Trimmed off borders of decks: Worthwhile? Tips & Pictures.

Imagemaker

Ah, I remembered right, Sulis--haven't lost my mind completely :)

Jewel-ry

A new dilemna!

OK,

I got idle ;)

To give myself a break from my revision, I decided that trimming decks might be therapeutic :D

The first deck to get the chop was the Renaissance aka Secret by Jane Lyle. I had been meaning to do this for a few weeks since I saw the scan of Red Maples. It looks so much better, just love it!

Next to get a hair cut was the Druidcraft. Now, I did a couple of cards down to the stone border and then before I knew it I had taken off the words and the border too. Now I have a druidcraft which is perfect size for my hands and the pictures really do just flow out of the cards.

I know a lot of you have trimmed the Druidcraft only down to the borders but just thought I would give you something else to ponder :D

That said, if you go for it. You need to be very careful because there is a very thin border which goes all round the cards. Trouble is on two sides its white and the other two sides it is a darker colour. This obviously makes the trimming a bit tricky but it can be done and its just lovely now.

:)

Kissa

Jewel-ry,

i demand scans of this hyper-trimmed druidcraft of yours.

girl, you are wiiiiild!! it took me so much courage to trim the white borders off and you just go clic-clac grey borders and words off... you scare me sometimes ;)

kissa

calligirl

I guess the main thing for me comes down to cost. I'm saving up to buy the Druidcraft and I'd hate to screw up the deck by trimming it after I've paid for it. Now if I find I just can't use a deck (big deck, small hands, etc.) then I may get my courage up.

I would love to see some scans of the Gilded Tarot if anyone's trimmed that one. Not that I ever would...

Jewel-ry

Kissa said:
Jewel-ry,

i demand scans of this hyper-trimmed druidcraft of yours.

girl, you are wiiiiild!! it took me so much courage to trim the white borders off and you just go clic-clac grey borders and words off... you scare me sometimes ;)

kissa

Kissa,

I am sorry, I don't have a scanner (that works!). I have to say, they are sooo much better though!

EminemsAngelBaby

Wow.....this thread really has me thinking!! The Hanson-Roberts really pops without those borders, thanks for the pics Imagemaker:). Has anyone trimmed The Fey?

Imagemaker

I would love to see some scans of the Gilded Tarot if anyone's trimmed that one.

I've trimmed it and will have to get my scanner going (which is on a Linux machine I seldom use) to show you. I DID have to cut through the side "jewels" leaving just half of them. Not for everyone. Pics later . . .

Haven't trimmed my Fey because I don't know it quite well enough yet to do without the labels. But someday.

CelticAngel

Iw ould never cut the edges off of my deck simply because of the ending result. A tarot card is full of energy and when you cut off the edges, you might release some of its energy and not be able to keep it within the card. Then you are simply driving yourself mad with a deck of random cards and random readings.

That may not always happen, but if you invest alot of time into your deck, why risk it?

Imagemaker

Well, we all think differently about this, but for me there is no energy IN the cardboard. It's in my relationship with the tarot. The size of the cardboard doesn't matter, and I connect better with the pictures when there's not extra margins around them.

Jewel-ry

Imagemaker,

How far 'down' did you take the Druidcraft? I have cut off all the borders down to the picture. They are absolutely gorgeous. I am seeing things that I never saw in the cards before.

I did trim the Rohrig last year and that was amazing but this one, really is a little treasure.

BTW I agree with you, its the relationship with the deck that counts. As Diana always used to say, they are only card and ink!

:)