Crystal sound and vibration

wildchilde

I am enchanted with the idea that we all put out a particular tone :) how cooool! lol! I am trying to imagine how mine sounds :) my inner voice is giving me a clear, alto bell tone.

I have to find some courses/workshops like the ones you are taking! lol! They sound awesome!

Understanding a bit more about sound/tone in healing is definitely worth exploring, especially when dealing with crystals and their vibrations. As far as your own "crystalline tone", while you can rely on your inner voice, it is actually easiest just to open your mouth and let the sounds flow out! Simply sing out the C major scale to find the "key" (do-re-mi-fa-so-la-ti) and/or use their corresponding tones/vowel sounds for each major chakra (uh, ooo, oh, ah, eye, aye, eee). This is the simplest way and you will very quickly find "your" tone. Your crystalline tone may take a bit of practice to become aware of but once you hear it/feel it in yourself or with someone else there will be no mistaking it. It is the tone you make that has a resonance throughout your entire system and has depth and breadth unlike any of the other sounds you make while toning. Often, these toning sounds in groups sound like whales or dolphins or perhaps stars communicating with each other, and in group toning they are definitely used to bring harmony to the world(s) and all inhabitants...it is the same principal with mantras, Tibetan chants, Native American sacred songs, crystal singing bowls, and all the myriad ways that human kind has found to communicate and heal through sound, vibration, and tone. Like with crystals, I do find that there are certain sounds that I don't "resonate" easily with, nor do I find them pleasurable a lot of the time. For me, it is usually the two lowest register sounds oh (base), ooo (sacral)...although over time these have gotten easier for me to make and to hear.

I really haven't ever done any "workshops" on this type of healing although I would love to!! I believe we all have within us the capacity to heal ourselves and others and my entire life path has been based on this premise. And lucky for me and all of us, there are always those who blaze the path before us who are willing to share their wisdom and understanding. For sound healing information, the two best internationally known ones I have come across are Jonathan Goldman (also check out his online Temple of Sacred Sound!! to experience toning first hand) and also Ted Andrews' (RIP) 1992 book, excerpted here, Sacred Sounds. Incidentally, he also has a great section in the back of this book regarding geometric shapes that could be applied to crystal cuts and a very short table on crystals and their sound vibration correspondences.

I tried to find something online a bit more detailed, but haven't had much luck as yet. I did find this website that might be helpful to some. But I think as a rule of thumb (with of course a few exceptions along the way) we can pretty much use the scale/color system to know what areas the crystal resonates to:

C (uh)***Red/Black/smoky***Base/Root Chakra***Grounding
D (ooo)***Orange***Sacral Chakra***Life Energy
E (oh)***Yellow***Solar Plexus Chakra***Self-Esteem
F (ah)***Green***Heart Chakra***Love
******note: I would imagine F# is the higher heart=pink=compassion
G (eye)***Blue***Throat Chakra***Communication
A (aye)***Indigo***Brow/3rd Eye Chakra***Insight/Wisdom
B (eee)***Violet/White/clear***Crown Chakra***Transcendance

***note: for me personally, the white and clear usually correspond with higher etheric chakras but I don't want to overly complicate things on this "chart"

***note: for purposes of ease of understanding I have used Jonathan Goldman's correspondences of tonal notes and chakra meanings. Your mileage may vary. ;)

Here is the thing, though: I am trying to collect as many different tumblestones as I can find for medicinal purposes - much like having, say, Benadryl in the cabinet in case I ever have a severe allergic reaction ;p and, the other night my husband cut himself, and actually asked me for a crystal to stop the bleeding! lol! When I looked at the list for that purpose, carnelian and chalcopyrite occupied the top of the list - mostly due to copper content, I think. I didn't have any. How upsetting! We had to make do with a copper bracelet, which seemed to indeed help stem the flow. But I think a good pharmacopea of stones to hand is a good idea - even if I never use them all...so, much as you said: have them, but you may never use certain ones - but to try from time to time...

Ok. So the "I hate it, hence I need it" theory is flawed. Buy the ones you want to "nom nom" to wear, and leave the rest in the pharmacy cabinet for the "break glass in case of" moments! lol...

oh and, Wild, I saw you mention this in another thread, and I think you are right: my tourmaline has a distinct feminine feel to it. :)

I absolutely love the "medicine cabinet" theory! I think this is a great way to describe the path of crystal healing. It really is the same principal as being an herbalist (or kitchen healer)...having the "right" thing on hand at the right time and knowing how to use it/"prescribe" it for others. This is definitely the approach I have been trying to take as well. And of course I love the added bonus of getting to experiment with the healing properties of each crystal myself! (and as far as I know none of these crystals is going to kill us like hemlock or something! than again, we have already discussed that powdered malakite and overuse of some crystals can have pretty dire effects!)

