Self reading help

Emma_Leviathan

I've tried looking everywhere in the forum for post on tips for reading for ones self, but I can't find any! :( So it'd be nice if someone found links to some post about self reading.
Also, lately my daily tarot cards have been a bit off! For example yesterday my daily tarot card was the 8 of swords but I had a fantastic day! It's very frustrating and it makes me feel like I am incapable of doing daily cards let alone self readings.
What exactly do you do when you do try self readings? :)

Glass Owl

Oh, here is another thread too. While the title of it mentions self-discovery, there is a lot of discussion in the thread about reading for one's self as well as Mary K. Greer's book, "Tarot for Your Self!"

http://tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=173669

Grizabella

That 8 of Swords just might be referring to your feeling as though you're not able to read for yourself. You had a great day otherwise, so it seems to me that's what it refers to---your feeling constricted and blocked with the cards.

starrystarrynight

Also, when you read one card for a daily spread, you have to consider the whole scope of the card's energy (as you would in any reading you do, actually!) So, the Eight of Swords can suggest having a breakthrough of some sort...figuring out something that may have been eluding you or pushing through some obstruction you have been facing...throwing off the blindfold and the chains that have been binding you. Might part of your "good day" have to do with something like that?

SunChariot

I've tried looking everywhere in the forum for post on tips for reading for ones self, but I can't find any! :( So it'd be nice if someone found links to some post about self reading.
Also, lately my daily tarot cards have been a bit off! For example yesterday my daily tarot card was the 8 of swords but I had a fantastic day! It's very frustrating and it makes me feel like I am incapable of doing daily cards let alone self readings.
What exactly do you do when you do try self readings? :)

For me. its a matter of learning to be objective and not caring what comes up. It means turning off any feelings you have to what the outcome is and welcoming whatever comes. It means that all you want to see is the truth, because that IS where you are now and where we are heading now can be changed if we don't like it if we are armed with the knowledge of it.

Its the attitude that if what you want is heading your way that's great. If the cards tell you you are heading where you don't want to....even better! That is a true gift to you to know it.

It's all quite logical really. Sometimes in life we are heading where we want to be, sometimes not. But the future can be changed. And the only way we can change it is by seeing it exactly as it ls.

Put another way, if something you did not want was coming and you did not know it.... what would happen?

You would not change a thing and keep heading there and one day there you would be and it would happen. Do you really WANT the cards to tell you just what you want to hear if that is not the truth of the situation?

IF something were about to happen that you don't want, and the cards tell you so... That is where the real fun begins. That gives you the ammunition to do more readings on how to correct the situation. You can ask things like what is wrong that things are heading in the wrong direction. What is leading them there, And best of all, what steps can you take to change direction now and to end up where you wan to go. And yes, these really do work.

It's about remembering and having faith that the future is fluid and changable and most things the cards show you can be changed. But how can you set out to change things if you don't know what's coming? Or even that anything needs changing?

When you really adopt that attitude, that all you want is the truth whatever it is. And that hearing you are not headed where you want is MUCH better than having the cards lie to you, if that is the truth....then you have no fear of anything that can come up and you can stay objective.

It's about the understanding that the cards don't predict THE future, but just one of many. And that you can change path if you so chose if you know the truth of where you are. Not to be too corny but "the truth will set you free" if you let it.

Although I don't think that anyone can read well for themselves on very emotional issues. Then it can get too hard to read for youself. and it is best to let someone else do those readings.

Those are my views on that.

Babs

Glass Owl

Thank you for those empowering words, SunChariot. Readings about one's self can be difficult, especially if one is so emotionally invested in a particular *outcome.* And you are so right, it is important to stay as objective as possible. All too often it seems like Tarot is mistakenly viewed as the *final say* in a matter and that the future is carved in stone. I think that approaching Tarot with a constructive frame of mind and the knowledge that things can and do change can make a big difference.

Thank you once again for putting into words what I'm thinking but find difficult to express.

SunChariot

Anytime. :heart: That's why we're all here.

Not only is what the cards predict not usually the final say, but the cards can be used as a tool to create the future you want. They can do much more than predict.

EG We don't have to ask about if we can get that job we want. We can ask what steps we can take now that will help us get that job, and increase our chances dramatically. There is much more that we can do with the cards besides predictions.

Babs

Emma_Leviathan

Also, when you read one card for a daily spread, you have to consider the whole scope of the card's energy (as you would in any reading you do, actually!) So, the Eight of Swords can suggest having a breakthrough of some sort...figuring out something that may have been eluding you or pushing through some obstruction you have been facing...throwing off the blindfold and the chains that have been binding you. Might part of your "good day" have to do with something like that?

Hmm I never thought of it like that. As a matter of fact in
Don't really look at the pictures on the cards and more so the actual meaning to the cards . I guess when I'm put in a situation where the cards dot make any sense, I will looke at the pictures instead of the meanings.