Is buying tarot decks like buying cars?

lacewing

Well, I opened the Ukiyoe and they are beautiful - to the sight and to the touch. There isn't a lot of symbolism (or at least not any that I am in tune to) and I like that. Lots of room for intuition. The first card I pulled was the Star! As for my deck overload, I'm just slowing down and focusing on just the Rider-Waite and my Joan Bunning. All of my decks are Rider-Waite derivatives, so that makes it easier.

Asradel

I think you should open all of your decks and enjoy them. Tarot is a good investment because it makes you happy, and after you have a few decks you can trade them around, get more (at a reasonable pace) and have fun reading them, getting to know them and talking about them here on AT. ;) I only found AT this year, but had a pretty decent collection that I started years ago - I gotta tell you....I never regretted opening a single deck I've owned.

have fun! :) I'm all about Tarot LUUUUUV! :D

Az :O

Emeraldgirl

Unsuitable Deck = trade or gift or keep in the hope one day it will be suitable.

Unsuitable car = mechanics bills or trade in + cost of different car.

They are different and buyer's remorse is something that you do come across on rare occasions but it's a bit of a different ball game within cars and tarot. First the expence and second the modifications you can do. Tarot there is not a whole lot you can do to modify a deck with cars it is endless.

Elven

well Im just trying to think here!!

Now my RWS is more like a classic vehicle - like an old HR Holden - handed down from grandpa who lost his license because of his eyesight, but had kept it garaged for its entire life (much like grandpa himself) and gave it to me when I got my Provisional License. "Look after it, and it well serve you well for many years to come" :)
Im still driving that RWS around now ;) goes as good as new - in some cases better. Stalled a couple of times but that was because I ran out of petrol, but once I tuned back into it, I was able to go on many a long and happy journey. To this day, its still kept in the same box garage, and I take it out one day a week to make sure its still OK - dont want it to seize or anything. The paintworks a bit worn and scruffy, but it adds to the character of it - and I think I'll just keep driving my RWS till one of us konks out. :)

Blessings
Elven x

tarotbear

could not resist....

Buying a Tarot deck is very similar to buying a car except you have to be really careful when you kick the tires on the Tarot box that you don't rip the shrinkwrap or they'll make you buy it. :smoker:

tabi

My lesson on decks

The first deck I bought was to be a starter deck. I used it a few times and hated it. There was no draw at all. I have learned buy the one that draws me the most. While I would love to buy a ton of decks (thanks to AT) I know that I wouldn't and couldn't use all of them. I personally stick to finding a deck on AT then waiting about a month or two before I actually buy it. I have been very happy with all of the ones I have bought that way...downside is impulse buy when you have a new deck in your hand. Just can't seem to resist that.

Sophie

lacewing said:
Well, I opened the Ukiyoe and they are beautiful - to the sight and to the touch. There isn't a lot of symbolism (or at least not any that I am in tune to) and I like that. Lots of room for intuition. The first card I pulled was the Star!
How lovely! Actually, there is symbolism, but it's subtle - not overloaded like in so many decks (including the RWS)- for example in the body language of the people, or the colours of their clothing. I like that too, because it makes the flow between observation and intuition much more natural. You noticed the touch too? It's so delicate and smooth, they just don't make cards like that anymore!

It's also very close to the Marseille - closer than to RWS - but reinterpreted with a Japanese sensibility, with some clever RWS touches here and there. In fact, the deck is not only beautiful, it is clever - thus feeding the senses, the intuition and the intellect. (You might want to have a look at the Marseille for that one - the derivation is clear, but again, with this deck, subtle and in tune with the Ukiyoe sensibility. What's interesting from an art history point of view is that both Marseille and Ukiyo-e art developed during the 17th-18th Centuries, and used woodblocks, though Ukiyo-e is undoubtedly more refined.)

Here's a thread I started on the Ukiyoe Tarot a few weeks ago. And here is Cerulean's creative exploration that uses the deck, poetry and old Japanese card games - that thread is a delight.

Ilithiya

Having just gotten a car, I can unequivocally say that they are nothing alike!

Cars = expensive to buy, they break, then are expensive to repair. Can't drop them in a backpack and take them with you everywhere. If the car starts to sass you, you can't put it back in it's box and bury it in a closet.

Tarot = MUCH cheaper. ($20 deck or $20,000 car?) Doesn't randomly drop parts or run out of gas in the middle of nowhere. Eminently portable, and do a much better job of talking with you than a car does. Don't have to pay registration, plate fees, or insurance on a tarot deck.

The thing is with me is that I *can't* buy a deck that I won't use. No collector decks for me!! I usually end up buying mine used; the only onesI have that are new were either just-released or presents.

That way, I don't have new-in-shrink decks giving me the hairy eyeball for leaving them to collect dust on a shelf, and it won't break my heart or pocketbook to have to replace them if the kids draw on them.

:)
Illy