I was so dissapointed with this deck- was anyone else?

Grigori

Ambience said:
I like more fluffy airy fairy decks.

I think the Thoth is the antithesis of fluffy airy fairy. Shame you don't relate to it, I consider the artwork alone stunning, but if it doesn't work for you, it doesn't work for you. The Liber T artwork is more fluid if that appeals, but it's not anymore fluffy, its just as much and probably more intellectual.

I'd hang on to it, I think its good for everyone to have a TdM, RWS and Thoth, even if they don't use any of them. Good for comparative and historical study if not for use.

Ambience

Grigori said:
I think the Thoth is the antithesis of fluffy airy fairy. Shame you don't relate to it, I consider the artwork alone stunning, but if it doesn't work for you, it doesn't work for you. The Liber T artwork is more fluid if that appeals, but it's not anymore fluffy, its just as much and probably more intellectual.

I'd hang on to it, I think its good for everyone to have a TdM, RWS and Thoth, even if they don't use any of them. Good for comparative and historical study if not for use.

Thanks i will do- i came back to kat blacks golden tarot the other day and saw in it some interest - initially i'd disgarded it as being a horrible deck- too dark for me.

TeaBiscuts

Well I was struggling with the PCS I tried and gave it a real good go of it, My first deck was the Tarot of Vampyres which I later found out it is based on Thoth, the I felt cause I was new I should get the RWS deck, well that didn't speak well with me all it reminded me of was my dark abusive relationship that I've divorced from for 15 yrs, so then I felt I should just go get the Thoth you don't know till it's in your hands, I opened it up looked at the cards and bam it hit home in a wonderful nice way. I am more of a thinker than a feeler so this is gr8 I finally understood the mars connect to Aries and then ...... water and earth, fire and air after reading the instruction book. Brightcrazystar was doing very well trying to explain it, it made sense but I couldn't see it the RWS deck however I see it in the Thoth loud and clear.

jcwirish

Thoth doesn't do a thing for me either. I found it cold, angular and creepy. It gave me the willies!

It's just a matter of perception and taste I think. I know people who truly love the Thoth, and I have at times thought I should love it too, but I have never been able to connect with it.

I too am a very emotional, intuitive person. I don't want to have to research complex systems and philosophies to use a deck. Although, I find it fascinating how particular decks trigger different aspects of our intellect, imagination and memory in order to elicit an emotional reaction from us as readers.

Always Wondering

With Cancer as my rising sign, one who has experienced most of my life in the mode of emotion as well as intuition, I would not agree that this deck is not for "feelers". In fact, the Thoth spoke directly to my intuition and I did not apply a whole lot of thought to its system for the first few years that I used it.

I would argue that the Thoth is speaking to your intuition as well, as you have had some reactions to it. It drew itself to you and now you are dissapointed, but will hold onto it. It may grow on you. First impressions aren't everything.

I have interacted with several "thinkers" in this Thoth forum that I would describe as highly intuitive and rather compassionate. I occasionally read the Your Readings forum and have seen a few "intuitive" readers that do well with the Thoth. I just don't think it is one or the other. That is way too divisive for a deck that I have found so integrating. The Thoth has encouraged me into a thinking mode that dovetails perfectly with my intuition.

AW

Ambience

I got it out again last night. Some of the cards are wonderfully artist and deep, others make me feel uncomfortable and i don't think they have much depth to them at all. The orange colour scheme i don't like on some cards. Also the cards are big and uncomfortable to hold. I like my decks to be comforting to me and nurturing. I prefer more natural decks, i don't find the Thoth natural.

Grigori

Ambience said:
....others make me feel uncomfortable ... i don't find the Thoth natural.

For me this is one of the strengths of the Thoth. It is flexing the boundaries of where you're comfortable and changing you. It's not supposed to be natural, it's supposed to be super-natural :)

Richard

Ambience said:
I got it out again last night. Some of the cards are wonderfully artist and deep, others make me feel uncomfortable and i don't think they have much depth to them at all. The orange colour scheme i don't like on some cards. Also the cards are big and uncomfortable to hold. I like my decks to be comforting to me and nurturing. I prefer more natural decks, i don't find the Thoth natural.
I know what you mean, as I am also fairly new to the Thoth. Certain cards are certainly uncomfortable, even in the Rider-Waite, but they reflect reality. If you would rather not be reminded of the unpleasant things in life, then reality-oriented esoteric decks may not be your cup of tea. Regarding the size of the cards, I have the pocket edition, and it is very easy to manipulate.

Ambience

Thanks I'll buy the pocket version just to give this one a chance !! Supernatural- hmm yes i get abit freaked out by the supernatural sometimes hehe.. xx

gregory

Grigori said:
For me this is one of the strengths of the Thoth. It is flexing the boundaries of where you're comfortable and changing you. It's not supposed to be natural, it's supposed to be super-natural :)
YES !

And also - it is possible to read "intuitively" with it. I do !

Please grigori, don't hit me. I am also studying it.... ;) And it's the only deck I have EVER used that immediately informed me someone was schizophrenic - not that I approve of medical diagnoses by a card - but when I asked the sitter if the guy she was seeing had any mental health problems that was what she immediately said of him, anyway, so.... Scary... But - as you say - it deals with the uncomfortable !