Tarot Apps - Good idea?

EightWands

It's always been my belief that spirit will "speak" through any medium available. So, to me, it doesn't matter whether it's paper/cards or through the computer or iphone.

minrice

I'll comment, since I have Kat's Touchstone Tarot app for my ipod touch.

I think the Tarot apps are fun and convenient if you have your device nearby and don't want to go upstairs for a deck. Will they ever replace actual cards...I don't think so. The apps alone, without actual decks, won't be enough for the serious Tarotphiles! Those who truly read Tarot, study it, and love it will keep the tradition alive.

notjonathan

I would be horrified if anyone decided to _replace_ their cards with my Tarot app.

The idea, at least when I was making my app, was to provide an alternative for times when the cards weren't available, were inconvenient or otherwise not possible.

I love paper, its feel and smell, colored ink, rough edges -- everything physical about the cards is very important to me, and that's why my app focuses on the beauty of the cards (and on natural materials, or at least images of them!). I was really happy when developing the ipad version, since the cards appear almost life-sized, which adds to the illusion.

Anyway, just my sympathetic thoughts as a conflicted app-writer.

cirom

I echo notjonathan's thoughts on this issue.

It is not the intention of the more seriously planned tarot applications to replace a physical deck. I see them as being a option of convenience when use of a real deck for whatever reasons would be inappropriate or impractical. Similar to the sentiment many have for the real tactile quality of handling a real book verses say a reading device such as Kindle,.
Those of us who have dabbled in applying new media to tarot, are not trying to undermine its core values or tradition, but are trying to breath another life to it, another variable that undoubtably can be a useful substitute, after all just how many books or decks can you practically carry with you on your vacation, or plane flight, or doctors visit? Via these apps, in theory an entire library or collection. Some may argue that you don't need an entire library, and that is true, but the option and choice is certainly appealing.
Furthermore there are actually a number of ways that these virtual decks can do more than a "real" one. I will be showing the pre-launch version of mine next week at the tarot conference in New York which I believe will demonstrate those capabilities.

214red

the only two apps i have for my Ipod touch are a tarot app and solitaire, fun to play with, and i think all mediums work for divination

SGrossberg

I am compelled to add my complete admiration for Jonathan's work. Great job!

zephyr_heart

cardlady22 said:
An app, for me, is best for when I don't have the time or space to lay out the cards myself.
I'd like to second this opinion. I think, the good things about apps is that you can use them as an alternative for doing readings. If you had space limitation, where you can't spread the cards on the floor, apps should come in handy. And it's less time-consuming to shuffle and choosing the cards, too.

If you like practicality, I suggest you to use tarot apps.

Scion

I feel like Apps are going to fulfill the same (if simpler) function of Orphalese... and I use Orphalese a LOT. Not replacement but an elegant portable solution.

I am wishing that one of the iPhone types (esp. someone as talented as notjonathan) would do a port to the Android platform... There are several Tarot apps for Android, but they all seem a little cheeseball.

Does anyone have any suggestions about the offerings for Android?

Stormdancer

Scion said:
Does anyone have any suggestions about the offerings for Android?

How about for Blackberry? :D

frelkins

wow jonathan just saw this thread. so thrilled you remembered us historical deck freaks by including the Charles 6. if i could turn off reversals, i'd own this app in a moment - i read only with historical decks, and never with reversals. really this is the only tarot app i've even considered buying! :)

fantastic work.