"My deck hates me" and such ideas

rebecca-smiles

Fudugazi said:
I suspect your RWS would like to be a Thoth but doesn't dare, so it resorts to sick humour.

Deck with an identity crisis? deck envy?

This takes deck issues to a whole new level.

Reader: it's not me, i'm an excellent reader. It's my deck that is telling you c**p. You see, it thinks it really sucks being so common, and like every other deck out there...it's trying to be a thoth. Hence the bad language.

gregory

Hey look - once (and only once) I read with the execrable Charmed. I asked it what kind of a deck it was - and it TOLD me it was crap. I was very impressed. Decks do have a sense of humour.

Sophie

Maybe it wasn't a joke, Gregory. Maybe it meant it and wanted you to reassure it. And you didn't, cruel lady! You reinforced its negative self-image!

gregory

Fudugazi said:
Maybe it wasn't a joke, Gregory. Maybe it meant it and wanted you to reassure it. And you didn't, cruel lady! You reinforced its negative self-image!
Actually I posted that I was impressed that it recognised its own shortcomings.... isn't that validation too ? }) (You have SEEN it, have you ???? :eek:)

Sophie

gregory said:
(You have SEEN it, have you ???? :eek:)
The deck or the thread? The deck, thankfully, I have not seen in any other way than scans. The thread I have seen }).

I am actually convinced that one of my decks hates me. But that's between me and it, and I wouldn't actually wash my dirty linen in public. I shall simply say - whatever question I ask it, the answer invariably is "no, bog off, don't waste my time, you loser, don't even think about it" and other such charming replies. And all said in sweet, butter-wouldn't-melt imagery. I tell you, the Vampires wouldn't be so mean! In fact, the Vampires are rather helpful, in their blowsy melodramatic way.

rebecca-smiles

Gregory said:
I asked it what kind of a deck it was - and it TOLD me it was crap.

Fudugazi said:
"no, bog off, don't waste my time, you loser, don't even think about it" and other such charming replies. And all said in sweet, butter-wouldn't-melt imagery.

I see. inferiority and superiority complexes. What this forum needs is a deck shrink. where's firemaiden?

Mariana

Have you tried to find out whether it's general animosity or personal? Your deck may have a general disorder, like anxiety disorder, or bear a personal grudge, and of course the therapy would have to be different for different cases. If it's just generally wacky, you may have to use some kind of chemical addition to recreate internal balance, unless of course you enjoy psychotic readings. If it resents you, it may just need another deck's box to cry on for a while? Who knows what traumas it suffers from, maybe it's been mistreated very badly during shipping...
And you can always try relationship therapy. ;)

Sophie

Mariana said:
Have you tried to find out whether it's general animosity or personal? Your deck may have a general disorder, like anxiety disorder, or bear a personal grudge, and of course the therapy would have to be different for different cases. If it's just generally wacky, you may have to use some kind of chemical addition to recreate internal balance, unless of course you enjoy psychotic readings. If it resents you, it may just need another deck's box to cry on for a while? Who knows what traumas it suffers from, maybe it's been mistreated very badly during shipping...
And you can always try relationship therapy. ;)
Personally, I think that deck of mine needs a good whack, but I am non-violent, so I've resorted to passive-aggressive methods: I ignore it. But a deck shrink might be a good idea. I nominate the Rubber Chicken for such a task.

Mariana

Fudugazi said:
Personally, I think that deck of mine needs a good whack, but I am non-violent.

Phew. You wouldn't want the deck to be taken away from you and placed with a foster reader, of course.

Hm, would bad decks straighten up when they get sent to someone else for a while? And is there a hospital for depressed decks? And is there a heaven that decks go to when they die? Wow, major existential questions coming up! :D

shelikes2read

rebecca-smiles said:
I see. inferiority and superiority complexes. What this forum needs is a deck shrink. where's firemaiden?

I called a deck shrink once. All he did was shrink my deck! Now it's the size of a keychain. Look:

4570172P.GIF

;)