"Sealing" your deck

Le Fanu

I always turn over the top face-up card, so it faces all the rest of the cards. I feel uneasy even to think about not doing this. So I guess I'm sealing my decks, and I guess I believe it's a good idea :laugh:
Oh I like that one too. I need more rituals in my life...

Stormdancer

No, I don't do this, but that's kind of cool! Seems like a nice little ritual when putting the cards away... I think it kind of adds to it like cleaning up your work space when you're done working. Seems kind of nice. :)
This was my first thought...QUICKLY followed by...

AJ said it! I am just too lazy to do anything like that.

I stopped doing it cause to me it seemed silly.
Bravo! Our rituals are just that..."Ours"

Debra

I don't think of it as a ritual. It's like checking that the front door is locked, or the refrigerator door shut properly. I think it's a good idea, and I've made it a habit.

tarotbear

Do you feel the need to "seal the cards"?

I did it for a little while after she taught me, but now I don't.

What is it your own quote says about 'Security is mostly a superstition' ? LOL!

If it floats your boat - go ahead and do it. If your boat won't float ~ do without it.

Minotauro

well this kind of things get you in the right state of mind , I ussualy just breath deeply a few times , this could be the same for your teacher and I can see why she does it , the begining and the end. but it'd be too much trouble for me to search for specific cards every time I get it out and put it back lol XD

Briar Rose

When I started reading this thread, the first thing that came to mind is intention. I suppose you could really use any number of cards to seal a deck. It's all what the cards means to you, and for what purpose. But would it make a differene if the intention was just in your mind, instead of thinking the cards could do it?

Flaminica

I have never heard of this ritual. The concept is rather interesting. From what tradition or source is it derived?

Debra

I could swear I read it in Waite's Pictorial Key, or some similar tarot guide that I read in the early 1970's. I always turned the last card face in, and I bought a small wooden box to keep it in. When a few years later a friend gave me a silk square he'd tie-dyed, I wrapped my deck in that.

nortytiger

I like that! Sealing with the Sun and Moon!

I don't do anything like that. I just have to keep shuffling until there isn't a negative card on top before I put them away.

I don't even check what card is on top/bottom. With my personality I just know I would then start reading too much into which card had ended up there after shuffling to put away which would set up a process of checking, removing, reading too much into which card had ended up on top/bottom and I would be stuck in a never-ending cycle. :laugh:

firecatpickles

I never know what my next question is going to be. Same thing goes fro what deck.

So I find it interesting to see what the bottom card is when I take the deck out. I can't help to think that it's a little precursor to the reading in question to take a peek at the bottom card before shuffling. Sealing the deck like this would ruin this for me.