"Vegan" deck?

Onaorkal

Achlys - I don't remember looking up the Black Cats Tarot but I should! Cat lovers can never have too many cat decks! ;)

Aeric - Yes those are quite strict guidelines! Especially considering the Rider-Waite inspiration which includes at least one person riding some animal and also because most (if not all) cultures do/did use animals in a way or another. (Whether it is/was done in a respectful way or not is another subject and I am not here to start a debate haha).

And yes I'm wondering if I'm not asking too much myself?
Tarot cards should not only be about happy stuff, but show realistic situations even if they are negative.
I'm not against having an animal pictured dead for example, but the images of animals shown suffering trigger me. Or killed by humans objects.
The Animal Divine looks interesting, I shall take a look more closely later, thank you for the suggestion! :)

Dee Ell - The only other card in the Animism Tarot deck that made me shrug a bit is the Temperance, showing a liger.
Ligers are usually (always?) "produced" in captivity, as lions and tigers won't usually have a reason to breed together in the wild. So I was a bit mad about that, given that the Temperance is one of my favorite cards in general. Other than that the deck is pretty nice and "natural" oriented.

The Baroque Bohemian Cats! Another cat deck haha! I think I saw it but wasn't sure if I liked it or not because of the 'humanization' of the cats. I shall take another look at it.

Talking about the Chariot, in the Mystical Cats Tarot you can see a cat in a chariot being pulled by 2 dogs! I thought it was funny. The one from the Black Cats look quite funny too haha!

I wanted to add that I'm pleasantly surprised that many decks maker decided to depict the Strength card by showing a lion in a "good" relationship with a human. For example in the Steampunk Tarot the girl trying to help a wounded lion. The original "trying to forcefully open the mouth of a lion" is a bit mehhh image to represent the deep meaning of this card - IMO.

AnemoneRosie

Tarot of the Animal Lords just about fits the bill, in that it is 100% human-free. There are zero humans, although sometimes our worldly possessions show up.

The Hanged Man has a bat hanging upside-down from a cord and the Three of Swords shows a bird in a cage which might be too much for you?
There are some other human influences as well, such as a racoon paddling a boat, and seals playing with balls. There are also animals on other animals (horses, swans, and pegasus all carry other animals) and a mouse is trapped in a spider web for the 8 of Swords. 9 of Swords shows one animal driving another off a cliff. There's one where an animal is dying under a tree, with his bloodied sword beside him. It's unclear whether or not this is self-inflicted as there's a bird sitting on a branch above his head, but surely the bird didn't do this?

The truth of the Tarot is that sometimes, not nice things happen in the world, and the images reflect that.

Laura Borealis

Tarot of the Animal Lords just about fits the bill, in that it is 100% human-free. There are zero humans, although sometimes our worldly possessions show up.

The Hanged Man has a bat hanging upside-down from a cord and the Three of Swords shows a bird in a cage which might be too much for you?
There are some other human influences as well, such as a racoon paddling a boat, and seals playing with balls. There are also animals on other animals (horses, swans, and pegasus all carry other animals) and a mouse is trapped in a spider web for the 8 of Swords. 9 of Swords shows one animal driving another off a cliff. There's one where an animal is dying under a tree, with his bloodied sword beside him. It's unclear whether or not this is self-inflicted as there's a bird sitting on a branch above his head, but surely the bird didn't do this?

The truth of the Tarot is that sometimes, not nice things happen in the world, and the images reflect that.

There's one card with a rifle, too, and it suggests hunting. So that's a bit iffy for the criteria given.

I have had Animal Lords on and off my wish list for ages though! The animal-human hybrids evoke a lot of archetypes and symbolic meaning.

I just saw this video by the creator of the Badgers' Forest Tarot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkJDzOtknoU

I think it shows ALL the art. There's some evidence of the human world, such as a picket fence in a background, and a scarecrow in a field, but mostly these animals seem to live in a world without human influence.

Dee Ell

Achlys - I don't remember looking up the Black Cats Tarot but I should! Cat lovers can never have too many cat decks! ;)

Personally, I prefer the BBCats to the Black Cats (or White Cats) decks because although the cats are in human clothes and situations, they are not drawn as humans - meaning, their anatomical structure isn't changed to be/move human-like. It might just be an artist preference on my part or something deeper as many people seem to love those decks.

Tarot cards should not only be about happy stuff, but show realistic situations even if they are negative.
I'm not against having an animal pictured dead for example, but the images of animals shown suffering trigger me. Or killed by humans objects.
The Animal Divine looks interesting, I shall take a look more closely later, thank you for the suggestion! :)

This is exactly how I feel - it's not a desire for only pleasant things / images - there's plenty of death and destruction in the animal kingdom (see "Demon Cat" in Mystical Cats deck 😂😢 ) but for me at least, to see unnecessary abusive domination of beings that have no recourse is an extra layer of tragedy...

I think you might be missing the point of this thread AnemoneRosie :( See Onaorkal's comment and my reply to it directly above 👆

Aeric

The riders are the least violent obstacle here. I suppose you could assume the animal is being treated well and it's a harmonious relationship, but that's up to you. I think once you can reconcile this, the possibilities might get wider.

For now, I'd go with Animal Divine, because at least the riders are goddesses, so you could frame it that their animals are godly beings as well, and not only treated well but immune to suffering, and greater intelligence than a common animal. I mean, no human rides a flying boar.

Achlys

Just did some more research and the black cats tarot definitely doesn't have any human-animal violence or even animal-animal violence. The ten of swords is actually rather benign.
The only card is the tower, but I'd imagine since they're cats they would be able to leap into the trees rather than be injured.

This is really a difficult question lol

Achlys

The only deck I can think of that's 100% violence free is the Wyzard of odd tarot...but it doesn't depict people nor animals.

AnemoneRosie

The only deck I can think of that's 100% violence free is the Wyzard of odd tarot...but it doesn't depict people nor animals.

Like how Tarot of Trees is a tree on every card and that's the extent of it?

Mim

Hi, Onaorkal, maybe this Tarot of Isis ?

[Edit : sorry, it wasn't a Tarot ! Why do they call "Tarot" any playing game or oracle stuff they invent ? :( ]

I don't know it at all, though.

Achlys

Like how Tarot of Trees is a tree on every card and that's the extent of it?

Sort of like that. The art is a little more in depth than the tarot of trees but it's a similar concept.