uncooperative deck

Umbrae

full deck said:
…To quote someone, it is a poor craftsman that blames his tools. Sorry if that sounds harsh but I can't blame my piano if I can not play a certain piece of music.

Talisman said:
How can you argue with what full deck says here ? Intellectually, I agree with him completely.

And yet . . . and yet . . . Tarot is not about logic, 'cause I believe that if you could explain it logically, it wouldn't work. There is absolutely no logic to the movement of particles. The movement of particles changed a view of the universe 'cause according to current particle theory they are so completely random.

Helvetica said:
But then - sometimes the mayonnaise just doesn't take ;)

Great stuff.

That said…I play Piano. But some piano’s are strung too loose, or the action is sloppy, or a pedal is wacked, and ultimately I find the instrument unplayable. Sometimes when you hit a certain key, the vibration causes some danged knick-knack to rattle or buzz and you spend the next 5 minutes tracking down the annoyance…

Some decks don’t fit our worldview. I’m not saying they suck…I’m saying they don’t fit. Perhaps the art or the colors or the whatever…you may even love the art (as art), and be unable to relate to it.

“Oh I’ll get used to it” you say…but what if it just does not ever ‘mesh’ with your worldview.

I’ve got more decks than I want to admit to. However I only read with 5 or 6.

Some decks are lovely on your shelf, and are best kept that way.

Then there’s the other half of the story.

You’re looking at a relationship that’s stormy and the card indicates a pastoral condition.

Perhaps it was the question…

It perhaps was the correct answer, to a poorly conceived question.

:smoker:

bullfrog

Getting to know your cards..

Ouch I do feel that fulldeck's opinion could have been tempered a tad!

I'm no expert. I am more an intuitive psychic . Like feelings, empathic, visions, dreams, sometimes words spoken directly, picking up energy in situations ,places,objects, generally reading people is not a hobby but an instinct with me.! I'm never the less interested in the tarot and have been playing with using them for a short time. I do of course already have 3 tarot's and 2 oracle decks. And of course there are many on my wish list despite my minimal exposure! I don't seem to need the conduit in some situations, so I'm struggling with not letting the cards and their implied meanings and pictures be a distraction or confusion to my natural intuition. But when it comes to energy I believe it does indeed resonate in places and stay with some things. So often I get a feel about something from simply touching it, or stepping into a place. This would be a reason maybe for some people why they feel like ( somebody said earlier) they just need to put that deck down! Energy regardless of anyone's opinion -is for me very tangible. Look at how crystals and other gemstones pick up, react to, and absorb energy! They need to be cleansed often, the more negative energy you are around or exude the more often they need to be cleaned! You can see the actual physical change of color in them often! They obviously are known for their properties of influence in numerous areas, IE: they put out energy that effects things or bodies or minds around them! Energy I can feel strongly in some crystals enough to feel like a strong shaking! My girlfriend who is a very good craftswoman w/ the tarot finds it an issue also. She and many others I know, and much I have read, would indicate that sometimes a cleansing of sorts can be extremely helpful. I had a nasty person move out of my house and did a sage cleansing, with great intent! Most every one who walked in the house for weeks after that would comment immediately as to how different the house felt, lighter, happier, just better in some way! So energy - real and tangible! Understandably You want 'your 'readings ,' your ' messages from the deck or how ever you want to describe it ,to be clear and undisturbed. IE: not infused w/ the energy or feelings of the last user or even sometimes just the last person who touched them! A packer, the retail clerk, the artist, who knows? You might try a cleansing of what ever type most appeals to you. Its very much more about intention then the particular method you choose , put the 'energy', the idea ,will of thought seriously into a cleansing and it should be good to go!

The experiences I've witnessed w/ my more experienced tarot friends are not so different then that of grabbing a book your dying to have but finding that -time after time you can't quite pick it up and get it started. What most people do and or probably need to do is walk away from it for awhile . When the time is right you will pick it up and read it. I do not feel there are so many random events in the universe. You picked up the deck for a reason. Perhaps you are not in a place to read this deck as yet, but will come to this place later. Perhaps there is some other, totally escaping you , reason for it to be w/ you even if you never read w/ it? I had a gemstone I had to have, that I never really liked so much after I got it home; I never wanted it w/ the rest of my crystals. Later a friend had some issues and I immediately knew it was for her to have, and that I needed to be the one to give it to her. My girlfriend, very good w/ tarot, has a deck she absolutely loves. She has had the deck for many months, she will periodically get it out, handle it, enjoy the art etc. But still feels unable to read w/ them even for herself. Again I will say ( kind of for "fulldeck") she is a gifted reader. A "serious craftswomen". She feels deeply they are meant for her to have and use at some point, but that she is not in the right place herself in someway to be ready for them. Again I will say that as someone who does feel the energy of things- often to include energy left behind whether on an object or in a space, the energy of her deck is palpable. I have also read other threads where many people mention this particular deck in similar ways as to the energy, if not adamant energy, of the deck. So in a long way I'm saying study them, get to know them , enjoy them, whatever you want, or put them aside for now,( without anxiety about it! ) There is no mandate as to when you must be able to wield this deck! It's yours and it's all about you and what you make it about. So let it be a positive feeling and put them somewhere you feel OK about and know they are yours, and if and when you are ready for them, whatever that may take, they will be patiently and no doubt appreciatively waiting for your embrace! BF

bullfrog

I like that analogy also.

