recomendation(s) for a good print quality Thoth deck..

Atcandela

It looks like I'll be adding my first Thoth deck into my Tarot collection.
The recent edition of the Thoth deck had a lightweight paper stock that didn't impress me.

I saw that Thoth Tarot Deck: Ordo Templi Orientis is an older deck and I believe printed in
Switzerland. If anyone here has this deck could they give me some insight on the quality
of the deck; print and paper stock-wise.

much appreciate it and looking forward to working and studying this deck :)

Grigori

Which is the recent edition that you saw Atcandela, as I've never seen any with paper like stock? I think really you have 4 choices at the moment.

There is the Verlag edition, which is only available in German. In the US I know only of Tarot Garden that is stocking it, but maybe others have it too. It's quite nice, the colors are softer than other editions, but the detail is very good and its a lot more appealing than I expected it to be.

Or you have the three sizes of the USG version.

I would recommend starting with the larger one, as the detail is really good, and the colors on these in general I think are great. http://www.tarotgarden.com/boutique...SG+Green+Box,+Large+Size+Edition)&pageenter=0

The medium has the three Magus's if you're in to that.

I think this one is the same size without the extra magus's.

Or you have the small, which is nice enough, but teeny tiny and not easy to learn from I think.

You will see blue box one's from AGM also, but the insides are exactly the same as the USG ones. TG has the pocket version.

They are all fairly comparable in terms of card stock, at least the ones that I have. The color is a lot brighter in the USG one than the Verlag, but if you've not got them side by side, you would love either I think.

thorhammer

I'd second the recommendation for the large. If you can find one of the ones with borderless backs on eBay you'll be laughing - I've found that those have the clearest resolution. My current use copy, trimmed, is one of those. I took all the front borders off, and it's still bigger than the medium. I can't even look at the medium now - can't see naything!

That might, however, be old age setting in :p

\m/ Kat

Le Fanu

I think the 3-Magus purple box Thoth has recently been reprinted as they always have it in now at the Book Depository. I ordered one (a 2nd back-up!) last month and when it came I noticed that the cardstock was much flimsier than any edition I have.

I notice this a lot with decks but then wonder; has treatment of cardstock come on so much with technological advances that a seemingly flimsy deck can actually be quite resilient? Do they have to be thick? the Victorian Romantic has thin cardstock but it is resilient. I dunno...

But in answer to your question; I think the ideal would be the 1986 German full-size 3-Magus edition (with two of the Magus cards out of focus :bugeyed:)!! The colours are stupendous, the cardstock thick. Such blues in the Cups suit! Then you trim the titles off and that would be my dream Thoth.

Problem is I can never bring myself to trim off the titles for fear of devaluing it!

Atcandela

The USG Thoth deck is the one that I noticed with the light cardstock
weight. I've been used to a medium weight with my other decks.

As I'll be new in venturing with this deck, as lovely as the German deck is
I like to start out with the English version.

Does anyone have info on the Swiss printed Thoth deck?
Is it in English? better cardstock print quality.

Looking to get as much information as I want to purchase this deck
ASAP. Any more leads are greatly appreciated

ThothHammer: I did see the large version.
And definitely more to explore as the symbology is that much greater to
see when viewed larger.

Emily

The Verlag editions of the Thoth are pretty impressive with the gold edges but the German proved to be a big turn-off for me. I just couldn't get used to seeing the titles and keywords in German. I'd love it if they reprinted in English or even French or Italian.

Emily

I haven't seen the blue box Swiss version in a long time - I don't have that one but I have an older green box large and the cardstock is very good in this one - in fact the cardstock in all of the older versions is good. I think it might be the reprints where they are using thinner cardstock.

If you could get an older version, then you could guarantee the cardstock but for some reason the Thoth has been getting a little hard to get hold of at the moment.

Atcandela

Emily..
Am I safe to say that the Swiss edition is in English.
What I found used on Amazon stated it is a Swiss 1978 edition. :)

Emily

Hi Atcandela,

Yes the Swiss is in English - Although I know that some of the Thoths do get printed in different languages. I think its only the Verlag edition that is exclusively German, which is a pity, its a beautiful deck and the artwork is different, some of the cards look muted, you have to look harder for the details - there is a thread about the deck artwork somewhere - some people don't like the change and said the artwork looked fuzzy, that the printing wasn't as good as previous editions.

Atcandela

undecided on what Thoth deck to get??

I've been looking online for a Thoth deck, and the "issue" I'm coming across
is that there are many variations of this deck. And being that I can't sense
the deck in person, I'm oddly at a lost on what deck to get!

Appreciate some feedback .. as I was hoping to have ordered the deck and
have it by the weekend to practice and study with.