A curious experiment....

wytchwood

I have decided to get a deck which is the FARTHEST away from what I would normally go for, the reasons for which will become apparent. This experiment is inspired by a number of disappointing purchases. These were decks I was so sure I would love, but when I came to read with them, I either didn't feel drawn to read with them, or I found them less than vocal in readings, whereas the Morgan Greer- a deck I wasn't sure if I'd like- has immediately become by favourite deck.

So, by this logic, I have decided to go for the deck I would be LEAST likely to buy, and the one which those who know me would be most flabbergasted to see me with, and after careful consideration, I have decided that this deck will be the Baroque Bohemian Cats. Once I get the deck, I will be using it exclusively for at least one week, and reporting the results on this thread.

Does anyone wish to join me in this folly? Simply think about what deck is the most unlike you to buy (it doesn't mean a rubbish deck, it should be a good one, just really far from your usual bag). Please feel free to comment anyway if not, and follow along out of morbid curiosity if you wish.

Zoe xxx

wytchwood

PS I was a bit unsure where this should go, so Mods, please feel free to move if it would be more appropriate somewhere else. :)

Grizabella

I had the same experience with the Morgan Greer and Robin Wood. And the Victorian Romantic!!----my gosh, that was an absolutely positive Tower experience for me! Because of it, I took a chance on the Bohemian Gothic, not thinking it would be so much a fantastic deck for me but hoping, and then when I saw it, it was just so powerful! I'm going to be using it as a tool for writing the book about my life that I've always intended to write before I die. It's perfect for that. (My first 40 years were very dark. This deck speaks to me of that. )

Another deck that I know is going to hold a lot of power, but a gentle power, for me is the Motherpeace. I keep intending to devote time to it because it feels special to me at this time in my life but I'd never in a jillion years have gotten it except for a strange urge once.

I think what you're doing is wonderful and I'll be cheering everyone on from the sidelines. Maybe I'll take the time to join in a little bit here and there with the Motherpeace if I can. Right now I'm quite wrapped up in the Bohemian Gothic.

GypsyHeart

It's so interesting all the "experiments" that people seem to be doing now.

I've never thought of doing something like this, although in a way The Universal Fantasy is one that I'd never normally be drawn to, but it is now quite a favorite.

I'll poke around and see if I can pick one for this experiment.

Thanks for the idea :)

karenquilter

I bought the Prague & Soprafino from an AT trader. I'd heard that they were good & couldn't wait to try them. She had several other decks listed, so I also chose the Robin Wood as an afterthought.

The Prague leaves me cold (I have & enjoy MR's BBC deck), I don't regret the Soprafino, and I love, love, love the Robin Wood. It turned out to be the best in the box.

scorpio-eagle43

I bought the victorian romantic, because of all the rave reviews on here, even looked at pictures of it and thought it looked awful, love it to death now

does you good to come out of the comfort zone. Add some excitement!
good luck x

jumaja28

Me three!

Just got the Victorian Romantic yesterday. I had never really been interested, but folks on AT just wouldn't stop talking about it! I got curious about the unique card material and realized that I'd actually seen this one at my semilocal pseudo-Barnes and Noble. The cardstock wasn't revolutionary (it was still good), and the deck isn't the illusive Perfect Deck. Nevertheless, it's a great deck, and I definitely don't regret it. So much better than getting your hopes up, only to be hugely disappointed.

PeterS

wytchwood said:
Does anyone wish to join me in this folly? Simply think about what deck is the most unlike you to buy (it doesn't mean a rubbish deck, it should be a good one, just really far from your usual bag). Please feel free to comment anyway if not, and follow along out of morbid curiosity if you wish.

This is a very curious question. I think that I have had this type of things beginning to take form. Right now I am exclusively using the Liber T right now but I have noticed that this is a deck that is very different from the decks that I normally use. I have been thinking of going further out on the Tarot spectrum.

I have heard that many of the AT have spoken well of the Bohemian Gothic Tarot. I have started to look at getting a dark deck. This would be about a complete change for me. I am considering getting the Gothic Tarot and book when my three months with the Liber T is up.

If I do I will let you know how it goes.

Peter

WalesWoman

Is this some new faloutin' form of deck enabling? :laugh:

Maybe I should dig out the Thoth, I have it, but it's so not me that I haven't even tried yet to read with it.

I thought the VR would be me, I loved it... until I tried to read with it, but then again, it could have been because I was in a mental/emotional funk and couldn't read a newspaper, much less tarot for about 4 months. Too late, I gave it away at Christmas... so unless I get it again, I'll never know.

Emily

I think this might happen a lot too - sometimes there is a reason why you don't take to a deck at first then a few weeks/months or even years down the road you see a particular deck again and its like a different deck.

I have learned never to say never on these boards because sometimes posts can come back and bite you on the bottom.

My very old posts on the Liber T make me cringe, the ones where I decided that this deck was the product of someones worse nightmares and the blood and severed heads really got to me not to mention some of the images of torture. I remember really trying to like the deck and then sitting down and trying to pick favourite cards out - I really didn't like any of them except the Majors and so off it went to trade (actually for a deck that I haven't really worked with either).

Now I'm finding this deck so different, I just can't see what I was seeing when I briefly owned this deck before - There is no negativity, the blood and images fit, its still a strange and deep deck but it just feels so right.

I think people grow and tastes change - a deck you wouldn't give the time of day to at one time can touch a nerve and you realise that you need that nerve touching for you to grow and learn.

So I think that when you deeply dislike a deck then decide to give it a chance, it's for a reason - maybe you just wasn't ready to work with the deck at that particular time but now you are.

I'm glad it happened to me with the Liber T because for the last 7 months, I've really started to feel like I can read and use tarot cards and I feel more comfortable with this deck than I ever have with any of my other 'favourites'. :)

(Sorry this is so long and rambling, I've have too much coffee :D)