IN PART...Replying to Umbrae's most recent post. I really liked your response to 'Fulldeck's' post. Sometimes seeing things black and white or cut and dry leave no room for us to learn! Mistakes or simply not seeing the whole picture yet , or just being in a different place on the same road, are just what happens along the way in our experience to get to that place of experience and knowledge! An old sage who has the experience to know not to get upset over finding himself in a suddenly confusing or disturbing quandary, did not come from the womb that way. He had to travel and stumble the road like the rest of us and get there in his own time and way. That experience affords him the luxury of being able to feel no matter how disturbing any moment he's in may seem. It will likely change and he will live to see another happier calmer day, not much worse for the wear. When I was 20 years old I had lots questions and things that I found confusing or very upsetting . I'm not 20 anymore! lol, so a whole lotta things aren't so confusing anymore,and when the rough spots hit, and they still do w/ frequency! I don't (always) get so excited or upset about them anymore. Experience tells me I'll live through it,and maybe even learn something... even if it is the hard way sometimes! lol (Taurus...)

Originally Posted by full deck
…To quote someone, it is a poor craftsman that blames his tools. Sorry if that sounds harsh but I can't blame my piano if I can not play a certain piece of music.

I can agree with that theory ever so loosely , say in the case of such a mechanical instrument, or a tool etc. Tarot and runes, and pendulums and generally energetic, psychic, human-type things! simply do not fall so strictly into this type of parameter. I guess I did feel it was harsh. I guess I feel that criticizing someones abilities when they stumble a bit or just feel a little unsure, is akin to kicking someone when they're down. Its not positive and does not encourage another learning soul on their path.

floracove

Wow, interesting stuff ya'll!

I think for me, these would be used as a meditative deck, first, then a reading deck, if it were my own.

full deck

The piano analogy I made points to an important point. As an artist and a technician of the instrument, I must ask myself "why did I have a problem with a certain piece of music?" or "What am I not doing right?" This is just a part of the process of performing and all musicians must solve their own problems by starting at this point. It is not a fun thing to do but it has to be done.

Likewise, (IMHO) a reader is in the same position and needs to spend more time considering what they really are doing and *how* they are doing it. Each artist finds their own way in dealing with these issues but, as any professional musician will tell one, there is no such thing as a perfect performance, especially when the musician is their own harshest critic. An important part of performance is learning how to learn and that requires an approach to the art that is uniquely suited to the individual, yet there should be some technical benchmark of what is on and what is off. It wants knowledge and the time spent in getting such.

SunChariot

Imho, I think the main problem is you are not relaxed enough with the deck to read it calmly. First you said you were working with it vigourously, and now you clearly do not trust it or your reactions to it. Maybe take a break and come back to it once you have gotten past those feelings.

To me the answers you got could have well been accurate. To my mind, I think the right cards always come up, but some are harder to interpret than others. If you were worried that a certain relationship might be rocky and you got the "Contentment" and "Serenity" cards in the present, it may well have been telling you not that you feel that way now, but that you can stop worrying now (in the present)and can let yourself feel content and serene about the situation now. Perhaps it is suggesting letting yourself feel that way and telling you it is merited. In other words, the cards are telling you don't worry, things are fine. That things are not as bad as you are imagining them, things are not rocky in the way you have been imagining them to be.

Negative cards that come up where positive ones were formerly maybe just means that the deck/universe understands that you are not understanding the message in the way it intended and is trying to send the message in a new way that it hopes you will see more clearly.

If the message was meant to be that you CAN feel content and serene now, and was a suggestion that you let yourself. And the universe saw that you were interpreting it as a literal depictation of how you feel now, the next time you try it may send you an answer that accurately depicts your current feeling, because it sees that is the way you interpret things and are viewing it.

Does that make sense? Honestly, I don't think the cards that have been coming up have been random for you. I beleive that the right cards come up when we sincerely seek asnwers. Yes, some are harder to understand than others. But I have faith in you. I think you can get the deck, take some time to relax and try again, trust it when you can, and try to see how contentment and serenity (or whatever cards come up next time) apply to the question. To see and think in new ways when you have to, just feel how it applies. I know you read intuitively so you will get there. :grin:

BTW, I was just like that with my Thoth originally. I had trouble getting it. I tried to sell it here, but no bites. Then I realized that that meant that the universe meant for me to keep it and work with it later. So now, 6 months or so later, I am starting with it again, and it is going so much better.

I hope you know what I mean, and I wish you all the best with the new deck,

Bar