The Month of May Rant - History of Reading Part 1

Umbrae

Behold, Umbrae Draco, mouthpiece of Ooolatek the Seditious One Who Speaks Only Lies, Keeper of the Despicable Temple of Divine Evil, is about to speak - tremble ye heritics!

So there you are, you’ve spent ages memorizing key words, you’ve read all the books, you’ve got attributions, elemental dignitaries (all dressed in their tuxedos and gowns), pip cards, court cards, heck we can add and subtract numbers, got all them astrological signs posted ready to go…

And up walks your very first time sitter for a face to face…a tabula rasa if you will…

What’ going to happen?

Let’s back up a moment. We have sections on this forum devoted to History (of the Tarot), Kabbalah and Alphabets, Tarot Decks, yada yada yada.

But what about The History of reading?

I’ve said before and I’ll say it again – what the cards ‘mean’ has nothing to do with anything. It’s what occurs between you and the sitter that carries meaning – it’s the rapport.

Reading…I think it is time to look at some history of reading.

But first you have to do some homework (and yes, there will be a pop quiz, and yes it will be graded). Go to Wikipedia – enter the words Cold Reading in the search field and hit enter. Read the article.

Then read one of my old posts, called ‘The Process: In the Camp of the Enemy.”

Cold Reading is an old Carny term. Fake Readers, are a sub-branch of Mentalism (fake mind reading) which is a sub-branch of Magic (think Penn & Teller). Yes, there are books written for magicians on how to be a fake (cold) reader. They are difficult to come by, and closely guarded. There are two magicians, who do write for both the magic community (and discuss how to be scam artists) and also write for the ‘New Age’ community, dressing themselves up as ‘experts’. One is widely read and I’ll bet that over 78% of the AT members own at least one of the author’s books. The other is not so widely read.

Before he changed the face of cinema with ‘Citizen Kane’ Orson Welles, was an accomplished magician; and ‘psychic cold reader’. In a rare interview given in 1983, he told the following story, “I began just saying things off the top of my head. A woman came in," he continued, "a nice-looking woman in her late 30's, well dressed. Looking perfectly happy. I said, 'you just lost your husband,' and she burst into tears. I quit then, because I had become what is known as a shut eye; that is an expression in the rackets, an occupational disease of fake psychics which is to believe yourself. You are receiving it (information) instantaneously and you give the answers before you have consciously rationalized. All I could do was comfort her in her loss and close up shop because I didn't want to get in that line of work."

So are we (or strive to be), by definition, Shut Eye Readers?

When I read for a stranger, face to face – I call that reading for a stranger face to face – it is not a Cold Reading. I’m not a carnival charlatan screwing folks outta their hard earned dollars, although some of you may contest that claim…

Movies and Cinema have for years, based their concept of Readers on the stereotype of the Cold Reading Fortune Teller. They then took the Gypsy myth and combined it to create the Gypsy Fortune teller (yeah I know the whole association with the Roma and Tarot started with Jean-Alexandre Vaillant, and then was picked up by Papus who ran with it – but that’s the history of Tarot – here, we’re discussing the history of Reading), which was a perfect fit anyway, since there was a widespread prejudice against the Roma in the US during the fifties.

Cold Readers base a lot on reading body language and demographics. Ever have a sitter who crosses their arms and will not move a muscle? They are trying not to ‘give anything away’ to you in case you’re a cold reader.

Let’s take that statement used in “In the Camp of the Enemy”, You have a strong need for other people to like you and for them to admire you. If it’s a hit, you continue with “Many times you will 'go along' just to avoid a confrontation. After a disagreement, you will often be the first to apologize, even though it isn't necessary or required on your part.” If it’s a miss, you say, “But you shouldn't become disappointed when others take only a surface impression of you; you have facets of your personality of which very few others have been allowed a glimpse. You value your privacy more than most.

To a cold reader, the Tarot is but a tool. The above would be used when 'reading' the significator.

