"Sealing" your deck

Marieve

I usually carry the deck I am using in a box or bag, and I put the Death card on top. I don't think it's an act of sealing, but perversity. A family member used to enjoy giving me a hard time about my cards, so I thought if they were going to snoop through my stuff they should get exactly what they are looking for. }) Now it's just habit.

Ha, ha. i like that a lot. For some of my family Devil would work better. They already think I'm satanist cause I meditate so I must be possessed. Great idea. Cheers

Est

Marieve - I too like your idea about Guardian cards. I'm going to make a note of that. It 'feels' right for me :)

In answer to the OP, I haven't heard of sealing a deck but I do tend to put mine back in order every week or two weeks. As someone else said, it seems like good housekeeping!

SunChariot

I was wondering about something my teacher said but I don't seem to see anywhere else...

She calls it "Sealing the cards" between uses. She pulls out the Sun and the Moon and puts them on top and bottom of the deck. she suggested I could also use the Fool and the World.

Do you feel the need to "seal the cards"?

Personally, I am a little confused how 2 specific cards can protect your deck from anything, but am really curious if others do this little ritual. I did it for a little while after she taught me, but now I don't.

That is the first time I have ever heard of that. No I have never done that or anything to try to protect my deck. I personally do not even get it why some people think that decks need protecting in the first place. I have never had anything but pure love and light from my decks. I never felt any need to protect anything. Although no one else ever touches them and I only read for others online. SO I cannot say about reading in person.

How two cards can protect the deck? They can if YOU believe they can. The more you beleive in the more they can protect. The energy of Tarot comes from inside you. The "magic" as they say is inside you. The cards are nothing more than a tool that can be used to access that and bring it out. Its all you. We seem to connect to something greater in a reading (opinions on what that is vary) but still it is us asking the question and creating the connection.

The kind of energy surrounding the experience will be the kind of energy you create by your beliefs. I personally just asked from the start that any answers I get through my cards from this point forward come only from a place of deep love and light. I just asked once, but I was serious about it. And my answers have always come from that place, without question. SO no need to protect the cards when all that touches them is love and light.

That is just one example of the energy you expect to surround the experience being fufilled. If for some reason of other your expectations included that some kind of negative energy could come and affect your cards negatively that could put you in a negative or fearful mindframe during certain aspects of reading. And it could manifest things, in the sense that we don't see the same things in the cards when expecting positive things as when expecting negative ones. Our mindset affects how we read.

IF you then told yourself that putting a Moon and a Sun at the bottom and top of the deck was protecting your deck and IF you truly beleived that and the problem was solved, You would breathe a deep sigh of relief and then feel more relaxed and optimistic. And a calmer more optimistic reader gets more positive readings than a negative worried one. (whcih is one reason why you are not supposed to do readings when you are down).

What I am trying to say I guess it that in my understanding....in one sense it is all in your head. But it can also be very real. Because your feelings will affect your readiings. Positive feelings=positive energy. