Journal Journey

diane drizzy

So-I decided to start a journal.

Of course in the past I felt I knew it all and couldn't be so bothered with anything as mundane as a journal. And since I'm also such a scholar, I'd simply refer to my library to do any important research. HA!

I decided to use the use the Nova Tarot, just because I like this deck. That's right! Not because of their historical merits, artistic values, just because.

I got a notebook my husband got me at Rite-Aide (ok so it's got puppies on the cover-so what!) and a borrowed pencil and I was off to the races.

I'm treating each card like an inkblot. I write down what I see with some key words. Then I free associate like crazy. And it's really all ok. No Tarot police at my door yet!

Yes it was a bit of a struggle giving up all those glowing memorizations-but now I've got Joni Mitchell singing "Chelsea Morning" to me now when I pulled the Sun card today. Who woulda thought?!

I feel so free.
.....and the sun poured in like butterscotch and stuck to all my senses....

Little Baron

I am glad that you are taking a nice free approach. Let us know how you get on.

SunChariot uses a very similar approach to her decks, and gets a lot out of them.

Best, LB

Michelle

Hi Diane,

I think that your journal sounds wonderful . May you continue to find joy in re-discovering your cards.

Love & Blessings,
Michelle

diane drizzy

Thanks for the encouragement guys.

brenmck

diane drizzy said:
I feel so free.
.....and the sun poured in like butterscotch and stuck to all my senses....

Aha! So now you're hooked. Joni strikes again. Glad to see it happen to somebody else. :)

~B~

Emily

I started to use TreeDBnotes Free which is fine until you have a pc problem and have to have the whole operating system installed again. This has happened to me twice now and each time I lose my Journal plus everything else.

I'm fanatical about backing up everything but i seem to get a mental block on about my Journal but at least I got hard copies of my work printed out for my paper Journal this time :D

I'm not sure if I'm going to do a TreeDBnotes Journal again - I'm over my little hangup about anyone reading my musings and notes about different cards in my book Journal, even if they get very personal to me.

I tend to do what you do diane - make notes about first impressions on each card, then add to them. I also put a spread section, daily cards and full spreads I do for myself. Another section has spreads and readings that I've done for others. I make sure everything is dated and what deck was used so I know exactly when I've done things. I also have a comparison chart to see if I'm getting the same cards regularly. I also like keywords so I have the deck I'm using in a section (Tarot of the Old Path now) and then make keywords for each of the cards. :)

Emily

Actually I'm back after trying, unsuccessfully, to put what little I have backed up into the TreeDBnotes free - not as easy as you would think and I haven't been able to figure out how to do it. So I think that I will stop with my paper Journal for the sake of my sanity. :D

diane drizzy

Good Grief!
The Emperor is suspiciously looking like Mick Jager today.
Or else Ed Wood doing Glen or Glenda.
Hmmmm..... how bad can all that be?????

Little Baron

Firstly, Dianne, I was so inspired by this thread that I worked solely with my card and notebook today and that was all. Think I learned more about my daily card than I ever have before. Thanks.

Secondly, Emily. What was the reason for TreeNotes failing? I had so many problems with that. It wouldn't open if it had previously been used when the internet was on. I kept losing things in it and it would crash. Complete pain.

But I found a similar programme which seems much more reliable and has a very similar format. http://www.csoftlab.com/Diary.html

LB

siouxj73

Good for you Diane, it sounds like you're having a lot of fun with your deck - just the way it should be. :) Funnily enough I can picture Mick Jagger as the Emperor! Who else would complain that he can't get no satisfaction! :)