I was so dissapointed with this deck- was anyone else?

Ambience

I don't see in it what everyone else sees? I am frustrated by this as i expected it to be a masterpiece. It didn't touch me like other decks have done- i hate the artwork on the back and although the cards are okay- they feel weak to me in alot of respects.

Any other views?

cronegoddess54

What deck are you speaking of? Maybe I am missing it.....?

brightcrazystar

How long have you had it? How long have you been in direct contact with Tarot? This is not a cosmetic deck. It is a visual depiction of every aspect of life under the microscope, and methodically disssected. Everything MEANS something and almost ALL of it is intentional. It is brutally honest and a pure conduit, in the right hands under the right context... when seen with understanding. The Creators were some of the most astute and nonconventionally carnal occultists of their time - the deck reflects that explicitly.

What publication of the deck do you have?

As for the back, the artwork is part of the Magickal Tradition of the Creators. It is the synthesis of Qabalistic, Geometric, and many other systems. The main overlay is the Rose Cross in the Second Order of the Golden Dawn Tradition. It is a Rosicrucian symbol showing all the Elements, Planets, Signs of the Zodiac, and colors of visible light. Furthermore, it displays reversals so you can correct the cards for readings if you don't read reversals.

Amanda

I just got mine today, and am liking it a lot. Not real sure of it's depth yet on a logical level, but it seems to be spiking my spidey-senses already... like smacking me in the face with blunt insight.

GryffinSong

I had the Thoth and the Liber-T many years ago. I tried and tried and simply never clicked with either one of them. It comes down to personal taste, personal experiences, and more. There is no such thing as a perfect deck for everyone, and the Thoth doesn't do a thing for me either. But more power to those who love it. It's our differences that keep things interesting. :)

And for what it's worth, there are seemingly TONS of popular decks out there that I have NO interest in. And lots of my favs are dis'ed by others. It's just a part of being human I think.

Ambience

The thoth tarot. It's just too hard for me :) I like more fluffy airy fairy decks. It makes me think logic more than intuition. I've had about 8 -9 years experience practicing tarot. I liked them in the pictures, but in hand they just don't feel right.

Abrac

The Thoth is more of a thinking person's deck. It can be used intuitively but if you go that route there are a lot of other decks more suitable. The Thoth is a visual representation of a complex occult philosophy. If you don't understand the philosophy, the pictures won't mean much. I do love the artwork though. I've never seen anything else quite like it.

Ambience

Abrac said:
The Thoth is more of a thinking person's deck. It can be used intuitively but if you go that route there are a lot of other decks more suitable. The Thoth is a visual representation of a complex occult philosophy. If you don't understand the philosophy, the pictures won't mean much. I do love the artwork though. I've never seen anything else quite like it.

That will explain it then- I'm useless with anything that isn't fluid and nature- no man made architecture and shapes for me. I'm definately not a thinking- logic person- I'm pure emotion, random, intuative and chaos :)

GryffinSong

Abrac said:
The Thoth is more of a thinking person's deck...

Thanks, that's helpful. I definately prefer to read intuitively.

Dancing Bear

I also have never clicked with this deck as a reading deck.
But i have enjoyed studying it.. and probably will continue to study it for a long time.
I have many books to go with it and the green deck and love to study it.
But as a reading deck it doesnt do too much for me..

I am a thinker, but not when i read I am more spontanious.
So as a study deck absolutely brilliant.