Aeclectic Tarot
Dedicated to the diversity and beauty of Tarot since 1996

· Tarot Decks   · Tarot Meanings   · Tarot Forum   · Home

Tarot Decks Tarot Card Meanings Free Tarot Readings Forum Community What's New

Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot > Using Tarot Cards

Welcome to the Aeclectic Tarot Forum!

We are the oldest and largest Tarot forum community on the Internet. If you have any questions about any aspect of Tarot or using your cards, or you just want to connect with other Tarot enthusiasts, you've found the right place!

Registering your account is completely free, and allows you to post, share readings, search, view extra boards and more.

Hope to see you in the forum soon!

Trogon 
Citizen

Question Specific vs. general questions in readings

This is kind of a two-barrelled question... hopefully not too terribly difficult

Most of the things I've read about the various layouts used for readings indicate that you get better results if you or your querrent can provide a relatively specific question. Something like "will I get married", "why did I lose my job", "should I relocate to San Jose", "why am I going to jail" etc... (okay... a person would probably know the answer to that last one ). I'm wondering, though how well things work if a person just wanted to get some general insight into there life at this time and in the future.

Secondly, if you do this sort of "general life goings on" reading, what sort of layout might you use? Would the Celtic Cross layout work well for this? If not, what other layouts might work well?

Thank you in advance for any insight you can provide.

Trogon

"A famous person once said; 'you can fool all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time' ... but, as I (an even more famous person) say; 'if you don't teach them to read, you can fool them whenever you like!'"
[Max Headroom]
Trogon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2002 Need help fast? Chat with a live Tarot reader now!     Top   #1
Rhiannon 
Crone

I find that I usually prefer "general" readings. I just ask "What is going on right now that the client needs to know?" and I usually use the Celtic Cross for that one.

If they ask a specific question, like "Is so-and-so interested in me?" then I use a five card layout... as the CC spread gives too much info sometimes.

R

Do you want an absolute prediction? Then you want only today, and you reject tomorrow. You are the ultimate conservative. You are trying to hold back movement in an infinitely changing universe. The verb "to be" does make idiots of us all. - Frank Herbert
Rhiannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2002 Need help fast? Chat with a live Tarot reader now!     Top   #2
Jenny-Li 
Citizen

Hi!

I like general readings too, but perhaps with a specified area, such as a general love reading, a general carreer reading or whatever.

I kind of vary with the spread I use, but sure why not the CC, it works for most things. Though I do agree with Rhiannon, sometimes it's just too much, too diverse information, and a spread with less cards is preferable. Perhaps a three-carder on Body/outer world - Mind/inner world - Spirit...? That one is pretty general and shows the general situation in three different aspects of life. You can also draw extra clarification cards for this one, if you need more information on any of the parameters.

Light and love,
Jenny

Old 30-08-2002 Need help fast? Chat with a live Tarot reader now!     Top   #3
Trogon 
Citizen

Quote:
Originally posted by Jenny-Li
Perhaps a three-carder on Body/outer world - Mind/inner world - Spirit...? That one is pretty general and shows the general situation in three different aspects of life. You can also draw extra clarification cards for this one, if you need more information on any of the parameters.
Thanks Jenny-Li! Could you possibly expound a little more on the 3-carder you mentioned above? I hadn't run across this before in my all too limited studies so far but it sounds very intriguing and like something I'd probably use quite often.

By "Body" do you mean the physical self, then "Mind" being one's current psychological and/or emotional state and "Spirit" being one's place in one's spiritual journey? And I'm afraid I don't understand the references to "outer world" and "inner world".

Thanks also to Rhiannon! I sure appreciate the replies.

Trogon

"A famous person once said; 'you can fool all of the people some of the time, and some of the people all of the time' ... but, as I (an even more famous person) say; 'if you don't teach them to read, you can fool them whenever you like!'"
[Max Headroom]
Old 30-08-2002 Need help fast? Chat with a live Tarot reader now!     Top   #4
Laurel 
Citizen

I usually give general answers to general questions and more specific answers to specific questions.

I've noticed that if I warn a querent ahead of time that this is going to happen, one of two things happens

1) They stick to their general question and don't feel put out when they get what they asked for.

2) They decide to ask a specific question.

"Adventure isn't hanging on a rope off the side of a mountain. Adventure is an attitude that we must apply to the day to day obstacles of life -- facing new challenges, seizing new opportunities, testing our resources against the unknown and in the process, discovering our own unique potential."
Laurel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2002 Need help fast? Chat with a live Tarot reader now!     Top   #5
HOLMES 
CLARIFIER OF LIGHT

ah

specific question BETTER FOCUS
general question lack off

see a card despite it;s meaning can mean a big thing when we start getting inuitive without a context to apply it to
thus we asked a qyestion there fore the energy we are getting appplies to the question

for a life reading or a a chakra spread i do ask for a specific question so i can relae all aspects that the spreads has for the question

Old 31-08-2002 Need help fast? Chat with a live Tarot reader now!     Top   #6
Trogon 
Citizen

Unhappy Oops

I just re-read my original post on this and realized that I forgot to include something. I had meant to mention the fact that I do BOTH kinds of readings, but was looking for input and insight from the rest of you. Ah well... one of those age-related moments I guess...

Thank you all for your replies so far... Really expanding my horizons here at AT.

Trogon

[Max Headroom]
Old 31-08-2002 Need help fast? Chat with a live Tarot reader now!     Top   #7
Keigh 
Citizen

general readings

I find that general readings, in which there is no focus such as there would be in a general relationship or career reading, work well with the Celtic Cross. I usually use these when someone is at a milestone (or stock taking) moment such as birthdays or new years for example.

Generally, I find that these "general readings" almost always have a theme. Whatever actual concerns or thoughts were uppermost in the querent's mind seem form the focus of the reading. (The cards know...even when the querent and the reader don't!) It always amazes people when the cards speak to their issues when they didn't tell you what those issues were! In these cases, I usually suggest they opt for a focused reading on the issue in question and work with them to create a defined question.

(edit: actually, it's the sub-conscious speaking through the cards...so I should say, the unconscious knows when the conscious doesn't or is in denial).

Hope this helps!

Blessings,

Keigh

Last edited by Keigh; 04-09-2005 at 12:30. Reason: correction of thought
Keigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005 Need help fast? Chat with a live Tarot reader now!     Top   #8
OakDragon 
Citizen

I think both types of questions can be useful, personally. It's wanting a specific answer but asking a general question that really gets one into trouble. This usually comes from not knowing precisely what the question should be. It's best to make sure that it's ok for the answers to really be general before asking a general question. Its easy to confuse a desire for a general overview of the situation with uncertainty as to what the situation is.

Your life affects others' whether you realize it or not. Do something positive with this contact. Cultivate your inner glow and share it with those around you.
OakDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005 Need help fast? Chat with a live Tarot reader now!     Top   #9
closrapexa 
Citizen

I prefer general readings ar first, especially when I read for some one for the first time. Then, as time goes on, if they come back to me, then I allow myself to read on more specific subjects. But as things go, I read for a specific subject sometimes, just a quick reading, only a few cards.

Old 04-09-2005 Need help fast? Chat with a live Tarot reader now!     Top   #10