The Month of May Rant - History of Reading Part 1

franniee

Julien said:
1. Intention -- if you intend to deceive the sitter into believing that you are reading their cards but instead are only reading them, then you are cold reading;

2. The role of the cards... And here's where I am not sure I can articulate my thoughts well, but... It seems to me that in cold reading the cards are peripheral at best -- they are a prop (or even a lure) the reader uses to deceive the sitter. In a shuteye reader, they are the focus of attention -- the attention of BOTH reader and sitter. And it's from the card-focused conversation between reader and sitter (that the reader guides through their interpretation of the cards) that the meaning of the reading really emerges...

I've had the cold reading type too many times to count. I lived in NYC for 15 years and whenever I would go down to the village on a warm night or at a feast the "gypsies" would be out. They would do just that - size you up - and find the chinks in your armor. Very disconcerting in the very beginning when I was too young but quite amusing as my inner strength blossomed. They would use everything they could from my eye and hair color to clothing to eavesdropping to sizing up my friends.

Orson Wells was such an interesting man!

But what of those people who use the cards as a channel? They are merely a gateway - they aren't looking at the Star as hope - they don't even see the star they get their info from deep within or the beyond...not to decieve - because that is what I am striving to do.

Umbrae

franniee said:
But what of those people who use the cards as a channel? They are merely a gateway - they aren't looking at the Star as hope - they don't even see the star they get their info from deep within or the beyond...not to decieve - because that is what I am striving to do.
franniee gets an A (and the very coveted Black Star)

:smoker:

Editorial Note: Grades are not real. Such would imply perhaps could imply a value of one post over another. This is not the intent.
Grades a only for fun…
Although the Black Star is highly coveted.

sleepingcat

*hangs head, ears out flat and tail drooped* nope. I dont get it at all. ;-;

well.... the rudementary, preschool lesson "lying at cards = bad" but- that's intregity.

But I dont get how being a shut-eye reader is good? How can some one generate a useful reading without context?

It'd be like getting "42"

franniee

franniee said:

I got interrupted before I really finished this by people who were looking over my shoulder :( but I wanted to add.....I have had this type of reading as well although only a handful of times - but the hair on the back of my neck stood up to signify that i was in the presence of something very rare and very awesome.

NOW how do I get me there :laugh: that is my question.

:love:

thinbuddha

If you can read cards, runes, hexagrams, sugar packets etc... can you not read a sitter? Does reading a sitter somehow poison your intent? I think not.

Reading is reading- it hardly matters what you are reading- intent is key..... the cards, not so much.

rebecca-smiles

There is a well known magician here in the UK called Derren Brown. A few years ago he did a programme which i recorded and showed to my mum, who has been reading tarot for 30+ years (and is extreemly good, her interpretations style is very like Umbrae's).

In it Derren cold read a person in the street; asking him only to respond in yes/no answers, and had one hand on his shoulder. He deduced (i guess gold reading is deducing things?) that the guy was a security guard who wanted to be a pro golfer. Ther were many other examples, which he said was cold reading. But when he was asked 'but how do you get is SO accurate' he relpied with something along the lines of "well to a certian extent it is guessing, and the more practiced you are at guessing, and the more daring you are, generally the better your guesses get." Sometimes he seems genuinely surprised and elated at his own accuracy, like a child who has won a prize.

I'm thinking that he is starting to expereince shut-eye reading even though he is consciously performing 'tricks.'

So... i put it to my mum "what if really all you are doing when you read tarot, is what he is doing, but you aren't even aware of it because you think it is in the cards? could it be possible?"

to which she replied "i suppose so, although i could read just as well without changing how i read, but my entire world view would have to change because i believe it is from spirit, and in the cards."

To her, however she read; she was reading. It was all about her intent.

Grizabella

franniee said:
NOW how do I get me there :laugh: that is my question.

:love:

By getting "me" out of the way. :)

Ahria

I always find reading some of Umbrae's post a cross between Wilbur Smith and Mel Brooks. (no insult intended I love both of them)

Basically that means I have to reread the post a couple of times.

I think you can read from anything, you just a vessel for a message, personally I like letting the images from the cards let my mind and spirit wander more as a guide than as a leader.

franniee

Solitaire* said:
By getting "me" out of the way. :)

LOL :laugh: yes - that is very very true! Thank you!!

Grizabella

Once I master the getting "me" out of the way, then there's an open channel for hearing the message I'm meant to hear. "Me" is the one who is distracted by "am I doing this right?" and "dare I say this because if I do, I might sound stupid?" and "I think this girl is stupid to stay with this guy so I think the cards are backing up my opinion" rather than my being able to see that the message is the exact opposite of what my personal opinion of the situation is and what I think she should do.