Pips vs Scenes?

Chu'si

Just a thought, are there any people that prefer having just the number of suit symbols show on the minor cards (like the Thoth) to the scenes like with a lot of the RWS decks? I personally read the cards as I see them first, not by memorized meanings, so scenes help put the layouts in perspective.

arcana17

I would not say that the Thoth is non scenic. I does not have people on the minors, but each card has a mood of its own.

I tend to find more and more that not having scenes on the minors open my intuition instead of "being blocked" by a single meaning of an illustrated pip.

Chu'si

I know, I forgot that the thoth had a bit more detail to imply their meanings, but it was the first one i thought of. If I had mentioned the manga tarot (as in a really crappy tarot-wannabe, not the lovely one rated on this site) then a lot of people might be confused.

Do you have the basic meanings memorized or do you just "guess" based on your intuition when you see the minors?

frelkins

Chu'si said:
Do you have the basic meanings memorized or do you just "guess" based on your intuition when you see the minors?

All cards must be read in context: of the sitter, the question, the moment, to each other. That said, I find Pythagoras and the elements of great help in unillustrated minors. :) So, no, I don't "guess" but I do use intuition.

arcana17

Chu'si said:

I don't have the meanings memorized, there are too many of them, and they change depending on the sitter, the question, the place in the spread... Sometimes, the same card will mean 3 different things on 3 different occasions. I do not to "guess" either, but rather use what I have assimilated from studying and meditating with the cards, what I know from numerology and astrology, and my intuition.

tarotrose

I go with my gut unless my gut isn't saying anything. Then I run through what I do have memorized that include Thirteen's meaning of the numbers, suits and modes, the tiny bit I know about astrology, the RWS scenes on the minors, the Thoth labels and representations, and what I see right in front of me on the particular card I'm looking at.

For example, I was reading a spread where the "issue" card was a 6 of cups. My gut, linked to my knowledge of the card meanings (I was working with a deck with pips not scenes) said "Past impacting present situation." I noticed there were partial circles in the background and they made me think of turning sommersaults, and the word "tumultuous" came to mind and was a very fitting elaboration of the card meaning in that position.

6 Haunted Days

Wow you just opened a Can 'O Worms :laugh:

Wait 'til the folks from the Marseille section get here.

I myself prefer both.

frelkins

6 Haunted Days said:

Well Chusi seems new to AT so how to know that this is a fraught issue? Some people believe TdM no-scenes is "pure," others just like it because it works for them, and some just collect all kinds of decks and enjoy understanding them.

The RWS people can be just as harsh as the Thoth or TdM people. (not to cast aspersions on anyone or call anyone out). What's great about AT is that we are all friends. Chusi is probably new to Tarot and so just may not realize a hornets nest. . .;) But seriously, it's really what works for you and I think at bottom everyone respects an individual's deck choices. :)

Chu'si

6 Haunted Days said:

I myself prefer both.

I am new at these forums, though how can this be THAT big of a deal? Especially since I only posed it as a simple question, not in an aggressive or superior tone. I'm just curious, since all my decks are based on RWS (except the thoth of course).

Chu'si

tarotrose said:
For example, I was reading a spread where the "issue" card was a 6 of cups. My gut, linked to my knowledge of the card meanings (I was working with a deck with pips not scenes) said "Past impacting present situation." I noticed there were partial circles in the background and they made me think of turning sommersaults, and the word "tumultuous" came to mind and was a very fitting elaboration of the card meaning in that position.

Interesting, I need to dust off my thoth deck and see what I get with that. I've only used a couple decks, and they had scenes depicted on them for all 78 (or more, for certain ones) cards.