Deck Protection

huntd04

I was just curious as to what methods each of you use to protect your respective decks?

nisaba

I keep them away from fire and water. I lock the doors when I'm sleeping. That's all the protection they need. :)

agviz

I think my decks do more to protect me than I do to protect them.

I just try to be careful when shuffling. I don't let anyone shuffle my decks. I keep them in a no-smoking environment, keep food and drink away, keep them in moderate temperature and not too humid. I don't know if all that helps or not, is that what your asking?

Halcali

First make sure it is clean and dry.

Also a professional Tarot reader usually kept their deck in:
1. Original box
2. Wrap inside cloth
3. Wood Chest or Coffer

But I know some really OCD person kept it inside Dry Box with 40~50% humidity.

Disa

I keep them away from fire and water. I lock the doors when I'm sleeping. That's all the protection they need. :)

This.

But I also keep them away from critters and tiny hands who like to put things in their mouths. :)

gregory

I store them where the mice cannot chew them.

Sulis

I store the decks I read with in black velvet bags lined with coloured silk dupion that I make myself.. The decks I don't read with are under the bed in a plastic (non-airtight) box.

I don't find they need any more protection than that.

Zephyros

If I'm taking them somewhere and it's raining (like it is now) I put them in a plastic bag... does that count?

gregory

If I'm taking them somewhere and it's raining (like it is now) I put them in a plastic bag... does that count?
I would say so - but I suspect the original question refers more to Protection :) - in a MYSTICAL way. Which I don't do at all.

Grizabella

Yeah, I'm in the group with gregory and cloraspexa and nisaba. They're my tools of my trade, so to speak, so I take reasonable care of them. Reasonable means not letting the puppy chew on them or my great-grandson play with them (I gave him a deck with pretty cards but some missing, and he plays with those. He's 3 years old.) Other than that, though, I let others shuffle them if it's an in-person reading---I actually prefer them to handle the deck. And I keep them in whatever keeps them from blowing or falling all around. Right now I've a shortage of bags, so some of my bags house two decks, and my Connolly is in a tin with the Tower from the Hudes was in but the Hudes is now bunking in with the Wild Spirit. They're having a sleepover till I'm through using the Hudes tin to house the Connolly. My Touchstone is somewhere bunking in with another deck but I've forgotten which one because my Anna K needed to borrow the box.

I adore my cards. Don't get me wrong. But I'm not foo-foo about them. They're just cards and I take care of them like I take care of my beading tools and any other kind of tools.

However, this doesn't mean that I'm totally pragmatic about them. My decks are like food for my soul. It's kind of like they're on the thread that connects my spirit in the Universe and they're just kind of hanging there in between my heart and where I came from. But the cards themselves aren't needing any kind of special tending other than what I mentioned. They're just card stock, ink, and lamination. I think if I were to allow myself to fall into thinking I had to protect them and treat them as sacred objects. they wouldn't serve the purpose they're supposed to. They'd become the end all and be all---I'm not sure how to express it. But it would shift the focus onto them instead of allowing the communication between me and The Great Whatever Is Out There to flow freely using the cards as a tool of communication.

Anyhow, I just keep them from destructive things (which I don't believe includes bad spirits and evil energy from others touching them) and that's the care I take of them.