Your experiences when you had a professional tarot/psychic reading

PeonyInLove

The professional I went to while I was in college was a very sketchy lady who had me all wrong. She also only talked about romance, which annoyed me. I was not impressed.

When I first set out to more seriously study tarot, my friend's girlfriend and I did a reading exchange.

To date, it is one of my most treasured reading experiences. I paid her $15 because I told her she was amazing! I don't think she believed me :p

Since then, which was about two years ago, I have had one more reading that I paid for. It was good, but very...vague. Something about it just didn't hit any "marks" for me. Thus, my best reading done in-person for cash was from an amateur :)

I think it's really hard to find a genuine professional reader. It's great that such a novice gave you such a good reading as just imagine when she is at it for awhile longer, she'll be fantastic.

Thank u for your story x

PeonyInLove

Have to say my best readings have been done by readers with no tools or no real need for them. No frauds, failures or poor readings and the cost ranged from $40 to $250.

And... also me. I like my readings too. :)

If I knew where no mans land was I'd come for you for a reading lol

PeonyInLove

It's funny, I read professionally but I've never really been to a good professional reader.

The closest was one time I was at the beach with an ex of mine and they got a reading from one of those $5 psychic booths, they were told that they would meet someone with J as an initial, and to be careful because he was no good. At the time I was like yeah, right... we were really serious and I couldn't see a future where we weren't together.

Guess what? They left me for someone with J for an initial. And they were really bad news and really terrible to my ex for years and years.

I went to a psychic one time in Hawaii, I saw a sign outside of a smoke shop, this woman who owned the shop was reading tarot cards on the side. She gave me a terrible reading, nothing she said had anything to do with me. She used a couple of different decks and also an animal spirit oracle. She was so, so sincere. Not trying to swindle me at all, just got a bad read and interpreted everything incorrectly. I actually felt really bad for her.

I've had wonderful readings from friends and colleagues. I had a reading from a friend once right before a big move who went out of her way to warn me against it based on the reading, when she knew my mind was already made up. Her reading was right on... the move was the worst decision I've ever made in my life. The cards were eerily accurate down to the pictures.

I'm not sure if I'm just going to the wrong pro readers or what. Maybe it's because I am surrounded by folks who read so when I do pay for a reading it's on a lark and I'm not inclined to take it seriously.

Oh my gosh that reminded me of back in 2012 I went on a family holiday to usa & Hawaii... On the last couple days of the holiday in Hawaii we found this little psychic booth thingi right in the middle of the markets in Waikiki. We all went there seperate so he wouldn't know we were related and try and fool us. Well, didn't matter anyways as that reading was the biggest bogus reading I have ever received. He was this largish man who I thought looked really sick and gave me a 6 month forecast which none of it came true lol Although he was actually quite on point with my brother and sisters reading.

PeonyInLove

Also a quick question... The 2 psychics I seen last year asked for my birthdate when I rang and booked an appointment with them, do you think that is standard practice? It didn't happen with my first two readings. It made me a bit sceptical as I kept thinking how easy it could be with my birthdate to go online and read numerous yearly astrology forecasts and whatnot and then that could help fill up the reading a bit...

DownUnderNZer

I'm really against birth dates been asked and am not into Numerology or Astrology.

The best I've seen never needed that info and I don't either.

Seen someone asking for birth dates with the Lenormand once which bothered me no end as it's not necessary. And don't believe a reader when they say they need your birth date to focus on you. I don't believe that to be true at all. Comes down to numbers and star sign traits.

Also a quick question... The 2 psychics I seen last year asked for my birthdate when I rang and booked an appointment with them, do you think that is standard practice? It didn't happen with my first two readings. It made me a bit sceptical as I kept thinking how easy it could be with my birthdate to go online and read numerous yearly astrology forecasts and whatnot and then that could help fill up the reading a bit...

DownUnderNZer

Another good one I saw was in Canbera years ago.

No birth dates, but needed a watch or jewelry...photos.

She went right back to the womb with me!

And she told me I would live abroad again (didn't agree or believe her) and she gave me two names to remember Kevin and Michael...not known to me yet.

Strange as at school I recalled boys with names like that and even on my travels.

I think about 3 years after that was when I moved to Japan and in my new work place I met a Kevin and a Mike (full name Michael), but it wasn't until I replayed her tape that it all clicked into place.

I didn't have photos, but she was the real deal too and at that time cost around $150.00.

Well worth it...especially as she was right about the womb information as I called my mother to tell her what she revealed. My mum was quiet at first but confirmed what I was told was true.

I like readers like that - don't really need anything. :)

Tanga

...Given how disrespectful humans are of their environment, putting on shoes whenever you leave the house in urban environments is only safety-first. I'd never dream of leaving the house barefoot. And in rural Australia (I don't know about your country) you occasionally find poisonous snakes, so shoes are a good idea, too. That's just common sense, not a brilliant prediction.

As a reader my criterion is this: Is my reading USEFUL in their life? I don't care whether I impress them at all or not. I'm much more concerned with whether I give them useful information on which they can make practical decisions in their lives.

Lol again nisaba - for the practicality.
Re: "Is my reading USEFUL" - I agree.

Looks like other people here have had much better experiences than I have.
...Then she said to me, "Do you have any other questions?"
Huh? She hadn't even answered the first question! I just said No.

At the time, I didn't know how to handle it. Not knowing anything about tarot, I assumed that that was what a tarot card reading actually WAS. Just a few cryptic words, and no more. The Great Oracle Has Spoken. Now Be Off.

$40 paid to a person who told me absolutely nothing. How do people get away with this? I guess they get away with it because some people don't know any better, people like me, a long time ago. :mad:

<clicks her tongue> How shameful.
Ofcourse people get away with this - other people don't know any better, and we have no format or policing system for our art.

It's not standard - but lots of people do ask for it. If they're into Astrology and/or numerology. (I don't think it necessarily means they plan to go away and 'cheat' on the reading, though ofcourse, they might).

I have no objections if people ask for this. It all depends on the readers 'personal format'.
After all - imo the "perfect psychic" - wouldn't need any tools at all to give you a reading
(and even so - s/he may still use them anyway).
And... d'you know when I first realised this? - funnily enough, when I watched that movie "The Gift" where the psychic lady (the main character of the story) uses Zener Cards for her readings. This deck consists of 5 simple symbols on each card: star, cross, square, circle and wavy lines. I think there are 5 sets of these 5 symbols in the deck - so 25 cards in all.
Conventionally, parapsychologists used this deck to test psychic ability in a lab setting.

Michael Sternbach

I have done lots of accurate psychic readings with varying background information, but most of the time knowing the name, location and age of the client (when I was collaborating with a psychiatrist). I have also done readings without any of that information meanwhile, other than a (forum) name. I always did at least the first reading before meeting them for the first time. I never tried predicting someone's future that way, I only explore their psychological and physical condition and important present or past events and circumstances in their life.

However, when I can, I love to combine various sources of information (psychic, astrological, Tarot) as it enables me to look at the querent from various perspectives that supplement each other. It's a matter of how a practitioner is working. Even Mary Greer is usually beginning her longer readings with the querent's soul and personality cards that are calculated from their birth date.

tarotbear

That's what I noticed about a lady I seen, she used the cards but hardly looked at them, it felt like she was saying things that just came to her instead of what the cards were suggesting?

and Oh WOW about your experience... Love it when I hear a good successful reading as opposed to a crappy one.

Thank you for that story x

Not every reader has to stare at and contemplate every little nuance of the artwork in a card to 'pull' the information out; sometimes the image is only a 'springboard' and their senses pull all the stuff out of their mind, not out of analyzing the card images.

As a side note: My first partner's sister used to use ALL 78 CARDS to do every reading - tossing them out in rows on top of each other - there was no way she was reading the details of every single card - she was reading the energy flow from the order the cards were in ... I think!

