Tarot Apps - Good idea?

notjonathan

Scion said:
Not at all, your app looks beautiful... And it does tackle a lion's share of the issues mentioned above, and it does have a "tactile" vibe which is no small accomplishment.

Now if only it had a Thoth deck option. :) And was available for Android. And... And... And... :D

Many thanks! I wish Thoth were more widely available -- my artwork is all based on public domain images, and I don't want to tread on other folks copyright.

thinbuddha

notjonathan said:
Anyway, I don't want to turn this into an ad. If anyone would like a free copy to see how I approached these issues, just get in touch (I have plenty of promo codes to give out).

Thanks for the code!

I'll pay you back with a detailed review once I have a chance to play around with it a little more. After a (very) brief look, it looks really nice (far better than any of the other apps I've played with). I haven't purchased the other apps in the same price range because they don't have TdM, so I can't really say how you stack up to them...

I am glad to own this app, and would say it is easily worth the money.... But I never would have purchased it if I had stumbled across it in the itunes store. The description doesn't do justice to the elegance of the interface! You need to market yourself better!

My (very quick) list of things that I'd love to see for future updates:

Option of full decks or majors only (lack of 78 TdM was my biggest disappointment)
Option to turn reversals on and off
Ability to edit text descriptions of card meanings (these meanings should be tied to each specific deck)
Ability to edit & create custom spreads
Is there a way to save spreads and make notes on them?

In case this list sounds to you like a list of things I don't like.... well, I wouldn't bother with such a list if I didn't think it was worth while to improve on an already great V1.0

notjonathan

thinbuddha said:
In case this list sounds to you like a list of things I don't like.... well, I wouldn't bother with such a list if I didn't think it was worth while to improve on an already great V1.0

Thanks so much, I'm blushing! Alas I'm no good at promotional writing. Any ideas there would be most welcome.

Your suggestions are all really good, and others have said similar things. Almost the first thing out of all my friends' mouths was "how do you turn off reversals" so clearly I missed a big one there. Restricting things to only majors is pretty easy, so I'll certainly add that in 1.1 .

Custom spreads are trickier, but doable. I wanted to include that too (drag the cards into position, then name and write up each one), but opted to get things going live first.

The best I can offer for notes on spreads (for now) is through the email function. You'll be presented with a detailed HTML email with all the cards, the positions, and the text associated therewith. You can actually edit the email as you'd like, and then send it (either to yourself or others -- it's just the normal mail app).

Thanks again, and so glad you enjoyed it.

WingspreadPhoenix

I'd like a tarot app just for fun. I don't think they can truly replace real decks, but it could get a lot of new people into tarot, and could be useful in a place where bringing out a deck wouldn't be smart (a crowded train, etc)

RubyV

Now if only there were such an app for symbian.

thorhammer

thinbuddha said:
My (very quick) list of things that I'd love to see for future updates:

Option of full decks or majors only (lack of 78 TdM was my biggest disappointment)
Option to turn reversals on and off
Ability to edit text descriptions of card meanings (these meanings should be tied to each specific deck)
Ability to edit & create custom spreads
Is there a way to save spreads and make notes on them?
In other words, you want an Orphalese app? :joke:

\m/ Kat

thinbuddha

thorhammer said:
In other words, you want an Orphalese app? :joke:

\m/ Kat

mmmmm maybe (?)

But I want it on my iphone. For a home computer.... I'll just grab a real deck and take notes the old fashioned way.

notjonathan

I just got a few more promo codes available. I'd love people's responses/suggestions for improvement (and frank reviews, frankly!). If you care to use them, they're free for the taking (but they only work once, so first-come, first-serve).

XJHNJJJ6J4KW
99PT3HXAKTKY
WK7JNAEAE97L

You can redeem them here:

https://buy.itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZFinance.woa/wa/redeemLandingPage

BlueBlulle

Have a detailed review written up... not sure where to put it on Aeclectic. I already posted my 2 cents on iTunes.

notjonathan

BlueBlulle said:
My 2 complaints... No toggle to allow for all upright cards (I don't read with reversals), and no ability to pull a particular card to reproduce a physical spread. Of these, the second is nitpicking, the first is a nagging itch.

Thanks -- what a fantastic review. I'm so happy you were able to dive into such detail. For what it's worth, "no reversals" has been the first thing that anyone has said (friends, other forum folks), so I clearly missed a big point there. It will certainly be in version 1.1, coming soon. There are, as you saw, quite a few typos here and there.

I'm still trying to figure out how to integrate choosing one card into the interface. I like to maintain as much of a sense of a real deck as possible, but moving through the cards individually will ultimately frustrate people. Hmm. Any suggestions are welcome....

Thanks again!