Dare to be different? Who else doesn't like the Victorian Romantic...

vee

I'm actually the opposite. I had hype aversion to the VR--didn't have any interest in it because it was SO popular and omg I'm such a ~* special snowflake*~. I just got it last week and it's already probably in my top 5 decks of all time. :laugh: So there goes that.

The deck that I dislike intensely and feel alone in is the Legacy of the Divine. I know there are others who share that, but it does seem like the VR in its popularity. Maybe it has something to do with the active online presence of the creators and their commitment to customer service and quality? When we feel like we *know* an artist, their work takes on an even more personal feeling.

Wendywu

I've got that one too - the Legacy of the Divine. I feel awful but again - not my cuppa... and yet I admire Ciro's integrity as an artist, his immense commitment to what he does and how very well he does it.

I used to be the kind of customer shop keepers dream of. I bought so very many decks and just didn't like them enough to want to keep them. So I bought more.

Now I finally have it sussed out. I like mainly TdM's with just a very few RWS type decks. And now that I do know what I like I can concentrate on those and not bother with the others.

Carla

Legacy of the Divine was one of my first decks, and the first one I traded. :)

Grizabella

I'm just going to be honest here. The desirability of a lot of decks depends in large part on the huge silly prices people tack onto them when they're out of print. Like the Emperor's New Clothes. Remember that fairy tale? Just because they're priced at a high price, people go nuts thinking they're something awesomely desirable.

I can't read with any of the MRP decks but the Victorian Romantic. That one came to me just at a time when my reading "muscle" was developed to the right spot where it really was an easy deck for me to read with. However, I don't like the size of the MRP decks at all and I definitely don't like the card stock on the Victorian Romantic because with a lot of use, it becomes limp and floppy and it's like trying to shuffle a stack of fabric. I'm told it's the same card stock that's always used in their decks, but none of the other ones I had got limp like that----only the VR and I have two of those. Both became limp.

Other decks that command big prices are Buckland Romani, Waking the Wild Spirit, and Ancestral Path When in print, none of these decks went over very well so they went out of print. Once out of print, though, the prices went up and everyone wants one now.

About the Buckland and Waking the Wild Spirit, though, I do have to say they're two of my most beloved decks. The Wild Spirit is uncanny in some of the ways it's spoken to me personally, so I use that one just for myself. And the Buckland is one of my main reading decks. I wasn't in the majority with using those two, though, when they were still in print. People would buy them and then put them up for trade shortly because they couldn't connect with them.

Like others have said, it's all a matter of taste. I think it's wise when considering whether or not you want a deck to ask yourself whether you want it because it's actually something you can read with and that clicks with you or whether you're just being hyped by whatever is the current rage with a big price.

Nobody is going to get rich from owning decks like MRP decks and others that sell for such high prices right now. The truly valuable ones are the really old ones or the handmade ones or the ones that there are only a handful of copies of still around. MRP and the other current decks were made in such numbers and so many people have them that they'll never in our lifetime----or probably any lifetime the next few hundred years---make anyone rich. The people who will profit measurably from them are the creators of the decks and those who can grab one hot off the press, so to speak and stick on eBay with an inflated price. Now the re-sellers will buy so many at once to re-sell, that a limited run of the new decks won't allow for everyone who wants one just for personal use to have one so I really don't pay any attention to what's out next anymore. Well, where MRP goes anyway.

Hmmmm, I didn't sleep very much last night. Maybe I'm just grumpy natured today.

My sincere advice is to be patient. Don't just climb on the bandwagon and spend your money for the hottest rage in new decks. Wait till you can see it for yourself (and preferably till you can actually have it in your hands to play with a little bit) before you put out your hard-earned money to have one of whatever it is.

Back to the Victorian Romantic. I thought it was silly when it first came out. I got one in a trade thinking it would be a good trade fodder for something else. When I got it in my hands, though, I was at just the right place in my Tarot studies that it triggered me in the right way so that I could read with it very well and I used it almost exclusively for a very long time. I don't think it was the deck that made it work well for me, I think it was more just where I was at the time in my Tarot journey.