HA! I don't remember saying that about tourmaline, but I would not doubt that I did! hehe :) Most of the time I only consider the masculine/feminine issue in regard to the shape/intent of the stone. However, I do believe that some stones are better suited for either sex in the pharmacology aspect...such as Moonstone being more suited for feminine issues and obsidian being a testosterone builder etc.

Padma

Miiiiii....eeeeeee! lol :) WildChilde, that was *awesome* information! Wow! What a wonderful info resource you are on healing and the crystals ;)

Ok, so I have a question now - does ""mi" from do re mi correspond to eee? ;) I was testing myself. And though I have always known about healing through tone (but only microscopically! lol) and understood why singing and music were very important to health, I never tried to find the sound that made me feel like I was resonating. Interesting that it takes a few tries of running up and down the scale to actually percieve it and feel it, really.

Now I have to go look up the eee chakra lol...

(I love this sharing of information, I love how every word from every person, every phrase added to a thread, makes one more and more curious, and discovering more and more of the inner self/Universe and outer self/Universe connection :) I love how beautifully the info is summed up in a small space, how we all reach out to help each other learn and grow, and how we all support each other :D Yay! )

Hemera, WildChilde, and Chronata, thanks for the wonderful information-sharing and your wonderful and intelligent and stimulating views :) this is sooo cool!

ETA: I reread your post again, WildC, and I saw the eee sound was related to the crown chakra and the purple stones or clear ones - but what I love is the black or green or red stones (deep, dark red) the only purple stone I like is Alexandrite...not fond of clear ones, though I don't mind Citrine too much...(sort of puts my teeth on edge. I think the frequency is too high.) I love green tourmaline and the deep green of Vesuvianite. So, how to explain the discrepancy? Any thoughts, please? And why do green stones relate to the heart, as well as pink ones - when I am not super fond of pink stones but love green ones? (-exception, pink tourmaline - but more like the redder stuff, the rubellite..) And, if the higher pink of F is compassion, what does this mean - that I lack compassion but love myself? lol! I had a hard time choosing beetween mi and fa, if that helps - but fa felt like a minute bit of stretching, where mi felt very natural.

ps just because you like amethysts, WildChilde, doesn't mean I don't like you! lol! I am sure Chronata must feel that way too *wink* :) you rock! (hahaha- bad pun ;p)

Padma

I am becoming confused- I don't know much about pitch, so how can i tell if I am saying a tone that relates to the note C, or the note B flat, etc? Any ideas?

frac_ture

I am becoming confused- I don't know much about pitch, so how can i tell if I am saying a tone that relates to the note C, or the note B flat, etc? Any ideas?

This might help you out, LP: An online piano keyboard!

And I'm following this thread with interest, but some of you are saying good stuff before I've had the chance to get there! And wildchilde, thanks for the great info and links! I hadn't ever come across vowel sounds or notes as correspondences for the chakras, so I want to experiment with some of that now...

Oh, and I'm in the "I <3 Amethyst" camp, for sure -- it was the very first stone I bought myself when getting into crystals, and I find myself still most drawn to the violet end of the spectrum (including a lot of the indigo and blue stones). I love how we're all wired so uniquely...

Padma

This might help you out, LP: An online piano keyboard!

And I'm following this thread with interest, but some of you are saying good stuff before I've had the chance to get there! And wildchilde, thanks for the great info and links! I hadn't ever come across vowel sounds or notes as correspondences for the chakras, so I want to experiment with some of that now...

Oh, and I'm in the "I <3 Amethyst" camp, for sure -- it was the very first stone I bought myself when getting into crystals, and I find myself still most drawn to the violet end of the spectrum (including a lot of the indigo and blue stones). I love how we're all wired so uniquely...

ZOMG! Frac_ture, that virtual keyboard is *awesome*! Lol! what fun! It also made me see the three notes I most liked was c, d, e, f - with c being my fave :) yay! That was incredibly helpful! lol....So if C is root, and the red and black stones, then I know why I like them so! lol! F is about as high as I am comfy with - after that, the tone grates a bit. So I know two why I like green stones, and why yellow is ok too from time to time. But I guess I am root chakra gal - which explains a looooooot..... ;p

Sweet frac_ture, all purple and spiritual :) cool for you! So amazing how there are stones and colours for each one of us, and how some resonate more than others... ;) and hey, for every one of us who dislikes the purple amethyst - it means there are more kicking around for those who do! lol!

