Is buying tarot decks like buying cars?

lacewing

I think I am experiencing sticker shock/buyer's remorse and fear of blue book value. While my greedy eyes see so many decks I would like, I am feeling overwhelmed by learning the new decks that I have (sticker shock/remorse). And worse, I have been looking at my new last week Ukiyoe and Norse Tarot that are both in shrink. It's like driving a new car off the lot. Once I open that OOP deck the value drops. I think I feel better when I buy used decks!
Having said that, I think I will go to my local metaphysical shop this afternoon and take a few test drives with some new decks.

jackdaw*

If you're only buying them to let them appreciate in value, then sure. In which case you're probably not that interested in them personally as Tarot decks and it won't harm you to leave them untouched.

Otherwise, rip off that cellophane and ENJOY the decks!!

lacewing

Oh, I would enjoy them! :) I am new to tarot and have acquired ten decks in my first month, so do feel overwhelmed. The real problem, of course, is that I told my husband they were a good investment. Fortunately, he has a short memory and a kind heart! I am an artist, so love the art and some of them will be to look at!

Sophie

lacewing - if you are an artist, do yourself a favour and open the Ukiyoe!!!

It's so beautiful, I can't tell you. I look at it and read Japanese love poems at the same time (that was Cerulean's suggestion, the Japanese poems - she has great ideas on how to use decks), and my world becomes that little bit more exquisite.

Ten is probably enough to start with though :eek:

(and no, they are not like cars. And besides, once they get sufficiently OOP, then even used decks sell).

Abrac

Hi lacewing

I think you are experiencing something many tarot fans have experienced. I know I sure have.

Buying and collecting tarot cards is great; and I believe a person should do whatever makes them happy in this regard. But you have to exercise caution, like with anything else. If you don't monitor yourself, you could wind up in financial trouble with a lot of useless merchandise you don't want and can't get rid of.

-fof

cynthia padley

Tarot cards - excitement

Know what you mean about buying the tarot cards, yesterday afternoon I bought the Faerie Oracles, and just placed an order on Amazon.com again!

I am having so much fun , but it is so much to read and to learn all this!

Also, I'm into stones and crystals at the same time!

Happy Taroting!

Cynthra

sharpchick

I think a lot of people make frequent and sudden acquisition of decks in the beginning of their journey with tarot, particularly if the first deck or two were easy for them to read and understand tarot with. I know I did.

Now I have a better understanding of the types/styles of decks I'll probably get at least some reading use from. Every deck I buy does not have to be one with which I'll read every day - although for the first couple of months after I've gotten a deck, I will read with it every day to get to know it. As I'm doing that, I often decide, "Hey, this deck would be really good for relationship readings, this is a great one for spiritual readings, etc." None of my decks really collect any dust ;)- but of course, I only have twelve tarot decks and three oracle decks.

WolfSpirit

No, buying tarot decks is nothing like buying cars. Which is why I don't have a car at the moment and many decks :D
When I wanted to buy a car, I always had to bring a technical man with me. I would look at a nice colour or model and he would come with practical advice like: the motor on that one won't last, it will rust from under you, etc.
Now with decks - I can just follow my intuition and buy what I like, and I am usually right.
Then, you take the car home, and the costs only start (petrol, tax, maintenance). Decks, you spend money once and you can use it as much as you want for free (minus a little wear, that might even make it more interesting). You could splurge on accessories like a bag or a cloth, but that is about it.
And the MOT is also a doddle: all you have to do is, check if all the cards are still there, and if you still like the deck enough to keep it. Some people also think cleansing is part of it, but the beauty is: if you believe that is not necessary, it is not (now compare that to car maintenance !)

Having said this, if you buy a lot of decks in little time, it is good to refrain from buying for a while to get to know what you have. Decks you find you really don't like enough you can always try to trade or sell.
I never bought decks for investment, but I find now I have some decks in my collection that are worth more now than what I paid for them.

memries

lacewing

I am in the same mess you are !!! I have not been reading Tarot that long..about a year now. Whereas I thought everyone would be judgemental of me reading, I was totally wrong. Guess that is what friend's and family are. Now everyone wants to buy me a deck and I say, "No no thanks" I am studying one deck. The more I study the more I realize I don't know ! LOL
So at the moment I have 5 or 6. We went downtown and sure enough my son wanted to buy me another deck ! I declined, really I am surfeited with them at the moment. There will come a day when I can discriminate enough to choose which to proceed with. I was tempted to buy the Thoth but resisted as I had read it is a whole different ball game reading that one.
The art work is just so wonderful and I do look at them a lot on here if I just didn't want to read them it would be fine.
I am working on RRW and Buckland Romani and they are similar but not the same. I have the Druid Craft Tarot ahead of me (a gift) and a couple of others as well. My daughter insisted on buying me the Fairies Oracle (a birthday present) and it is way beyond me.
Anyway between the books I have bought and never read and the cards it is going to take ages. I am happy though surrounded by all these things so guess that is the name of the game.
Happy learning !!!!!!!!!!!

souljourney

I don't think there is much similarity between buying decks and cars.
Cars = EXPENSIVE
Decks = not so expensive.
I could buy a new deck a month, but not cars.

I do sometimes get buyers remorse though, and I have felt that way about both decks and cars.