"Will Read Tarot For Food" ...

stefficus

i'd take it! bring me a bag of homegrown tomatoes and half that angelfood cake you baked this morning, and i'm yours for a reading. *NOM*

zannamarie

Grizabella said:
I think I'd want the meal first.

When I first read the title of the thread, what I thought was meant that the person would read for canned goods or something. :p
They might give a "canned" reading if someone did that. :D

Sounds like someone wants to barter. Maybe it's a way of money not exchanging hands?

souljourney

I have noticed a lot of barter stuff on craigslist.
We have some orange bearded dragon lizards for sale. Two people have asked about barter/trade. One wants to trade tattoo work, and I can't remember the other.
I am willing to do some trade too. My "tech geek" and I have a trade arrangement. And housecleaning also.
It wouldn't surprise me to see more of this. Why not trade babysitting with a neighbor instead of hiring a sitter, lots of possibilities...

celticnoodle

minrice said:
Personally I think that would be awkward, to read the cards and then spend what, an hour with this person after for lunch? That would just feel weird to me and doesn't feel very professional. I think there would be many issues with reading regularly in a restaurant, noise being one and not being taken as seriously as I'd like being the other. However reading the cards for cheeseburgers does sound tasty.

Craigslist may be a good idea for advertising though, I've always had great luck buying and selling through it.
though I find the ad very odd, and I for one would be a bit apprehensive at taking this tarot reader up for their offer, I will say that my very first tarot card reading was done in a restuarant, who had tarot readers at their establishment for over 50yrs. It was the place my mother had her first tarot card reading, and became a sort of tradition in our family to go there for readings. Mom took all us kids when we turned about 14 or 15, I think, as well as friends of ours and hers. (my mom was a tarot card/psychic reader in our own home, as were others in her family, but they all drew the line at reading for family).

Anyway, at the estabishment that we would go to, you had to purchase lunch or dinner there, and spend at least $5.00 (that was in about 1974 when you could get a lunch and drink for under $5.00 :p), and then it cost you an extra $3.00 for a tarot card reading then. You were also able to tip the reader more, if you wished, but it was not mandatory.

It was a great place to go for readings, and my mother would take us on a regular basis there, about 3 or 4 times a year. We were known as 'regulars' :p. We all had great readings and they remain some of the most wonderful readings I will always treasure. I have also taken my own daughter there for readings, but now the place is no longer in business. :(

celticnoodle

GreenMoonBeam said:
OMG! I thought the same as Griz! Thought the 'reader' was on hard times & wanted food-food not a restaurant. LOL. Ah, such a blonde.:bugeyed:
You know, maybe they would consider a gift certificate to a grocery store in stead of lunch or dinner out. Not such a bad idea from you or Griz's thought! though I think they may feel a bit odd at having you bring in a few grocery bags filled with canned goods and such! :laugh:

gregory

I think this is quite smart. And after all - it doesn't say you have to sit WITH the guy for the meal. You could just lay the restaurant in advance - ior as someone says, buy the food....

There is quite a trend for trading goods rather than cash these days. I teach your daughter to play chess, she babysits for Jennifer up the road, who cooks for me when MIL comes+ to visit - that sort of thing.

Seems like a winner, to me.

Jyscal

floracove said:
What!
That is funny!
LOL!
im serious! I could never imagine myself doing something like that. It must take alot of courage to put forth an offer like that. But as you said, everyone needs to eat!

Cactus

gregory said:
I think this is quite smart. And after all - it doesn't say you have to sit WITH the guy for the meal. You could just lay the restaurant in advance - ior as someone says, buy the food....

There is quite a trend for trading goods rather than cash these days. I teach your daughter to play chess, she babysits for Jennifer up the road, who cooks for me when MIL comes+ to visit - that sort of thing.

Seems like a winner, to me.

I totally agree, and also that I think the person didn't mean to actually HAVE lunch or dinner with the person.

I think that within the next 5 to 7 years we will see a lot of bartering.

floracove

Jyscal said:
im serious! I could never imagine myself doing something like that. It must take alot of courage to put forth an offer like that. But as you said, everyone needs to eat!
I know you were sweetie, but my wacky sense of humor picked up on the pun and I couldn't help but to laugh.

I agree it would take a lot of guts!

aja

I am willing to do some trade too. My "tech geek" and I have a trade arrangement. And housecleaning also.
It wouldn't surprise me to see more of this. Why not trade babysitting with a neighbor instead of hiring a sitter, lots of possibilities...

Agreeing. I've done a lot of website and graphic work for folks/businesses with an arrangement of trade of services for merchandise or services. I keep track of my time/cost and they reimburse me to that amount. Works well for both of us.

In this Reader's case, offering to read for lunch also has the networking aspect that could pay off in the long run...