So do you want to be a Cold Reader or do you want to read face to face for strangers?

What’s the big deal you say?

Well if you use the language of the charlatan, when others hear you speak, what are they going to think of you? Real or fake?

Anyways…that’s some history for you. Do with it what you will. Oh…the point?

So there you are, you’ve spent ages memorizing key words, you’ve read all the books, you’ve got attributions, elemental dignitaries (all dressed in their tuxedos and gowns), pip cards, court cards, heck we can add and subtract numbers, got all them astrological signs posted ready to go…

And up walks your very first time sitter for a face to face…a tabula rasa if you will…

Let’s switch the camera angle…

You’ve got a problem. A serious one. One you cannot take it to family, or friends, or the clergy, or the doctors the lawyers or the Indian chief. And you walk up to the readers table and see…you…what do you see?

Someone who’s stuck in the sixties?

Someone who’s a parody of a Reader? A fake gypsy?

Or the genuine you?

The Tabula Rasa is your’s to paint…

I like to ask folks to consider two questions before they begin reading for others, “Why do you want to read Tarot (for others)”, and “Why do they come to us?”

These questions serve a purpose. The first one is designed to force you to examine your own intent. I’ve always said that the answer, “Because I can” gets a failing grade. Please stand on the trap-door out of my office. It’s ego speaking. May as well be a Bible thumper.

Intent. That’s key to the whole discussion here.

Why do they come to us? If you don’t respect why people come to Readers, you get a failing grade. Please stand on the trap-door out of my office.

Do you equivocate with your readings?

Do you believe in yourself? Why not?

Umbrae said:
And why fail? Because you're parents told you that you'd fail? Some teacher? Some lame boyfriend? Failure thinking is one of the big problems in this world. Please get over it, you'll be so much more useful to mankind...

So if a Reader is ‘stuck in the past’, can they help me with my life issues?

If a Reader is a parody of the Gypsy Fortune Teller can they really help me with my life issues?

Do I want them to?

If you’re consumed with fear that you may be wrong, and read only over the net can you really help me with my life issues?

If you write a page and a half in 12 point font on each card, are you not providing so much information that the meaning is unclear, thus essentially giving an online Cold Reading – filled with ambiguity.

Do your Angels prevent you from facing your own fear of being wrong? Are you afraid to read in public because of what people will think? Are you afraid to read in public because you might make a mistake? That you may be wrong?

Do you have anything I need to hear? I think not.

I do however think you can be a ‘Cold Reader’ if your heart and intent is in the correct place. I think you’ll be guided into becoming a real Reader (capital R) in spite of yourself.

Well – there are some things to ponder here, and I do suggest you ponder them.

Remember…what the cards ‘mean’ has nothing to do with anything. It’s what occurs between you and the sitter that carries meaning – it’s the rapport…and well yeah – sometimes ya just gotta be a fortune teller…cuz that’s what the sitter needs.

Are you up to it? :smoker:

squeakmo9

Just sent this to Umbrae via pm, and wanted to share his advice to me:

Hi Umbrae,

I just read your rant post and it just seemed timely.
I've been here on AT for a couple of years doing reading circles and last month I tried to read for a stranger for the first time.
I've always gotten fairly good feedback from the people I read here in the reading circles. Reading for a stranger, in person, well, it wasn't what I expected. I was so utterly nervous, nothing made sense. The person I read for was another AT member (who I had never met) and he was generous and patient to say the least. After I gave him the read, I had to leave, I felt like an idiot.
Thing is, it made me think, like your post has made me think...why do I read (or try)the cards. How do I interact with strangers?
I read tarot cards cause it helps me to understand myself, my own issues. Why do I want to read for someone in person?
You know, I'm not really sure. I'd like to help people with there problems...that's what I thought when I started in the reading circles here. I hoped it would make me a better reader, but, as with the NYC meetup last month...it proved that I really do not know the cards at all, or perhaps, myself, well felt like it.
Very disappointed in myself, but just wanted to share this, as you are making me looking deeper as to why I want to read for another human being, or at least try.
Uuuumm...I guess I AM scared of looking like an idiot and being wrong, and yet I hope to be of some use...lol...very confused.
Thank you for listening to my rant, and sharing your wisdom.
:)
squeak

p.s. I really do enjoy your posts!

