid

Yeah, it's the whole set. They all are. Well, the Tarot of the Dead came in a large box with a bag & very small book. So, I'm still undecided. The deck my daughter-in-law has now, don't know what it is but the majors have a lot of Egyptian images, but doesn't have images on any of the pip cards & I think that's why she was discouraged. Hmmm still can't decide.

rwcarter

All things being equal then, I'd still say the Faeries cause you can just look up the meaning of a specific card. I know the Elves' companion book is/contains a novel that gives background to what's being depicted in the cards. So unless one reads intuitively that's another level of study one has to undertake in order to get the most out of that deck.

Rodney

canid

Rodney, thanks. Yes, I've decided to keep the Elves. Initially, I was ambivalent because dolls have always creeped me out, even the 'people' in Polar Express. Even as a kid. Couldn't have a doll in the house or I'd have nightmares. Plus, I'm going from Tarot of a Moon Garden to Elves BUT, the Elves deck is, dunno how to say this, uh, a step up maturity wise? More in depth? More...something. Definitely no unicorns fairies or butterflies. I take that back, there are a few butterflies. Just not so cutsie. That's it, cutsie! Do you have this deck?

MysticalMoose

I'd go for the Mystic Faerie too, its a lovely deck, I've been using it a lot this week & got some good results with it. Its very pretty but don't be fooled into thinking these Fae always play nice :)...When I first got the set I thought the companion book was a bit nicey-nicey if you know what I mean, ..but once I started to work with the cards I realised that there is a lot more to the cards than first impressions give...

MM :D

rwcarter

canid,

Yes, I have the deck (actually multiple copies of it), but I've only looked through the cards. I have been involved with other decks and currently don't have the time to devote to getting in tune with this deck. Yes, the Elves definitely is not cutsie! "adult" is a good word as is "dark." If your DIL would be freaked out by any of those facets of the deck, then, yes, the Mystic Faeries would be better for her to have.

Rodney

divinest

I've bought the Mystic Faerie tarot for myself, and I absolutely love it, and I have also come across the Tarot of the Elves, and I got such bad vibes from it. If it had been my set, I would have burnt it immeadiately, but it was somebody else's deck, and I couldn't.

Grizabella

Speaking from experience, I wouldn't give a Tarot deck to someone who wasn't into it much. But I agree with others that the Mystic Faerie would be the one to give if you're going to give her one.

Cat*

canid said:
I got Tarot of the Dead for an ex who is as close to homeless as you can get (150% his fault & choice; no one else's) since he showed an interest in Tarot; I figured if I got him one with fairies unicorns & butterflies he'd get made fun of.
Since you mentioned someone else getting discouraged by a deck with nonscenic minors, I thought I'd mention that the Tarot of the Dead also only has arrangements of the suit symbols on its minors. Which is not to say that a beginner won't be able to read with it, just that their approach would have to be a little different from what is most often recommended for beginners. You'll probably know if this would be a problem or a welcome challenge for your ex. :)

ETA: I don't know either of the other decks you bought, so no opinion/advice on that.