The Wild Unknown Tarot

Pixna

I really love the new seven of cups, but the other changes are not really an improvement... Nor are they worse... They're just different.

Many people already gave their opinion on the new deck in this thread, in case you're interested :)

Thank you, Marirowana! I'll post my feedback there as well, as it seems to be a more appropriate thread for it. I had't seen that thread, so thank you again for pointing it out to me!

Calcifer

Well now... it has been awhile since anyone has posted here; and since the WU has been on my mind a little more than usual lately, it seemed appropriate to put something here. A short, semi-rant - about things WU.
This thread by GrailSidhe, started back in October of 2012 opened me up to a view of tarot that strangely wasn't Rider-Waite (my tried, true, best friend since childhood). Having tried a few other decks, I'd pretty much decided to stick with my old standby and be thankful for it... and then along comes this dark horse. I immediately ordered two of these. For the first time in over 40 years, I opened up to something new - gasp ! I started looking at tarot in an unusually opened minded way - and for me, that is a first (calcified Old Fart here).

With all the talk about this deck; aside from the deck itself, and by that I mean their other products, less than wholesome marketing strategies, and the sad fact that they're geared toward the worst trendy pseudo-hippies imaginable - it is still a damn fine piece of work. I truly believe that the artist had an epiphany when she got motivated and created this deck. I'll never leave it behind, no matter how nauseating the hype gets.
I suppose that for me the first inkling I got as to what was to come from the retail aspect was when I placed my second order. Yep, I own 4 of these. This first post by GrailS was in Oct.'12 (as I said), I got my first two decks as soon as they shipped in November and couldn't have been happier. The cardstock alone, and I know nothing about cardstock terminology, was amazing. The decks were great big bricks - seemingly made out of a strange mixture of butter and a silky clay. I'd never felt anything quite like it, and it added to my already great love of this deck.
In January of 2015, the website ran a sale - and be damned if I didn't order two more decks (for either back-up, or gifts for friends). This is when Eu'd'rat began to waft into the picture. The cardstock was gone. The new decks were "cards"... cardboardy, just like many other decks I'd had pass through my hands - nor were they the bulky "brick" I'd come to love. I wrote to the company and was curtly told that I was wrong and there were "no changes". Sooo... not only did I take pictures of the varying heights of the decks, but I actually SENT them one of my 1st runs for comparison purposes (with strict instructions to return the very same deck I sent). Without comment, they dutifully returned my "original deck" and refunded my money for the two new ones I'd just acquired. No comment or explanation. My posts on their facebook page went missing immediately after posting - as did the photos depicting the differences between "first" runs and the "new" runs.
This is modern marketing at it's finest. I really don't think the artist, Kim K, had a whole lot to do with this. I suspect that she simply delegated the running of the business to someone else (without a soul) and went about her life. Now look at their stuff. $30 "Ritual Bags" that are reminiscent of the free bag that came with the trainwreck of the Illuminati... incense sticks at almost a buck per pop, and tea that the Queen Mother herself might balk at.
It seems to me I remember her website where she and her Mom made all kinds of things... boxes with prisms and other non-trendy cool stuff. Sigh.
If you can't tell, I fished out my cherished 1st WU deck last night. I had retired it to try to come to grips with the new cardstock and almost succeeded... this morning I just had to get this off my chest. Grrr. I guess I'm kinda mad at myself for letting it wind me up... It IS just a deck of cards - but I'm feeling betrayed... it was so, so special in the original form.
Ok, I'm done. Unless I think of something else ;-P...
Michael

bonebeach

I really can't be upset at a artist for succeeding financially. And in today's world, you need branding. TWU is meticulously, ingeniously branded. And I'm glad.

I have the first edition WU. I didn't want to love it because it was clearly going to be hip, but I loved it anyway. I've handled the second edition because I bought it for a friend and yeah, it's thinner, but the stock is still amazing. The Animal Spirit Oracle appears to be the same stock. Shuffles nicely. Would I ever buy one of those bags? Heck no. Any of their branded accessories? If I was obscenely well off I would buy an overpriced t shirt. As my life currently stands: noooo.

I'm seeing a lot of this backlash on social media and stuff...here's my unsolicited opinion.

It's like being upset that your favorite indie band made it big, signed on with some huge record company, and so they don't do small shows like they used to and their t shirts cost more and tickets to their show aren't nearly as affordable as they used to be and there's all these new fans you don't think are legit. It's okay to mourn an era, but you can also be happy that an artist you love is getting paid to do even more of their art, so that their work can continue. You can even compliment yourself on your visionary good taste, for recognizing early on that something was so good it would have mass appeal. ;)

I would love to see Kim build an empire on TWU aesthetic. I don't think she was/is completely divorced from the marketing as you think, either. Whether we like it or not, tarot IS also a business, ART is a business, and it's good for a field to have superstars in it.

