"Sealing" your deck

Amanda

No, I don't do this, but that's kind of cool! Seems like a nice little ritual when putting the cards away... I think it kind of adds to it like cleaning up your work space when you're done working. Seems kind of nice. :)

Amitisti

Thanks for the replies

I stopped doing it cause to me it seemed silly. I like to just pick up the cards and give them a quick shuffle at the end of a reading and that seems like enough for me. I am still relatively new to reading so I am sure I will develop my own little 'rituals' as I do it more and more and someday, some person I teach will think some of the things I do a silly too ;)

Cerulean

Well my Sun and Moon card have grumpy faces

but I like one card I decorated a little so I have it on top.

Whatever helps you seal your deal, seems ideal...helps you feel good..a bit of rhyme back there. I like reading about other personal habits and decks.

I sometimes like to finish by placing my favorite picture on top, if I have one.

,so
I was wondering about something my teacher said but I don't seem to see anywhere else...

She calls it "Sealing the cards" between uses. She pulls out the Sun and the Moon and puts them on top and bottom of the deck. she suggested I could also use the Fool and the World.

Do you feel the need to "seal the cards"?

Personally, I am a little confused how 2 specific cards can protect your deck from anything, but am really curious if others do this little ritual. I did it for a little while after she taught me, but now I don't.

Laura Borealis

That's a new one on me, too.

I don't do anything special. I used to carefully wrap my decks in silk scarves, but I don't do that anymore (well, one deck is but only because the deck goes with that particular scarf). I also had a particular way I folded and wrapped the scarf and it felt wrong to wrap it any other way. I got over it, though.

Kosjitov

General consensus:

Do what makes you feel like you're having a good time. If it's a chore and you don't think it helps, don't do it. Simple, right?

I personally like the idea. I suppose in a way, it's kind of ritualistic and in the process of doing it, your mind is focused on the task at hand. I may try this for my "cleansing" ritual for a while. Some people can just snap to and focus and get it done. Some of us have trouble getting our mind to clear and stay focused on just this one task. I fall in the latter group and don't mind the "help".

While I didn't always put a guardian card at the bottom of the deck, I used to put the Fool on top when I first got my Dragon deck because I felt very close and attached to the card.

It is what it is.

Le Fanu

I like that! Sealing with the Sun and Moon!

I don't do anything like that. I just have to keep shuffling until there isn't a negative card on top before I put them away.

AJ

sounds kind of sweet, but I'm too much of a lazy bum to sort through the deck.

Chiska

AJ said it! I am just too lazy to do anything like that.

I really think it is cool that we all have such different ways of handling our decks. I am not given to rituals or anything like that, so I don't really gravitate towards doing something like "sealing" the cards, or shuffling until a specific kind of card is / is not on the top / bottom.

hunter

I love rituals, as long as I'm having fun with them.

I'm still enjoying the whole hair is a psychic antenna thing :) I think it's fun to shake my hair out before reading :)

Debra

I always turn over the top face-up card, so it faces all the rest of the cards. I feel uneasy even to think about not doing this. So I guess I'm sealing my decks, and I guess I believe it's a good idea :laugh: