recomendation(s) for a good print quality Thoth deck..

RLG

The Swiss edition is not from 1978. So either they have one fact wrong or the other.

The real Swiss edition is the 1986 printing, (you'll find the copyright date on the back of the card). The 1996 printing was also printed in Switzerland, but only for a couple of years, then (and now) printed in Belgium when Cartamundi bought AGMuller.

I would suggest steering clear of the 1978 edition, in the large white box, as this is a 'greenie' and will have much less vibrant tones to it. Some people like it, but it's an acquired taste for sure.

As noted above, all the USG and AGMuller Blue Box cards are the same, so go with what's cheaper, and all are from the 1996 printing - also bold colors, slightly better focus, better cropping. Don't know about cardstock as I don't have the latest issue in front of me.

My bet would be the large green box USGames, for clarity's sake, but the medium lavender box is fine to learn and work with the deck.

Emily

Atcandela said:
I've been looking online for a Thoth deck, and the "issue" I'm coming across
is that there are many variations of this deck. And being that I can't sense
the deck in person, I'm oddly at a lost on what deck to get!

Appreciate some feedback .. as I was hoping to have ordered the deck and
have it by the weekend to practice and study with.

Like RLG, I would recommend you get either the greenbox Thoth, which is a nice large size, easy to learn on or get the smaller Lavender box Thoth which has the three Magus cards in. This is the size of a standard deck. The printings of both these decks is good.

Really these are the 'standard' run-of-the-mill Thoths and usually the most easy to get hold of. I don't have any of the Swiss decks but I've always been happy with the quality of the greenbox and lavender box Thoths I do have. :)

I also have a whitebox greenie but you won't get anything like these older decks unless you go searching for them. :)

Atcandela

Emily and RLG.. Thank You!

After searching on Amazon, EBAY, and other online sources comparing prices and quality, I thought it best to just purchase the deck in person.
There was a "used -like new OTO deck" on Amazon that was printed in switzerland, but the seller mentioned about a possible greenish cast to this deck. There was some other information that sounded unclear to me.
Also a little "unsure" about taking in a used deck that isn't directly given from one person to the next. It's nice to know from who the deck is coming from.

Humorously, I haven't spent so much time in research for a tarot deck! :)

in spirit ~A~

Le Fanu

A good Thoth is very easy to get, so listen to Emily! We are fortunate in that there are no lamination issues with the Thoth. All edition currently available are pretty good quality. If you want to study (Atcandela), I think the large green box one is a great one!

photokat

Le Fanu said:
I think the ideal would be the 1986 German full-size 3-Magus edition

Agreed!

photokat

RLG said:
I would suggest steering clear of the 1978 edition, in the large white box, as this is a 'greenie' and will have much less vibrant tones to it. Some people like it, but it's an acquired taste for sure.

I would like to defend the Greenie here - I have at least 2 copies with some of the craziest and most vibrant colors I have ever seen in a Thoth (will try and post some scans).

I was always Anti-Greenie until I got my paws on one of those treasures. They literally sparkle .... and I am now officially re-converted : )

Must have been a print run that had extraordinary colors ... seen it only twice maybe. But generally speaking, Greenies are rather flat and just "green". So in that respect you are definitely right when you suggest to "steer clear".

Atcandela

Photokat and Le Fanu:

Well.. I opted for the small deck.
It was a 50/50 decision, but thought by using this deck for readings it would be best to
go for the smaller size. I'm a detailed oriented person so I can easily see myself being
thoroughly fascinated with all the visual information within this deck.

I have DuQuette's "Thoth Tarot" book as a guide and to further understand this deck.
Don't want to get overwhelmed with too much reading in the beginning.
I take a lot of my tarot studies/practice based on intuition. The outside resources are
extra tools that are available.

So now I'm off to experience a new path in my tarot journey..

Emily

The lavender box Thoth is a good choice - you'll probably end up with the larger size later on anyway }) - but for being practical, the smaller standard size is good.

Also although I'm not a huge fan of LWB's, I find the Thoth one is well worth having a read through. :)

Chiska

I purchased the purple box Thoth, but immediately regretted not buying the larger version! I would like to have the smaller one for regular use, but the larger one for study.

I am hoping to get a copy of the larger version later in the summer.

Emily

I was never that keen on the larger decks because I have small hands but since I've started the 'top over top' shuffle, I can use decks of any size and I love the size of the large Thoth, and it does look pretty impressive laid out. :)