Umbrae's advice to me (thanks, BTW)...

Umbrae said:
I'd have been worried if you'd not felt 'lost' after your first face to face with a stranger (even if you knew them online).
It takes awile to get over that lost yukky feeling.
But it's your intent - that's good - and something you should not turn your back on.
yeah - so you're scared and disappointed – anybody who says that they’ve never felt that way when reading face to face for a stranger – is either lying to you, or themselves.
Myself, when I feel that way, I get like a dog, roll around in it for a while to stink myself up real good – then I carry on and get over it.
:heart:

frelkins

ok umbrae, i've read wikipedia and your old post. now as always i'm confused.

you say that a "real" reading depends on the rapport. yet isn't that the same rapport that the cold readers use? they create a sense of rapport and then rely on people's desire for narrative to let the victims convince themselves they are experiencing something uniquely for them.

since i am only a collector and not reader, let me ask: i now see what a "fake" reading is. tell me more about a real one.

how would i go and discern our well-intentioned friend squeakmo from the accomplished fraud, or even karen stollznow, the trained fraud buster? (http://www.bad-language.com/psychicskeptic) how could i tell that even you would not be cold-reading me?

HonestPuck

Umbrae said:
One is widely read and I’ll bet that over 78% of the AT members own at least one of the author’s books.

Which book/author is that?

Umbrae

HonestPuck said:
Which book/author is that?
Umbrae said:
But first you have to do some homework (and yes, there will be a pop quiz, and yes it will be graded).

sorry...hints are not allowed. It's public information for those who wish to know.

Umbrae

frelkins said:
ok umbrae, i've read wikipedia and your old post. now as always i'm confused.

you say that a "real" reading depends on the rapport. yet isn't that the same rapport that the cold readers use? they create a sense of rapport and then rely on people's desire for narrative to let the victims convince themselves they are experiencing something uniquely for them.

since i am only a collector and not reader, let me ask: i now see what a "fake" reading is. tell me more about a real one.

how would i go and discern our well-intentioned friend squeakmo from the accomplished fraud, or even karen stollznow, the trained fraud buster? (http://www.bad-language.com/psychicskeptic) how could i tell that even you would not be cold-reading me?

Good question.

The answer's in front of you. I don't mean to sound flippant...but...

frelkins

Umbrae said:
The answer's in front of you.

well, indeed it was, umbrae -- since i happened to be at the gathering squeakmo describes. ironically, having met squeak and coyoteblack both, i will say what made me feel that the intentions were sincere was in fact, the very hesitation and modesty about the cards! the self-doubt, to be frank! :)

the fake tv psychics never display this quality, are never at a loss for words.

.traveller.

I remembered hearing about cold reading when I was first learning tarot. I even remember looking at querents to see if I could pick up clues from their appearance, but their 'look' and what the cards were saying seemed at complete odds that I figured, what the heck and just went with the cards. I guess I never picked up the knack for it, its much more exciting to just read the cards and get it right, than to psyche people out anyway.

frelkins

perhaps umbrae will correct me here .traveller. but i thought what he was getting at was that at bottom all readings depend on this rapport, and on people's own innocent desire to find meaning in all encounters. it is the sitter who offers the meaning after all.

thus in a way all readings are in a sense cold. this is why i think he asked squeakmo about her intentions -- she is not out to harm anyone.

as for you, some people have this cold talent naturally? could you perhaps be so gifted that you can do it unconsciously? :) not being provocative, just asking. . .perhaps many "intuitive" people here intuit not the cards but the sitter, without realizing it, and certainly with an open heart and the best faith?

is this what you mean, umbrae?