The Bernd A. Mertz Lenormand

Tag_jorrit

Le Fanu, you will be in danger if you key in 'lenormand' in the search window on Amazon.de.

I like the antique-y primitive ones, too. But check this one out.
I bought these from another site but these look antique and beautiful, too.

Edited to add that I had neglected to look at the Lenormand collection thread. I think that there does not exists a recently published Lenormand that Le Fanu :royal: does not have.

Le Fanu

Le Fanu, you will be in danger if you key in 'lenormand' in the search window on Amazon.de.

I like the antique-y primitive ones, too. But check this one out.
I bought these from another site but these look antique and beautiful, too.

Edited to add that I had neglected to look at the Lenormand collection thread. I think that there does not exists a recently published Lenormand that Le Fanu :royal: does not have.
I did the Lenormand search on German amazon a long time ago and have bought up all that there is. I bought the Astronomical Lenormand a couple of years ago. I'm always open to new decks (they're published all the time). If anyone hears of any I don't have, please let me know. :)

Le Fanu

Now I am hesitating between this Bernd A. Mertz one and
Alexander Glück's "Wahrsagen a la Lenormand",
due to its similar old feeling and cheap price, but with coloured court/pip playing cards.

It is available in two versions; without book and with book (German).
Though, I don't know anything about the cardstock, book's contents and do not know German,
I wish to have the boxset with book for the sake of completeness.

:)
I just got this today. it is only a book... And I can't understand German :(

Ashtaroot

At first, I wasn't sure it was a deck, so I posted a query here, took a chance and bought it. It arrived today and it is a beautiful deck and so I thought it deserved its own thread and to be known in its own right because (a) it's beautiful and (b) it's cheap. You can see it on German amazon here and if you're up to ordering from a 2nd hand seller in another language (I'm up for anything) you can get it for 3 euros. So all you budding Lenormandees who want a cheap period deck, this is a great buy.

I paid just over 8 euros for mine from the Book Depository UK and I know that Lee bought one from the Book Depository in the USA for (I think) $12.

The down side is that you pay for a book in German which if you don't speak German may seem like a waste of money. However, you get a lovely reproduction Lenormand, lovely cardstock (similar to LoS but the cards are obviously smaller, the same level of lamination as an LoS deck) and an aged cream colour (which doesn't come across in the scans) and with completely plain backs, just like in the olden days! In terms of size the cards are almost exactly the same size as the Mystical Lenormand, maybe just a few millimetres shorter but the width is the same. The set was published in 2004 by the German division of Random House and the deck that comes with it is from 1840 and very typically Biedermeier in style. It is mentioned over at the Lenormand Museum here. They say it's from 1850 but the book says 1840.

Such a charming, gentile deck, with the symbols stripped down to the bare essentials. Slightly naive drawing and primitive colouring which - in my opinion - give it enormous historic charm, a deck for reading fortunes in the parlour on rainy Sunday afternoons. A very lovely deck I think, though maybe a bit "basic" for some people. I include a few scans. Note the delicate little arteries on the wrenched out heart :heart:

Oh thank you so much for this, I got this deck from a dear AT friend a while back but it came in a little ziplog bag just the cards..no name or anything.. But i absolutely loved it..Now I know the name of it. Thank you:heart:

ZKEI

I just got this today. it is only a book... And I can't understand German :(

I am so sorry about that Le Fanu :(

I wish you can return it with no cost.
Perhaps, you may still want to go for the set instead.
ISBN-10: 3897983265
ISBN-13: 978-3897983267
It actually says that it comes with the book and card deck, which you should get something like this and this

PS.
Regarding the German Lenormand decks, I also got a similar problem when I bought my Judith Bärtschi Lenormand, mainly because I do not know German either. I got only a book from Amazon. I returned it as soon as I got since the Amazon's description says that, for the ISBN I ordered, it is a book+deck set.

Then, I ordered again from Book Depository with the same ISBN. Finally, I got a package of both book and deck as wanted.

The problem is that, I guess, the company just scanned from a barcode on the sticker attached, not the barcode on the package and they did not check any details whether it is book only, deck only or deck and book set. Soon after my problem resolved, Amazon changed image of this Lenormand set on their website. I am so sure that it is not coincidence.

However, for this Alexander Glück's Wahrsagen a la Lenormand, I think it provides only two versions; book only and book+deck set (i.e. no deck only version). I am sorry again Le Fanu for your inconvenience.

Le Fanu

If it's not too much trouble, can you find a link on amazon.de that has the set?

I'd hate to make the same mistake again!

Le Fanu

Thank you! I don't understand German but I think I understand "limitierte edition " :D

As for the other book, it has some nice little pictures in for collaging onto handy, Lenormand deck-sized tins...

ETA; Ordered! Let's see!

Alexander Glueck

Greetings from Germany about Biedermeier Lenormand cards

Hello,

after discovering this discussion here I felt the urge to introduce myself to your circle; my name is Alexander Glück and I was working on the re-edition of the Lenormand deck mentioned above that was published at "Buchverlag für die Frau" in Germany this year.

Due to the interest in a plain deck without the book I have asked the publisher yesterday if he would think about such an edition for the U. S. marked or if he could offer the rights to a foreign publishing house, and let's see what he will answer. But anyway, the book itself makes the set not that expensive and it contains several interesting illustrations as well as the keywords and explanations of the cards in german language.

The origin of our reprint edition was a very rare game from a private collection. The former "Verlag für die Frau" realized a very exclusive facsimile edition of this deck in 1982 in a wooden case and with every single card hand-coloured by friendly saxonian women. From three of these sets I scanned the best cards, bent the lines into correct rectangles of same size, re-edited the paper texture, repaired some colour lacks caused by digital reproduction, made decent frames around the pictures and wrote the small commentary volume. It is all the work of one single person.

I got in touch with this game at first sight on 1994 Leipzig book fair where some last sets were sold. The great appeal of these cards didn't let me out since then and I was always very happy to own some, so I suggested to produce a new edition for those who were born too late to get this or who failed searching for it. The 1982 sets are absolutely rare and very hard to find.

On Ebay with article number 290641159071 you will find one very last set of the hand-coloured edition for comparison.

If anybody wants to get in contact with me I would be more than happy to hear from you.

My recent books before the Lenormand project dealt with the fundraising and donors' scene and mistakes in this donor system (titles: "Der Spendenkomplex" and "Die verkaufte Verantwortung"). My next editions will be about the last viennese Biedermeier-graveyard ("Mozarts letzte Ruhe", please tale a look, it contains many pictures ans less text) and about the mystic basements of Vienna ("Das unterirdische Wien"). All of them can be found at Amazon and Ebay.

Best wishes and greetings!

Alexander