I don't like the idea, either - I enjoy numerology, myself, but birthdates and stuff are 'filler' for the reader to use , and the 3 cards you chose say 'this'; whether you are a Scorpio, or your life number is '3' - just tell me what the cards say, Dr. Fraud ....

celticnoodle

Yes I've heard of people having a block up. One of my friends has gone to a few readings where 90% of the time they can't really pick up on anything from her. The weird thing is that the the things they had picked up on her were mostly always her sister coming through instead of her. So she is always on the lookout for a good psychic as she can't get a good reading and it seems she's paying for her sister to get all the free readings lol
A married couple, who are friends of ours often ask me to read them. Now, the hubby is actually a psychic-medium, but not developed his abilities really and rather prefers NOT to see the spirits. :laugh: however, he LOVES to get readings from me. I can read and predict things way in advance for him, which tickles him, but his wife, who is one of my best friends--I cannot read worth a damn. She has a block that I rarely can break through--which bugs her to death too! she so badly wants a reading from me--but I have such a hard time w/her. However, once in a great while I will be able to tell her something predictive that comes to be. It generally is more for her husband though-or her kids or mother.

Now, she & I often go to a psychic together that is fantastic! This psychic also tells my friend she is a tough one to read--but she can generally give her some information and brings through a few spirits known to her. When she reads me--she goes overboard. My friends reading is generally 20 to 30 minutes, and we generally only buy a 30 min. reading. (she offers a 30 min or 60 min reading). I will buy a 30 min. reading and this woman will read and read and read on for me sometimes for an hour and a half! I do end up paying for the 60 minute reading - though the psychic tells me no need. But, she is so good and unfortunately for her, when I do book a reading with her, my deceased loved ones begin to visit her the day before my reading. :laugh: Its not unusual for my reading to have at least 3-5 spirits attached to me to come through. :D It bugs my friends when we go for readings, because I get such a long accurate read each time. Generally, when we go, we take a car full of friends-2 to 4 of us. I always go last, because I wear the poor reader out. :laugh:

I also will often get readings that I cannot identify with--but when this happens, I can generally call my sister or my daughter and it turns out it is THEIR reading. This does happen often enough for me. For instance, my sister had a tarot reading party at her house and the reader kept telling me that my husband was going to divorce me for another woman--(which I didn't believe and thought ludicrous). She kept telling me I also had 2 kids who would have a hard time dealing with this--and I continued to tell her I only have one--but she was adamant. (like I wouldn't know how many kids I had??) Well, after the reading was done, my sister pulled me aside and told me that her husband was leaving her for another woman. My sister had not told anyone in the family yet--because she was hoping that he and she could work things out. They had 2 children and the kids were affected very badly by his leaving. My sis & I often laugh about this happening. It also happens a lot with my daughter too, that my readings are really for her.

I'm told its because we have such a strong connection to each other, which I think is also true, as I often will feel when either one of these two family members are ill or upset. They can generally feel my emotions too.

TB, what a great experience!

I have had people ask for my birthdate, which I don't really like. However, some of them who ask this still also come up with information for me that is in no way related to my birthdate. Like names of people in my life--and what they are like/doing, etc. I much prefer not to be asked that however.

When I do psychic readings or psychic medium readings, I tell my customers over and over and over again--give me your FIRST NAME ONLY!!! and for a medium reading, I ask for a picture of the spirit and a FIRST NAME ONLY! I really hate it when they say, "oh, this is my grandma Mary Smith, whom we lived with and she died when I was 10yrs old of a massive heart attack" all in one quick breath. :rolleyes: What the hello do they expect ME to tell them after all that?!

I had one woman overhear in the beauty salon my hairdresser talking about the reading I gave her on a deceased loved one and the woman asked me to read for her--began to tell me all about WHO she wanted to hear from and I told her, "NO! STOP!" and told her my 'rule'. However, she got offended then, and a bit angry with me and told me she wasn't interested then in getting a reading from me. *shrugs* I didn't yell at her, but told her in a firm voice. If she can't understand that--then I guess its probably better I didn't read for her.