Risk of Liability for "Bad" Readings

Barleywine

Marina's comment on people blaming the cards for bad readings got me thinking about something that deserves its own thread.

How many of you (both professional and amateur) have any formal or structured way to reduce your exposure to liability claims from some unbalanced stranger you've read for who does something self-destructive or socially repugnant and decides to blame the reading and the reader as the cause? That would be right in line with today's litigious society and the tendency to project the blame for heinous behavior on things like movies and video games.

Do you use a reading request form with suitable disclaimers and releases that the querent has to sign in advance? Or do you just make it clear in the run-up to the reading that the insights and advice to be provided reflect possibilities and suggestions, not immutable present or future realities? With the proliferation of on-line reading I can see some crazies trying to capitalize on any angle that might enrich them.

Does anyone know of any cases where this may already have happened?

aranarose

I use the standard, "Reading is for entertainment purposes only..." disclaimer. Have been reading for 20 years, and never had a problem.

amethyst57

never had problems like that myself...had some people ask in the entertainment vein, and find the cards ring true...that's always cool to spark someone's belief in them...

it just depends on the sitter's beliefs...if they get readings for fun, fine;
or if they do believe the cards, know they don't lie, and take their 'medicine'...
if the cards are dead on, they should take them into consideration...pursue more readings, or get a deck for themselves...

all you really have to do is ask your sitters which way they lean...

think those that get pissed off about readings, maybe start suing readers, have a few screws loose...they need some serious introspection, not a lawyer...

celticnoodle

just make it clear in the run-up to the reading that the insights and advice to be provided reflect possibilities and suggestions, not immutable present or future realities?
this is what I do. upfront and leave it at that.

Does anyone know of any cases where this may already have happened?
in some states here in the U.S., it is against the law to read cards or any other type of divination practice w/o posting that it is done for entertainment purposes only. thankfully, in my current living area, I don't have to post this before reading, however, I do tell my clients that the insights and advice that is given by me are only possibilities and suggestions, as stated above.

that said, my cousins first husband was an undercover police officer in a state where it was the law for people who did any kind of divination to post a sign that it was for entertainment only. those who did not post this would be arrested and charged. He often had to go and arrest these people though he thought it was rather silly to do so. Some times it is a law only for specific towns within a state as well.

nisaba

Meh. I did my first paid reading in 1981. I went through a many-year-period where I read out of two venues four days a week, getting six-to-ten readings a day. Not one single person since 1981 has come back to me with a lawyer. You can get too concerned. <shrug>

214red

Get insurance and get covered then they can try to claim if they like

SunChariot

I use the standard, "Reading is for entertainment purposes only..." disclaimer. Have been reading for 20 years, and never had a problem.

Me too, I spoke to a lawyer before putting up my site and they said you pretty well have to say that. I HATE it as to me it devalues what we do somehow. But it seems you hgave to say it. I also have that you have to be 18 years and over to have a reading through my site.

But, no, I have never had a problem. I am also very careful if someone requests a future reading to explain how the future works and that things can change. I will only then do the reading if they agree wtih that understanding. So hopefully that helps.

Babs

greatdane

Law vs. querents?

I only read for myself and one friend. I don't charge. But if I did read for others, I would be more concerned about getting in trouble with the law by not posting what I needed to than someone suing me for a "bad" reading! From what CelticNoodle said running afoul of law enforcement and local laws sounds like something to be concerned with, not so much if someone would sue. However, if some disreputable readers tell people something horrid as an absolute, rather than a possibility, and that person acts on it, I don't know....maybe they could be sued? But I think even that would be hard to prove.

flyingwind66

I know a reader who always says "this is not to replace the advice of a lawyer or psychologist"

CornissMagorniss

"Caution! Contents may be hot!"