uncooperative deck

YedaOfSwatlandia

I just got a new deck (The Archeon Tarot), and although I've been working with it rigorously, I can't get a decent reading out of it for the life of me! I've only ever read with two other decks (the Thoth and Robin Wood), and both of them "worked" immediately. This one is way off on everything, though. Is there anything I can do to get better readings? Or am I doomed to just admire the pretty pictures?

a_shikhs

Hi Yeda,
I recently bought the Archeon Tarot and love the artwork. Its a beautiful deck. I havent yet read with this deck and yes, it does look a little difficult and maybe requires more hardwork with compared to other decks. You can read the small booklet that comes along with it. And basically you need to use your intuition a lot for this deck.

There is a study group also for this deck here.. Maybe you can learn a lot from there.. Best of luck with your new deck.. :)

full deck

Yes Yeda, I would spend time just looking at the deck and shuffling it, just to familarize myself with it.

As for it not "working" in readings, a person who reads Tarot can work with almost any deck, unless the reader just really hates the deck. It is the reader that does the work, not the deck. To quote someone, it is a poor craftsman that blames his tools. Sorry if that sounds harsh but I can't blame my piano if I can not play a certain piece of music. It's on me -- good or bad.

Talisman

So logical

full deck said:
Yes Yeda, I would spend time just looking at the deck and shuffling it, just to familarize myself with it.

As for it not "working" in readings, a person who reads Tarot can work with almost any deck, unless the reader just really hates the deck. It is the reader that does the work, not the deck. To quote someone, it is a poor craftsman that blames his tools. Sorry if that sounds harsh but I can't blame my piano if I can not play a certain piece of music. It's on me -- good or bad.

How can you argue with what full deck says here ? Intellectually, I agree with him completely.

And yet . . . and yet . . . Tarot is not about logic, 'cause I believe that if you could explain it logically, it wouldn't work. There is absolutely no logic to the movement of particles. The movement of particles changed a view of the universe 'cause according to current particle theory they are so completely random.

And yet . . . Enough particles form solid matter, like the chair you are sitting on. If it keeps you off the floor it's probably working.

The quality of what is revealed by a system depends on the values contained in the system. So, it is a Tarot deck. It should work.

But just like there being no observable cause for the random movement of particles, sometimes a Tarot deck just doesn't fit.

Keep trying, Yeda, shuffling the cards, looking at the cards, playing with the cards. They may suddenly click. But if you do reach a point where they don't work -- give up. And don't blame yourself.

You can sail a long way from "it should work" before you reach the shores of "it does work."

Lot'sa luck,

Talisman

Sophie

I wouldn't blame yourself or the poor inanimate deck. You've received some good advice - about shuffling, getting to know the deck, etc. It sounds like you've done all that already. You say you've been working with your deck rigorously. Maybe it was too rigorous! Sounds like you need to loosen up a bit, be more playful and exploratory, don't force your hand or the deck.

But then - sometimes the mayonnaise just doesn't take ;)

Dulcimer

There are several broad catagories we can put Tarot cards in (I make no apologies for being a Sword lol), and probably the hardest catagory to read are those in the "artistic" group. The Archeon is a prime example. It is a truly beautiful deck, but, as is usually the case, it is very personal to the artist. This can make it very difficult to relate to our own understanding. Unlike the "practical" decks such as the Thoth and RWS, where their designs are made to draw the reader in, the "artistic" decks seem to be made to communicate out to the reader. Thus they are harder to read. So, by extension, you'll need to get into the artist's mind; see how s/he sees to read the cards.

I agree with full deck when he says "a person who reads Tarot can work with almost any deck," but I would add "eventually" to that. Not every deck can have an immediate resonance with the reader. Sometimes they require patience and hard work. Speaking as a craftsman ;), to carry full deck's analogy further, a craftsman, if presented with a new and exotic tool, will take a little time to get used to it.

Emily

Hi Yeda,

I too am awaiting delivery of the Archeon. I know this deck will be a challenge to read with as I've been spending time on the website and have found that it might even fall into the category of an 'Art' deck - the symbolism on some of the cards is very hard to see.

When the deck comes my plan of action is just to sit with the deck and shuffle and just look through them for a couple of days, writing down feelings that come with looking at the images (intuitive reading). It might follow the RWS system I'm used to, it might not - infact I don't think it will so I'll get the challenge I'm after.

Sometimes decks don't click right from the beginning but you find the Archeon relates to you on some level or you wouldn't like it. Try the intuitive method of reading them and see if that helps. :)

Apollonia

Hi, Yeda! Can you give an example of a reading that was off?

My other question is whether you tend to read according to traditional card meanings, or intuitively by what the illustrations say to you. Maybe this deck is calling to you to switch up the way you read when you use it.

That having been said, I have tried to read with decks where my mind just goes blank. Those I usually put away for a while (two years sometimes) and take them out again when I feel inspired to do so.

YedaOfSwatlandia

Thanks to everyone for all the help!

I can ask these cards a question about a relationship that I'm worried might be rocky, and I'll pull a card about contentment and serenity in the present. That is absolutely false--if anything, I'm not serene right now. I'll reshuffle and ask again (which I know shouldn't be done; when I do this with other decks, I usually end up pulling the same cards, or at least the same meaning) and pull "negative" cards where "positive" ones were, and vice versa. It's hard to explain, but, unlike with other decks, I can't shake the feeling that I'm simply pulling cards at random.

I usually read by intuition, but I've found that with this one I'm often consulting the "little book" to check my work. As beautiful as the artwork is, I just don't think I'm connecting with it.

I'll take your tips to heart and keep trying for a while longer. I love the deck, it's absolutely beautiful, but, right now, that synapse just isn't getting leaped.

Cerulean

Photographic art for you might just not be for relationship readings...

...it might be the fantasy photographic art is inspiring for other reasons to you, but not in advising about your relationships. One idea might be to take the card pull, go back to your older decks and pull the same cards.

The nuances in the older painted cards that you are used to reading might give signals as you also glance back at the Archeon.

And even if you define your card pull for a certain spread, sometimes a reading of certain cards might suggest 'their own' position in the context of what you feel about the reading.

Let's say you are unhappy and seek insight of your relationship; the first card pulled might look like serenity at present--I don't know if it's cups or pentacles, sounds like two or three of cups, upright. Either the first card might be a signal of your hopes and be the 'inspired wish' or it might be the 'past' when things are good...or you might need to check the reversal meaning. Then I would look at the next cards pulled to gain insight how to 'get' to the inspired place...

Sigh...this is a time when I'd yearn to advise you to check out a book for the Archeon--but there's no book available other than the LWB....hope one of the suggestions helps you. I plan to keep checking and once the Archeon has a book out, may consider purchasing it again...Mine was traded away because I don't use it, beautiful as it is. I didn't connect to it as much as my painted decks.

Best regards,

Cerulean