Does Anyone Recognize this RWS Deck? Is it LS?

karen0205

I have no box or lwb for the deck. At first I thought it might be the Original
Rider Waite Pack from US Games but it's not. It has very muted colors except
for the yellows and reds. The greens are mint green and there is no blue or purple.
I like to know where the deck is from or who made it so I hoping someone on here has one~!
It has the titles on the cards similar to how LS does theirs.
The backs are a purple and white line drawing of the Emperor.
I have posted some scans below.
The card size is 2-5/8" x 4-3/4" or 67mm x 121mm
Any ideas? Thanks!

Attachments

• RWS  Deck.jpg
    RWS Deck.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 339
  • RWS Deck 2.jpg
    RWS Deck 2.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 270
  • RWS Deck 3.jpg
    RWS Deck 3.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 217

Tibor

No I dont know it but I like it although the Original RW is just as good if not better. By the way I think you are right it looks like LS

gregory

I HAVE it, I know - but cannot for the life of me recall which it is. I will be back..... (I identified the back for someone a while ago....)

ETA - or I TRIED to anyway. I recall the backs SO well..... Maybe I didn't actually have it.... But it is NOT in the current LS catalogue; I just checked the gallery book.... There IS a thread here.... Somewhere....

OH - COULD it be one of those decks that LS put out along with fabbri for a magazine ? Don't know where to check, but that sounds like a possibility; it does look like their sort of back, and the titles fit....

karen0205

Yes, it definitely has a LS feel and look to me too.
I figured someone would have it or know what it is.
Maybe Riccardo might know. Maybe he'll drop by :)

k

Le Fanu

I think it is one of a series of decks which were done to go with a tarot magazines. You bought the magazines (and got free ringbinders to store them in) and each copy came with a tarot deck. They did them all; Thoth, RWS, Minchiate, Lombardy etc etc.

If it is what Im thinking of, I see them a lot here. Round about 2001, Scarabeo teamed up with a Spanish company called Orbis, and they were distributed here in Portugal. Other countries too I guess. I saw this deck in a 2nd hand bookshop only recently. It was open and I had a peek and thought how odd the RWS looked with Scarabeo titles!

(I hope Ric does clear it up because Id love a list of the other decks they did in this series...)

karen0205

I wish the publishers, especially the large companies like LS and Llewellyn and
US Games, etc. would have resources on their websites where you could look up
all the decks they printed and the info on them.
I know Singer Sewing Machines has that on their website and it's invaluable
as a source of information about old machines, when they were made, etc.
They also have all the instruction manuals on line too.
It would be great to be able to go to LS website and look up a deck and
find out about it. Just dreaming I guess!

Queen of Pentacle

definitibely scarabeo

It is definitively a deck made by Scarabeo, not avalaible in the US, (maybe copyright matters) but avalaible in Europe as a kit, with an italian book.

I have seen this kit in a Scarabeo catalog 3 years ago

I did not know some copies were avalaible, and byt the scans, they look exquisite, I wish I had one!

For their website, sure it is a shame that such a fantastic company still have such an obsolete website, with their (believe it or not) 2004 catalog online.

This is the info from Scarabeo website (italian section)

Tarocchi Rider Waite
Libro: A. E. Waite
Edizione italiana a cura di G. Berti
128 pagine – 15x21 cm – b/n
In lingua italiana
Mazzo: Pamela Colman Smith
78 carte – 70x120 mm
Codice: KIT08

By the way, if anyone know where it is avalaible, new or used, please, let me know.

gregory

Le Fanu said:
I think it is one of a series of decks which were done to go with a tarot magazines. You bought the magazines (and got free ringbinders to store them in) and each copy came with a tarot deck. They did them all; Thoth, RWS, Minchiate, Lombardy etc etc.

If it is what Im thinking of, I see them a lot here. Round about 2001, Scarabeo teamed up with a Spanish company called Orbis, and they were distributed here in Portugal. Other countries too I guess. I saw this deck in a 2nd hand bookshop only recently. It was open and I had a peek and thought how odd the RWS looked with Scarabeo titles!

(I hope Ric does clear it up because Id love a list of the other decks they did in this series...)
Yes - that's what I meant about the fabbri one - I have several of these - but NOT the RWS one.

There were certainly a Dali, Thoth and TdM; those and a large sized TdM majors are the ones I have..... It's mentioned in a thread here. Post from Ric.

Eta Website of the project. - Ric said there was a new lot in the works, BTW. And indeed, the latest decks are starting to show up there, dated 2009.

gregory

Queen of Pentacle said:
By the way, if anyone know where it is avalaible, new or used, please, let me know.
Apparently here.

It lets you put it in your basket, anyway... I am NOT going further....

But you cannot see the backs there, and I still think the backs are from the fabbri collaboration.

Le Fanu

gregory said:
Yes - that's what I meant about the fabbri one - I have several of these - but NOT the RWS one.

There were certainly a Dali, Thoth and TdM; those and a large sized TdM majors are the ones I have..... It's mentioned in a thread here. Post from Ric.

Eta Website of the project. - Ric said there was a new lot in the works, BTW. And indeed, the latest decks are starting to show up there, dated 2009.

Yes! That name is also on the box "Fabbri" alongside Orbis and Scarabeo. (That last link to the website didn´t do anything...)

A lot of these decks are exactly the same as Scarabeo decks IF they were decks which were already in their catalogue. However, for decks like the one which karen mentions, RWS and also Thoth, they obviously have differences. I have a friend who has the Thoth from this series and it is exactly the same as a Portuguese AG Muller version which I have. They must have done a deal with AG Muller.

Of the Scarabeo/Orbis/ Fabbri (dated 2001) ones, I have 2 Minchiates, "Neo-classical" Tarot (same as Ancient Tarot of Lombardy), Sola Busca, Dali (with Comus Naipes backs), Bosch (with white borders), Etteilla "Jeu de la Princese". I have also seen Art Nouveau, Casanova, Cosmic, Tarot of the Secrets, Renaissance, tarot of the Sphynx around and about for sale 2nd hand. Others probably, which I can´t remember now...

Q of P mentions that they came with an Italian book. The book depended on the country. I bought them here and the LWB was in Portuguese. Some In Brazilian Portuguese.

I think they were available as a series "every month a different deck" and also sold as deck only. Also (interesting fact. lol) I think they must have been sold in Brazil too as whenever I go into Brazilian Esoteric shops (selling macumba/ Umbanda /Brazilian "voodoo" stuff), they often have decks from this series! Plus some of the language in the LWB was more Brazilian than Portuguese.

If they are reissuing them, Id love to know where I can get them, as some Scarabeo decks which are no longer available (like Sola Busca) were issued in this set. Maybe Ricc will let us know...