Calcifer

Oh, I agree with you bonebeach...really.
My gripe is the way it was handled...told that there was no change (and that happened within the 1st edition..some months after it came out), and not even acknowledging it. Deleting any and all references, no matter how nicely put - kinda like my cat covering up something vile, and then ceasing to reply to anyone asking "what happened ?".
I hope she makes a ton of money from her work - it is beautiful, insightful, and very inspired... but that doesn't negate the concept of integrity, fair play, and open communication. The WU people Could have just said, "our original card stock was insanely costly, so in order to stay in production we had to make changes", or, "Damn..we thought no one would notice !", or "the factory where they were cranked out shut down for some reason or other". Just don't tell me it didn't happen....
If you didn't get your deck as soon as they came out, there is a very good chance you never even got to see the original product - I don't know just when they did it - but it was very early on.
Yep, "trendy" turns my stomach - but I still recognize this deck as being pretty much a masterpiece...
Michael

DaughterOfDanu

If you didn't get your deck as soon as they came out, there is a very good chance you never even got to see the original product - I don't know just when they did it - but it was very early on.

Michael

I'm almost positive I have the original cardstock on my first edition and it was purchased in May 2015, a few months before the first edition went out of stock. I thought the second edition was when the change in cardstock occured.

I don't actually mind the new cardstock- I've handled it both on the second edition that I gave a friend and the oracle deck from Kim that I own. It's not as silky but it has it's own charm. I like the sound of the shuffling whereas I find the first edition cardstock to be almost silent.

I'm also someone who refused to buy into the trendiness of the deck but once I caved, I fell in love with it's depth. It's a very special deck to me. I'm glad I own a first edition and have a preorder in for the mass market edition. I'm curious to see what the cardstock will be like on the mass market

Calcifer

I doubt you got the original card stock... it was as unique as the deck itself. I suspect they changed it months after it went into production. From the best i can tell, there probably weren't a whole lot of "the butter-bricks' released.
But, again, I agree, I'd love the deck anyway - it is the slippery way it was foisted off that got my knickers in a twist. I'd buy the thing even if it had deplorable card stock...but I'm thanking my lucky stars I got two decks before the bean counters got too involved. I've never even seen the 2nd edition.
M

DaughterOfDanu

I doubt you got the original card stock... it was as unique as the deck itself. I suspect they changed it months after it went into production. From the best i can tell, there probably weren't a whole lot of "the butter-bricks' released.

I'm not so sure. My first edition has that buttery clay feel to it and a considerable thickness to the second edition. Unless the replacement was that similar I've never had a deck with that same feel.

Anyway I'm glad that you were able to continue working with the deck despite the issue with the company. I know I've had my feelings towards brands/items purchased changed by iffy customer service, it's not an easy thing to overcome.

Calcifer

I got my second round of the 1st edition in January of 2015 (if you scroll through this ungodly long thread, you'll find the history of this story), and it was pretty well covered then. I think this is when "China" started appearing on the outside of the boxes.
Basically, if you remove about 10 cards from the early release, you'll have the thickness of the later model... and the feel was nothing like it was originally.
My newer 1st editions DO have a very nice stock - so i'm not saying that there is/was anything wrong with it - it just wasn't as luxurious as it began.
Michael

bonebeach

Oh, I agree with you bonebeach...really.
My gripe is the way it was handled...told that there was no change (and that happened within the 1st edition..some months after it came out), and not even acknowledging it. Deleting any and all references, no matter how nicely put - kinda like my cat covering up something vile, and then ceasing to reply to anyone asking "what happened ?"

Oh, yes, that's very true and I'm sorry I glossed over that. And I think it would have been fairly straightforward for them to lay the blame somewhere up/down the supply chain, saying the manufacturer did something...or claim that they WANTED a more flexible product...outright denying any change at all is a less than ideal way to handle it. And you know that *they* know you're lying since you sent them your original for comparison...hah. Good job forcing the refund, by the way!

I know that there was a cardstock change between editions and also within the first edition, but I'm pretty sure I have the original stock. There was a detailed breakdown somewhere comparing the two, down to the boxes they came in and whether or not the black ribbon was matte or shiny on both sides...I forget which was which. I love your silk brick description, and it feels very accurate to the deck I have. I forget exactly when I bought it, but it was early on. If I do have the first stock, I agree that it's quite unlike anything else, and truly a pleasure to work with. It took me a while to break it in, but to this day it's one of my favorite decks to shuffle just for the joy of shuffling.

Calcifer

Yep, this is an old subject...it is just hard to get at because this thread just might be one of the longest running ones on AT.
My tirade was triggered by the fact that after discussing the bags on another thread, I pulled out my older copy for the first time last night in a long while and the difference was brought right home to me. If I'm recalling correctly, if the box has a "made in China" sticker on it - you've got Round #2. Still a spectacular deck... but....lol. I'd like to know what the pro's actually call the cardstock on the early ones...or if it even has a name.
Oh, for the record, I never asked for a refund, or anything else, just a short explanation - I discovered it when the money mysteriously reappeared in my checking account without preamble. If it was "hush money", they could have at least told me That...lol.
Michael