Trimmed off borders of decks: Worthwhile? Tips & Pictures.

rachelcat

Oh, you folks are tempting me to trim my large Thoth. I am a key word hater, and I agree that those large grey borders don't do anything for the look of the cards! But what about the backs? I think they are the most beautiful "cards" of the whole deck. Does trimming off the grey border cut into the cross on the back? (I guess I could get out my ruler . . .)

tarobones

Lyle's Tarot

I have done the same thing with my Secret Tarot by Lyle. The difference is quite striking. I too love the deck very much. In it's trimmed state it is quite powerful visually. A shame it is not more appreciated. It's my second favorite next to the Fey Tarot. Peace and blessings to all...........Michael

tatsi

Trimmed off borders of decks. Plus advice on cutting products

I've been wondering if there are any new trimmed bordered decks people have done. If so, could you post the pictures here. One that I'm really interested in seeing is the trimmed version of the DruidCraft Tarot.

What is your advice in the following questions:
*What type of product have you used to trim off the borders: scissors, corner cutter, corner punch, cutting board with sliding cutter, etc?

*Are there products (type, name or non-name brand) you recommend getting OR avoiding?

*Where can one purchase the cutting utensils you recommend, either in person or online?

Thanks.

tatsi

Imagemaker

I remember reading that someone trimmed their Druidcraft--Sulis, maybe?

I saw a corner trimmer at WalMart yesterday--it surprised me that they've moved out of the more specialty stores.

Jewel-ry

Just had peek at this thread and what do I find?

Red Maple and tarobones have trimmed the Secret Tarot by Lyle and WOW!

I have this deck and have always liked it. I especially like the book that comes with it.

Now I know how I am going to spend my day ;)

mike gorth

I hate some of the borders. I feel like with trimmed or borderless cards that I'm deaqling with the pure tarot and not it being wrapped in a plastic bag. I feel that the borders sometimes hinder it. If I were to make a tarot I'd leave it. I don't really like border designs but I like just a plain white border. I find it makes the card stand out more.

Mike Gorth

muteswan

I trimmed the borders off my Aquarian, and was very glad I did. I've been told by some I've given readings for with it that they love that the cards aren't exactly uniform, and the paintings are bright and bold. It makes the deck feel very personalized to me, like I had a part it making it what it is.

And a perfect size for the hands!

Right now I don't have any other decks I want to trim up, but if I had a Thoth or many of the others mentioned, it'd be my first order of duty. I believe that trimming borders can do great things for a deck-reader relationship. :D

Statickitten

I don't think I could ever trim my decks, I would just feel awkward about doing it.

Sulis

Here are a few scans of some trimmed DruidCraft cards

Love

Sulis xx

Attachments

• DruidCraft-tarot.jpg
    DruidCraft-tarot.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 697