I do have a question about tourmaline, though - if my ring is darkest indicolite, blue and green verging on black, do I go with the blue and green tones and chakras, or the black it looks like?

ETA I said three notes but mentioned four! lol..it is the d, or "Re" that gets me - I don't love it. ;p

Padma

so...what notes or tones are all of you here in the Crystal Cave, I am dying to know :) Do say!

Padma

ok, so this is not as easy at it seems. I have used the sites provided by both WildChilde and Frac_ture, in regard to tone/cahkras/colours/crystals, and it is not immediately apparent what resonates best - I had to try over and over again to understand what frequency I resonate at - and am still not sure I have it right. It is really worth the effort, though! (thanks so much, WildC and Frac!)

I am redefining it to C and F - which also explains a lot :) funny that though D doesn't bother me *too* much, I am not comfy with it - and I do have problems in that area. So it is like an intuitive pull-back when I hear the chord...this is so fascinating! I cannot thank WildChilde and Hemera and Frac_ture enough for their insights on tone...but it baffles me as to why the higher notes drive me bonkers.

Is there any explanation to this? Does it have to do with my inability to use amethyst...? Please, let me know your views, since this won't just affect me, but everyone else who is wondering about their tone/chakra/colour/crystal :) Any ideas are happily accepted!

frac_ture

I have a suggestion for you, LP, if you feel like trying it...

Instead of playing a note on the keyboard, and then matching it with your voice, see what happens when you do the opposite... Begin by stepping away from the keyboard entirely -- maybe even leave that room for a few minutes, go get a drink of water, step outside for a breath of air, whatever might slightly disengage you from your previous attempts...

Next, find a good place where you can make tones using just your own voice. For the moment, rather than using any of the syllables that wildchilde provided us with, try maybe just humming -- that is, make a pure "mmm" sound. This might help you to not fixate on which syllable means what. Take a nice deep breath from your diaphragm, and then slowly let it out as you maintain a nice, calm, steady humming sound...and see what feels most comfortable in terms of pitch/placement. To put it another way, don't try to match a pitch from outside yourself -- just see which pitch is absolutely the most comfortable when your voice is providing the only sound in the room -- which tone is the one that your throat, your body, your "instrument" gravitates toward most naturally? When you think you've found it, just to double-check, try humming at a slightly higher pitch a couple of times and see if it's any less "right" for you. If so, test in the other direction by humming at lower pitch than the one that you think is "yours." If that also seems to be "less you" than the one you'd been settling on, bring it on home by returning one last time to that "magic pitch" to be really, really sure it's the one for you. Once you're certain...return to that keyboard and see if you can then determine what pitch it is by playing one note at a time on the virtual piano until you land on the matching key. That might help you to get around whatever block is frustrating you doing it keyboard-first... Worth a shot, I'd say...

I actually tried both methods (playing notes on the piano and then matching them with my voice...and then just arriving at the best pitch for me with my voice, and then finding out which note it is on the piano).

Guess what? Using the first method, I ended up with B -- the note that corresponds to the crown chakra and all the purple stones. And using the second method...I ended up with B -- the note that corresponds to the crown chakra and all the purple stones. And I didn't cheat, honest! What a cool exercise!

And with that, I'm off to bed early (on a Friday night -- the party never ends at Chez Frac_ture!)...long day ahead tomorrow, and I needs my rest. Happy Weekend, everyone!

Padma

great advice, Frac_ture! I still ended up with C, both ways :) so I guess I really am a root chakra gal. Thanks SO much for your input - I am sure it will be invaluable to all who try this. :D It certainly explained your love of amethyst, and mine of garnets!

What did the others come up with...? :) Yes, you! I wants to know! lol! This is SUCH a great exercise in getting to know yourself, your chakra and your stones...why they appeal - or repel.

I still have a question, though (WildChilde, feel free! You started this! Lol!) so if I resonate to the root chakra, then...that means I am that type of person? Is it because my other chakras need more attention, or is it ok to live happily and comfortably here in the roots? lol!

Hemera

moderator note

moderator note

The posts above have been moved from another thread (Why repulsed by some crystals?) which is why the discussion may seem a bit patchy.

sorryyy...:p