Tarot Reference Resources I Found on the Web

a_gnostic

Never apologize for asking! That's a powerful way to learn, especially here on AE!

a_gnostic

Which website has the most accurate Tarot card meanings?

Despite not being an experienced much less an accomplished Tarot reader, I'd like to offer my understanding of this. It makes sense to me, but if any aspect is inaccurate, someone with more authority needs to ruthlessly correct me.

Think of reading a Tarot spread as adopting a childlike demeanor, beginning with the blank canvas of the querent's unanswered question, and painting a picture using the cards as brushes and pigments.

Different kids seem to be naturally endowed with the ability to paint amazing pictures, drawing on nothing more than their natural abilities. Other kids scribble, going outside the lines and not evenly filling the spaces with color. Still others feel more comfortable with a paint-by-numbers set (or is that concept already alien to the young?!), because they can follow the map and end up with a more or less presentable rendering.

People who read Tarot intuitively for the most part are like the kids with innate artistic talent. They do a good and sometimes astonishingly great job. Generally, they can get better at it — improve their technique — with experience alone, but that gets amplified by any formal training they can get along the way.

The rest of us need to learn the hard(er) way to achieve the ability and effectiveness of "the intuitives'". Like the scribblers, we're drawn to the media (the beautiful Tarot decks, the promise they offer), do what we can with them (even if that's not much, yet), and seek out the knowledge and instruction that we hope will allow us also to become artists.

To teach a kid to paint, one might try imparting the "secrets" of perception, form, space, color theory, various techniques with various media, and so forth. If that works, it's probably the shortest path to artistic excellence. The problem is keeping the student's attention and enthusiasm long enough for all this great knowledge to take root and grow.

An alternative is for one with more experience in painting to draw the color boundaries on the canvas and annotate it with which colors should go where. (You can probably see where this is heading with respect to published Tarot card meanings.) The kid takes that, matches up the colors with the numbers, and depending on how careful they apply the paint, they stand a good chance of ending up having painted a picture that looks pretty good with a decent variety and balance of color.

You might think of those web sites and books (including especially the LWBs) as the "paint-by-the-numbers" keys to card meanings. They are there to give you a jump-start on interpreting the cards when you don't yet have enough background knowledge and understanding to synthesize their meanings on your own.

That jump-start need not be viewed as a "cheat" or a "cop-out". You don't need to memorize those attributions and vow to uphold them forevermore as gospel. What you can do is accept them conditionally to facilitate the exercise and development of your ability to notice and characterize the meanings of a card in the context of its position in a spread — or to go beyond that, to begin understanding relationships between two or more cards in that spread. (The presence of two or more particular cards in a spread can modify one or more of those cards' meanings. One aspect of this is referred to as "card dignities", an area of study unto itself.)

So, why have I posted links to more than one site that lists different card meaning keywords? Can one be said to be "better" or "more accurate" than another? Well, maybe, and I'm sure you can find someone around here to put a fie point on that. My attitude is that — it doesn't matter. It's a tool to get from Point A (a shuffled deck of cards) to Point B (the rewards of consideration and thought about the querent's question) with at least some initial help from someone who has more experience doing so. You can always learn more and then do another spread (or another reading down the road of the same spread, which is a good reason for at least snapping a camera phone pic of your spreads even if you don't keep a Tarot journal.)

If you do invest the considerable personal resources (mostly time and persistence) to acquire the esoteric knowledge that takes you far beyond anyone's assignments of "divinatory meaning" keywords or phrases, you may experience "aha" moments when you suddenly understand why someone assigned particular keywords to cards. You may also find yourself disagreeing with keywords that a supposed authority has chosen. If you stick with it long enough (months? years?), you should be able to dispense entirely with all those keyword lists, like removing training wheels from a bicycle, because you have managed, with effort, to achieve or exceed the capabilities of "the intuitives". (And if you started out as a good intuitive reader and also invest in study, that's even more awesome.)

I apologize for being so long-winded but, if you're still reading ;), I hope it's more or less comprehensible. And I was serious about ruthless correction. ("Hit me, beat me, make me feel real!!")

Scibility

Thank You!

Hi a_gnostic ,
Thanks so much for sharing the link to the Symbolist. I was excited to see that. The author also has a great book on Astrology with the Tarot.

Thanks also for sharing all the stuff you refer to online. I'm sure this thread will be helpful to many. Cheers!

a_gnostic

Some copies of Liber 777 on the web are incomplete

It has been reported that the copy of the Golden Dawn's Liber 777 book on the hermetic.com site is incomplete, that is, it omits explanatory notes about some of the table columns.

There seems to be another, more recent source for this book in the library at www.golden-dawn-canada.com.

Check out the PDF Liber 777 Revised, "a reprint of 777 with much additional matter by the late Aliester Crowley". (This version is imprinted "Celephais Press" and dated 2004.)

If you already have a copy of the PDF and are wondering which version you have, the attached images are the respective title pages from the old (incomplete) and revised (with explanations) documents. (The title page of the revised document is actually on the third page of the PDF file. The first page of the PDF file says, simply, "777 REVISED".)

Attachments

• Liber 777 Title Page.jpg
    Liber 777 Title Page.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 144
  • Liber 777 Revised Title Page.jpg
    Liber 777 Revised Title Page.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 150

a_gnostic

Golden Dawn Thoth Colors Study Group resources

What led to the discrepancies in versions of Liber 777 (see the previous post) was that materials are being assembled to aid in a new Golden Dawn Thoth Colors study group.

It turns out there are several threads dealing with that start-up process:

Also, some useful information is available in earlier threads on this site. As I stumble onto these, I intend to edit this post to maintain a list of links to them here in one place:

If anyone knows of or encounters additional threads of this type, I would be glad to add links to this post if you would please PM the location to me. Thanks!

a_gnostic

More Color (and Other) Attributions

In addition to information from the Tarot of Color deck, here are some additional references for color attributions:

In the event that the BOTA in Europe site were to disappear someday (it loads very slowly at this writing), an image of their color chart is attached to this post.

Attachments

• Table of TAROT Correspondences.jpg
    Table of TAROT Correspondences.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 163

Richard

I really appreciate your sharing all these great resources, a_gnostic.

a_gnostic

Tarot and Astrology

These are just some posts and threads I found on using astrological concepts as a tool in the interpretation of Tarot cards:

Here are some resources out on the web. (Some of these are referenced in the above posts.)

Attachments

• Decans RWS.png
    Decans RWS.png
    124.5 KB · Views: 122
  • decans.gif
    decans.gif
    17.8 KB · Views: 114
  • WANG - Decan Wheel.jpg
    WANG - Decan Wheel.jpg
    258.2 KB · Views: 116
  • Rachelcat Book T Astrological Attributions.jpg
    Rachelcat Book T Astrological Attributions.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 124
  • Rachelcats Book T Astrological Attributions.pdf
    27.1 KB · Views: 150

a_gnostic

Copies of the Golden Dawn's Book T (Liber T, also Liber Θ)

I happened to find two places having the same version of the Golden Dawn's Book T: one here on Aeclectic, and one elsewhere:

Note: these other locations which are cited elsewhere on Aeclectic now seem to be broken links:

Chiriku

I second LRichard's appreciation. A one-stop shop is always a handy thing to have around, even--especially--for those of us who have some of this information saved in various places.