Deck Protection

gregory

Yes - fair point about some of that - if mine pick up a nasty smell from cooking or something I do put them in with my now famous lavender candles, for instance, and I do try to keep them away from live coffee !

Owl Tarot

Yeah, I'm in the group with gregory and cloraspexa and nisaba. They're my tools of my trade, so to speak, so I take reasonable care of them. Reasonable means not letting the puppy chew on them or my great-grandson play with them (I gave him a deck with pretty cards but some missing, and he plays with those. He's 3 years old.) Other than that, though, I let others shuffle them if it's an in-person reading---I actually prefer them to handle the deck. And I keep them in whatever keeps them from blowing or falling all around. Right now I've a shortage of bags, so some of my bags house two decks, and my Connolly is in a tin with the Tower from the Hudes was in but the Hudes is now bunking in with the Wild Spirit. They're having a sleepover till I'm through using the Hudes tin to house the Connolly. My Touchstone is somewhere bunking in with another deck but I've forgotten which one because my Anna K needed to borrow the box.

I adore my cards. Don't get me wrong. But I'm not foo-foo about them. They're just cards and I take care of them like I take care of my beading tools and any other kind of tools.

However, this doesn't mean that I'm totally pragmatic about them. My decks are like food for my soul. It's kind of like they're on the thread that connects my spirit in the Universe and they're just kind of hanging there in between my heart and where I came from. But the cards themselves aren't needing any kind of special tending other than what I mentioned. They're just card stock, ink, and lamination. I think if I were to allow myself to fall into thinking I had to protect them and treat them as sacred objects. they wouldn't serve the purpose they're supposed to. They'd become the end all and be all---I'm not sure how to express it. But it would shift the focus onto them instead of allowing the communication between me and The Great Whatever Is Out There to flow freely using the cards as a tool of communication.

Anyhow, I just keep them from destructive things (which I don't believe includes bad spirits and evil energy from others touching them) and that's the care I take of them.

I move along those lines as well, personally. Keep them in a manner in which no card is lost, no card is chewed, and generally protecting them from various hazards. In the same line however, just as Grizabella mentioned, they still remain a pack of cards, created by human beings, so I don't personally treat or worship them as "the Holy objects" while still loving them for what they are for me. I also like for my querents to shuffle or cut the deck when I'm doing face to face readings to give the querent a role in shaping the card draw and the reading thereoff essentially.

tarotbear

What are you afraid of?

- but I suspect the original question refers more to Protection :) - in a MYSTICAL way. Which I don't do at all.

Which raises the point in my mind about -'What? The boogieman gonna get your cards, or something?' Do evil spirits sit on the shelf next to the Tarot decks in 'Barnes & Noble' waiting to follow you home if you purchase one? Will Tarot cards act like a magnet, attracting strange things to your house?

I would say - if your house is protected, anything in that house is protected.

gregory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fe93CLbHjxQ

That fixed the problem in my case. Use the phone in the video. I'm also not associated with them, they merely are pretty effective not to mention here :)
No - I am quite happy with the ghosts; I wouldn't think of asking them to leave in ANY way; we get along just fine! But will they also protect my cards ? :D (I was kidding. I don't buy into my cards NEEDING protection, BTW.)

tarotbear

By what ? (We have ghosts. Does that count ?)

If you are of a Magickal persuasion there is the possibility that you have some sort of 'circle of protection' around your abode - an altar, quartz points in the windows, guardian stones in your yard, practice the LBRP or Rose Cross, etc., etc.

The concept that your tarot decks need some sort of specialized, possibly simple or possibly elaborate 'protection' makes me ask 'What are you protecting them against?' If you had to put every single one of the decks in your magnificent, extensive collection, gregory - into a bag made of spider silk (that's another thread) and then into a titanium box blessed by the Great Ooga-booga on the third Friday of the fifth month of the sixth cycle of Theomeo ... would you find that absolutely necessary? Just to protect them from dust?

How many ghosts do you have?

gregory

How many ghosts do you have?
Three that I have met - one is the spirit of a late cat of ours. I don't know if they are the exact same ones my SO has run across, and he is up a ladder just now. So maybe more.

I wish the spirit of gregory would show up - I'd give a lot to be CERTAIN that he is dead and OK out there in the celestial rabbit fields :(

And no - as you know, my decks are in drawers and shelves in a single room - and that only because there are too many to spread around the house and I'd never be able to find any of them !

Owl Tarot

No - I am quite happy with the ghosts; I wouldn't think of asking them to leave in ANY way; we get along just fine! But will they also protect my cards ? :D (I was kidding. I don't buy into my cards NEEDING protection, BTW.)

Since you love 'em being there, that sounds nice!

Keeping your cards in certain drawers and selves sounds good to keep them organized, healthy and with some Tarot company!

moon_light

My first deck is wrapped in a silk cloth and put in a wooden box with some crystals and a small satchel with herbs. It's kind of a pain taking it in and out, though. My second deck is in a silky pouch with a big rose quartz and more herbs. My third deck was just wrapped in a reading cloth (I had to put the deck aside whenever I needed the cloth), but yesterday Amazon delivered a pouch for that one, too. I'm going to have to go get it a crystal and herbs, though. I'm not really into crystals and herbs, but I like them and smelling the herbs puts me in a reading mood. So the way they are stored is mostly for me, not the decks.