Barleywine

Count me out, too. I've been looking at it for a long time now (at least from a distance) and don't think it's for me. When I buy a collage deck it will be Tarot of the Holy Light. But I think I would also buy Tarot of the Master (which was actually created at the end of the 19th century, with fin-de-siecle elegance) before the VR.

Annabelle

The 1st edition VR was a disappointment to me, personally. Just fell flat; I soon put it away and have not had an urge to use it lately.

I'm buying a copy of the upcoming new edition because a) I'm a collector, b) I am easily excited by hype, and c) I cannot help but hope that I'll like the re-worked version better.

strings of life

Maybe it's more about being sucked in by whatever the current hyped deck is?
My sentiments exactly. It has nothing to do with the Victorian Romantic or MRP.

We all like different decks. My favorite could be your worst nightmare. The decks we chose to like are a very personal experience. To each his own.

gregory

The thing is, there is absolutely no deck that every last person likes. Every deck has its detractors and most have admirers. Deviant Moon for example, I find that deck unreadable but I cannot help but bow to its many admirers who say, quite honestly I am sure, that it is the best reading deck ever.

Loads of people like the VR, so I am unsurprised that there are readers who don't bond with it at all.
I don't read with it; I never have. But that isn't the only reason people buy decks
I'm just going to be honest here. The desirability of a lot of decks depends in large part on the huge silly prices people tack onto them when they're out of print. Like the Emperor's New Clothes. Remember that fairy tale? Just because they're priced at a high price, people go nuts thinking they're something awesomely desirable.
I don't buy them for THAT reason either.
I can't read with any of the MRP decks but the Victorian Romantic.
The one that DOES work for me is the Baroque Bohemian Cats.
However, I don't like the size of the MRP decks at all and I definitely don't like the card stock on the Victorian Romantic because with a lot of use, it becomes limp and floppy and it's like trying to shuffle a stack of fabric. I'm told it's the same card stock that's always used in their decks, but none of the other ones I had got limp like that----only the VR and I have two of those. Both became limp.
Here we do differ. I've had NO issues with their card stock (or size - but that is only a matter of taste.)
Like others have said, it's all a matter of taste. I think it's wise when considering whether or not you want a deck to ask yourself whether you want it because it's actually something you can read with and that clicks with you or whether you're just being hyped by whatever is the current rage with a big price.
Or whether you want it for another reason entirely. It isn't a sin to buy decks just to look at. :D
Nobody is going to get rich from owning decks like MRP decks and others that sell for such high prices right now.
So ??? Most people who buy them are NOT buying them to get rich.
My sincere advice is to be patient. Don't just climb on the bandwagon and spend your money for the hottest rage in new decks. Wait till you can see it for yourself (and preferably till you can actually have it in your hands to play with a little bit) before you put out your hard-earned money to have one of whatever it is.
Easier said than done; unless you know someone who - wait - climbed on the bandwagon and bought it :laugh:
I'm buying a copy of the upcoming new edition because a) I'm a collector, b) I am easily excited by hype, and c) I cannot help but hope that I'll like the re-worked version better.
I'm buying one because a). And doing it NOW rather than later simply to save money !

Carla

Interesting comments from all. Again I'd like to say, I'm not trying to create a backlash against VR or MRP. Just looking for others of like mind. Sometimes when you get so immersed in something, like we do our tarot decks, you lose sight of yourself. It's a strange thing.

Le Fanu

Maybe it's more about being sucked in by whatever the current hyped deck is?
But the Victorian Romantic has been loved by many (of course, not all) since 2006. That's 6 years. I'm not sure that's "current hype". I'm trying to think of what else was published in 2006 and still has many (again, not all) people captivated. I'm biased. It has given me great readings for 6 years. I sense some frustration - not in the original post - with trying to snag a copy of the current reprint, but they're a business. If there's a stampede and they all sell out and they have none left to clutter up the storeroom that's great news for them!