"Vegan" deck?

Laura Borealis

It really is a difficult question, and makes me realize once again how much we take the use of animals for granted. :neutral:

For instance I'm looking at the Wizard Tarot. It sticks pretty close to RWS symbolism. It's mostly humans, but there are quite a few animals around, which appear to be companions or familiars. The Chariot is a witch on a broom, so that works. Strength is a woman feeding a dragon. 10 of Swords has stabbing, but it's a human. The Knights aren't riding anything. So those are pros for this deck.

However, there are some things that don't work. The first thing I saw was quill feather pens. If that was the only con, I would feel okay about recommending it. But then I noticed a taxidermy alligator in the background of a card, and the Devil (aka Dark Lord) has chained toads with collars on.

Then there's a card with a captive, hooded falcon. And leather and fur clothing on the Pentacles courts. That's too many on the con side of the pros/cons list.

Another deck I thought might work was the Mary-El - till I got to the card with a woman wrapped in a lion skin.

Even my beloved Fey Tarot has animals being ridden or pulling vehicles. The Fey aren't human, but are like enough to stand in for humans in the art.

ETA: I can vouch for the Raven's Prophecy, though!

Dee Ell

That's a lovely deck, but good Lord those borders :neutral:

Ha! We seem to be on exactly the same wavelength in various threads today ;) I thought the same thing when I clicked. What a shame.

reall

hm, this is interesting question!:)) as someone mentioned it's best to check animal/tree/flower/crystals/abstract symbolic topic?:)) but if you want people and animal,,, maybe you can check on Guardian Angel Tarot Cards by DV?:))
and As Above?:)
Osho Zen?
or some children deck like Whimsical Tarot and Happy Tarot?:)
but guess if you really want no cruelty tarot/including no horseback riding/what you get on Chariot/Strenght/Sun/Death/6of wands/Knights,,,, etc you'll had to make one!x,x :))
(that just says about our exploiting culture!x,x facepalm :)
personaly I would luv to see Vegan/animal cruelty free Tarot!^^ lolz :))

Achlys

The happy tarot still depicts the knights riding on a horse, but it seems like it's more of an enjoyable ride together than anything else.
The strength card is adorable and shows the human and lion playing together

Achlys

Maybe the cosmic tarot would work? Iirc the knights aren't depicted on horseback and the strength card is a woman with a cloth printed with a lion...the ten of Swords is disturbing but doesn't show any violence towards an animal or person.

Laura Borealis

You can go here and see ALL the cards for a lot of decks: http://www.albideuter.de/

(The owner of the Albideuter site has permission to show them, so the link is allowed here. Some sites do not have permission so linking to them is not permitted)

I don't know about Osho Zen, reall. There's a circus theme with a couple cards. A monkey dressed up on a leash, a tiger being ridden. There's also a caged bird. The cage door is open, but still.

ETA: No on the Magical Forest. Cat stabbed with 10 Swords :(

Onaorkal

Wow!

I wasn't expecting so many answers / people willing to help me in my quest! Thanks to everyone of you for taking the challenge! :D

Many people even had the time to post while I was typing my text! I will now try to answer everyone.

AJ - I own the Druid Animal Oracle and it's really quite lovely, the art really gets me! If I'm correct the Druidcraft Tarot was made by the 2 same people and it looks quite nice, but it doesn't suit my requirements completely. I can see there are quite a few horseback riding images, but other than that it looks ok. It's clearly more respectful of the animals-humans bonds than many other decks!

About the Animism Tarot : I had forgotten about the 3 of swords with the bird getting pierced! I think I tolerated that image better because the bird chosen is a bleeding-heart dove and it naturally has that blood-looking red spot on its chest! I thought it was a quite clever choice for this card haha. But yes the bird is still getting hit by a sword mmh.

Laura Borealis - I was really seduced by the TaRat when I found out about it, but for an unknown reason I was a bit put off by the rats riding birds. Maybe it's the fact that they are harnessed like horses would be? It gives me a feeling of enslavement. BUT it's still on my "maybe one day" list because I really LOVE rats (and rodents in general).

I've looked up the link you gave for the Badger's Forest tarot and I like it quite much!! I had never heard of it before so thank you for the suggestion!

Aeric - Yeah the Cephalopod is not fitting for sure, the netted octopus is not nice and I don't think it fits the meaning of the Hanged Man? The octopus clearly didn't put himself in that situation! ;) And I saw that 10 of swords too Dee Ell haha! Quite graphic! x_x But I too appreciate your help Aeric thank you !! :)

Anemone Rosie - I've looked for the Tarot of the Animal Lords and the concept is interesting, but not really my style. But it might fit the guidelines, in that the animals are not hurt or used by humans? But they are so much anthropomorphized that I don't know what to think? The hanged man is ok since you can assume he put himself in that situation. I couldn't find the 3 of swords but I might not like it. Same for the other cards showing an animal dying or that will probably have that fate soon (the trapped mouse, the one falling down a cliff, the one under the tree).
As I wrote right before you posted (so maybe you didn't see it), I accept the fact that everything is not pretty in life, but I find that putting death and enslavement on so many cards is not necessary to get the point across. It's indeed from a vegan point of view. ;)

Aeric - I agree, the presence of riders is the lesser evil in most tarot decks, especially when you consider that some vegans consider horseback riding ok. I find it less triggering (to me at least) when the animal is not harnessed at all. It gives more the impression that the animal is "free" and not a "tool". I had the same thought regarding the Animal Divine and the riding of a flying boar hahaha!

Achlys - Yes it's a difficult question! But it seems I got some answers already, so I am happy! I thought I would have to make one myself haha! I like how you thought about the cats being able to prevent being injured while falling from a tower! :)
And yes tarot with only concepts, symbols, objects, plants, minerals can be quite interesting too, especially for this purpose. I am in fact quite attracted by the Tarot of the Trees!

Mim - thanks for your input! I know it gets really confusing!! Oracles seem to fit the guidelines a bit more easily so I'm not surprised! But tarot with all those knights and chariot...not easy! The One World Tarot seems to fit too, except that there are no animals/humans. It's ok too, but I was really taking the challenge to find one that shows harmony between humans/animals.

Laura Borealis - The Raven's Prophecy seems to be a bit 'simple' but I like the images! And true Achlys the borders are not the nicest color mmh... XD

reall - Thanks for your input and suggestions! I was totally getting ready to make a deck myself haha but I prefered to see if there wasn't something already on the market that could fit...seems to be hard to find! At least it doesn't stop me from being able to read, it is simply a bit triggering/unfocusing sometimes! I will have a look at your suggestions!

Falcor - I saw the Mibramig Tarot once and it might fit, from the images I could find. The art is not exactly to my liking but it seems to be really non-violent in general :)
The Tarot of the Magical Forest is really cute, I really like the art.

Laura Borealis - I just checked for the 10 of swords of the Magical Forest and the cat looks like a plush toy to me...maybe if that's the only problematic card I'd be ok....the 10 of swords is really a hard one eh! Also thank you for the link! That is indeed very useful, especially for a quest like mine!

Woah, sorry for the huge text everyone and thanks again!