Celtic Messages by Joules Taylor

Joules

Isn't synchronicity wonderful?

Hello again, and thanks for the warm welcome. Emma says it's lovely to be appreciated - it makes it all worthwhile!

"I just noticed on The Field card (#24), one of the squares in the border is empty...the one just above the word "Field". Was this deliberate...does it have significance? Or was it an oversight when the cards went to print?"
Pippi

On reading this, I checked my own pack and found that that square is indeed blank. But it certainly wasn't on the proofs (I've scanned and posted the proof of card 24 here - http://joulestaylor.com/24.jpg ), so the 'error' must have happened at the print stage - though quite how I have no idea!

HOWEVER... I am actually rather pleased that it's happened. Card 24 symbolises work, and to a large extent concerns all those restrictions laid upon us from outside, from the need to provide for ourselves and our family - which holds true even if we work for ourselves. We are bounded by those restrictions and needs, and may often find ourselves frustrated and unfulfilled. Yet there is always a way to escape, to break free from our workwise limitations, or to impose our own wishes on our daily labour. So that open square can be seen either as a way out, or as a blank slate on which to write our own desires, our own agenda, to keep us going through the day. It's most opportune that it's positioned at just after midnight or just after noon, according to the clockface: both are times when the pace of life changes, either quickening in preparation for the challenges of the coming day, or taking a deep breath and firming up the determination in order to complete the day's tasks before taking a well-earned rest.

Well, that's how my day works, at any rate!

Overall, then, it's a very happy accident, and one I will have to bear in mind for the future, should I ever be asked to create another pack.

pippi

6 Haunted Days said:
Pippi, that is quite weird about the smell....mine barely had a scent at all. My box doesn't say deluxe or anything on it, but Lewen and I did get both of ours from the One Spirit book club, maybe that's why we had the bag and mandala book? Sometimes they included extras like that for members.

That's really bizarre! I wonder why mine smell so strongly. Maybe they were printed using a different process? And yeah, maybe the set you got was specific to the One Spirit club.

Joules said:
On reading this, I checked my own pack and found that that square is indeed blank. But it certainly wasn't on the proofs (I've scanned and posted the proof of card 24 here - http://joulestaylor.com/24.jpg ), so the 'error' must have happened at the print stage - though quite how I have no idea!

HOWEVER... I am actually rather pleased that it's happened. Card 24 symbolises work, and to a large extent concerns all those restrictions laid upon us from outside, from the need to provide for ourselves and our family - which holds true even if we work for ourselves. We are bounded by those restrictions and needs, and may often find ourselves frustrated and unfulfilled. Yet there is always a way to escape, to break free from our workwise limitations, or to impose our own wishes on our daily labour. So that open square can be seen either as a way out, or as a blank slate on which to write our own desires, our own agenda, to keep us going through the day. It's most opportune that it's positioned at just after midnight or just after noon, according to the clockface: both are times when the pace of life changes, either quickening in preparation for the challenges of the coming day, or taking a deep breath and firming up the determination in order to complete the day's tasks before taking a well-earned rest.
That's an interesting accident indeed! I enjoyed reading your take on the meaning behind the printing error.

I am really loving this deck so much! It's quickly become one of my top favorite oracles.

6 Haunted Days

pippi said:
That's really bizarre! I wonder why mine smell so strongly. Maybe they were printed using a different process? And yeah, maybe the set you got was specific to the One Spirit club.

That's an interesting accident indeed! I enjoyed reading your take on the meaning behind the printing error.

I am really loving this deck so much! It's quickly become one of my top favorite oracles.

Same here :D Ever since getting it, I always carry it in my bag wherever I go....it's the perfect portable deck! The cards and images never fail to uplift me, answer any question and inspire my imagination.

I personally think it's the best oracle so far this year....or last year too! lol

We should start a Emma Garner fan club :)

pippi

6 Haunted Days said:
We should start a Emma Garner fan club :)
LOL!! We should! :laugh:

I don't know about you, but I would have really loved to see some of the animals designed using pieces of that text/print overlapping thing she does. I feel they're just a tad too "normal" compared to the other cards, and lack that funky style that is unique to her work. Some of the other cards lack this feature too (ie, Dagger, Solar Wheel, Harp, etc.), and they always stand out to me also for this reason. Even as subtle as it is in some cards (like on the dresses of The Morrigan and The Druid), it adds such a distinctly pleasing dimension to the art.

Another something I noticed about this deck is that on several of the cards, there are keywords missing which are featured on the images of the cards in the book. (The Morrigan, Sulis, The Wildwood, The Spring, The Field, The Dolmen, The Bear and The Swan). I guess the book features earlier versions of these cards before they were edited for print?

Just to be clear...these are only observations, and not complaints in any way. This deck is fabulous! :D

6 Haunted Days

Hey did anyone notice on The Sea card that you can clearly read the words she uses from a book as an accent (like she does on most her artwork)? It's a job listing and requirements!! :laugh:

I try and figuire out the words or subject when those "book" snippits turn up in her cards, it's fun!

BodhiSeed

Can anyone tell me the size (diameter) of these cards? Thanks!

pippi

bodhran said:
Can anyone tell me the size (diameter) of these cards? Thanks!

They're 4 1/8" across. :)

BodhiSeed

Thanks Pippi! :D

pippi

6 Haunted Days said:
I try and figuire out the words or subject when those "book" snippits turn up in her cards, it's fun!

I do that too sometimes, when the words seem to call out to me. I love that she uses Chinese type as well!