Risk of Liability for "Bad" Readings

nisaba

How many of us, especially the longer-term readers, have actually been taken to court by a client? I haven't in decades (or ever), and I'm willing to bet it's vanishingly close to zero. People can get anxious about the strangest things.

The crowned one

When I blow it, I find they are not upset, but rather they are confused. How could what I foresaw be wrong and not manifest itself in some way or form in their life? What did THEY do wrong to wreak my reading. This I feel is more of the norm for those that leave happy at the end of a reading. Those that are hostile from beginning to end, well that is a different story, and again no lawyers are involved, just attitude and and a closed mind. Fair enough, the reading for them ends when they go their own way. Those that what i say turns up in their lives are often very very surprised and become our strongest supporters. Most of that persuasion just forget it whether it happens or not I suspect.

Sulis

How many of us, especially the longer-term readers, have actually been taken to court by a client? I haven't in decades (or ever), and I'm willing to bet it's vanishingly close to zero. People can get anxious about the strangest things.
I wouldn't class myself as a 'longer-term reader' but I agree with Nisaba here. How many courts would take someone seriously if they said 'a tarot reader told me'? Honestly we're not doctors, lawyers, nurses or health professionals; we're tarot readers. I honestly don't see any problem with legal liability.

greatdane

Question Please

OK, I'm not a professional reader, but was wondering, not about legit readers, but do you suppose those who told someone they would die or a loved one would die the next day and then that person committed suicide or something, do you think they would be held liable?

I know that's no one here. I'm just asking what all you legitimate readers think about what would happen to those who sully the name of the reading profession by doing or saying things they shouldn't.

I'm also wondering about the line between those who might be scam artists to separate people from their money by telling them only THEY can tell them their future and charge huge sums and legitimate readers. Where is the line and is there a line? I'm sure those of you who have done this for some time have come across readers who, well, shouldn't be readers, but since there's no real regulation (nor am I suggesting there necessarily should be), how can one get the scam artists out and what would define a scam artist? Promising something and charging huge sums? I've always wondered about this and wondered about what legitimate readers think.

THANK YOU for any replies.

GD

Freddie

Great thread all.

I have went to see three famous psychics in England recently (in large venues) and they all said that by law they have to say that it is for entertainment purposes only before the show starts. As Derek Acorah said at one of them "They don't make the preachers say that on Sunday though". He is spot on.

I had a sitter get very cranky last year with me when I failed to pick up that she was going to get a letter from the goverment saying she owed three years of back council tax. She knew she wasn't paying it like she was supposed to, but still came up to me at work and gave me crap about it. Duh, I felt like saying I only promised you I could give you helpful advice, not be able to fix stupid.

Freddie

Anna

3 years ago a Tarot Reader predicted my Mother in Law would be dead within six months.

She's still very much alive.

Sometimes Tarot readings are just crap. Even good readers can give dodgy readings from time to time. I ALWAYS make a point of telling clients that the future is in their hands, and telling them that tarot reading is not an exact science and they can be off sometimes.

And I never predict the death of relatives.

Alta

Duh, I felt like saying I only promised you I could give you helpful advice, not be able to fix stupid.

Freddie
And I never predict the death of relatives.
:laugh: Lots of great replies here but those two tickled my funny bone.

I was a weather forecaster while I was working and I know we sometimes wondered if we could be sued for being wrong. Notice how few lawsuits there are about weather forecasts? Or economic forecasts?

Apparently the government lawyers finally decided that an individual forecaster could only be sued if it could be proved that s/he had been grossly negligent at their job and if they had made their best effort, given that they are in effect forecasting the future, with all the uncertainty that entails, that they couldn't be sued. Even if a plane crashed or some such.

joujou

I know a reader who always says "this is not to replace the advice of a lawyer or psychologist"

i love that!!! i usually only read for family/friends, but i'm totally using that line :)