I was so dissapointed with this deck- was anyone else?

Grigori

gregory said:
Please grigori, don't hit me. I am also studying it.... ;)

No hitting, Thoth studiers get only hugs and kisses. Or smacks if they prefer that, whatever they Will ;)

archer1

general info ..

For those of us who read the Thoth deck and have been studying the deck for sometime.... this is not for you... the colors used on the cards are there for several reasons one is their correspondence to the zodiac and also the Tree of life. I made the same mistake some of you have and tried to read with them without a strong enough foundation of Kaballah. Use the deck one card at a time. Crowley's use of Kaballah and the zodiac is all through the cards perhaps that is where you begin...

Ambience

Yes i have no experience or foundation in that either :)

ravenest

Abrac said:
The Thoth is more of a thinking person's deck.

I suppose it depends whether one's 'intuition' has any "thinking' as its basis.
I prefer to look, think and then use intuition ... the more info I can get before I make an intuitive decision, the better .... for me.

However I have observed some that seem to work the complete opposite way.

ravenest

Always Wondering said:
The Thoth has encouraged me into a thinking mode that dovetails perfectly with my intuition.

AW
:thumbsup:

ravenest

Grigori said:
For me this is one of the strengths of the Thoth. It is flexing the boundaries of where you're comfortable and changing you. It's not supposed to be natural, it's supposed to be super-natural :)
:thumbsup: :laugh:

Ambience

I just speak what i see in the cards.... i don't really "think" as such- there isn't a window between the two.

I also don't analyze what I'm saying- i just say what comes. I don't think about it. Sometimes it surprises me what i write/say- that has come from myself.

Thinking to me is analyzing something intensely before speaking and making certain evaluations- is this what we are talking about here being required to get the most of out the thoth?

Grigori

Ambience said:
Thinking to me is analyzing something intensely before speaking and making certain evaluations- is this what we are talking about here being required to get the most of out the thoth?

I think there are two different conversations happening here in a way. To understand why decisions were made for the features, colours, structure of the Thoth deck, then yes a lot of intellectual study is required, as it is a deeply informed intellectually constructed deck.

Reading with it however requires none of that, you react to the images the same as any other image. I think because of the content built into the images there is more to react to, but the method is no different. I don't intellectually consider the cards before talking about them in a reading, though the most I intellectually study the cards away from readings, the more I see during a reading, and the more I can intuitively react to.

It's no different to consider why a Thoth card uses a shade of pale blue, compared to why a more "fluffy" deck has a card featuring a rabbit. Each is a symbol of something else, that has a tradition, meaning and background for the deck creator. But when you read with it, what matters is what that symbol means for you.

Deana

It took a long time to grow on me. Years. I hated the ugly backs. I understood what they symbolized but they were still ugly. Some of the cards have a type of beauty but I am really not attracted to the artwork like so many people are. My mom is an astrologer and I spent years studying astrology, Kabbalah and anything else I could get my hands on so the Thoth actually came into my life at a time when I was sick to death of all of that.

But... I kept it around and shuffled it from time to time. Looked at the pictures. Watched my son pick it up again and again. I asked what he liked about that deck in particular and he said it has "the best graphics" of all the decks.

Eventually it was familiar to me. Even the backs. And I guess it's like with some people, you don't warm up to them right away but after a few years of becoming familiar with one another, you're ready to get to know each other better.

Also, the printing I have is so washed out, even compared to it's own box, and I think I may have liked it sooner if the images hadn't seemed vague and blurry.

Ambience

ah yes that was a major feature that put me off- the backs of them. I do feel it's a really ugly design too.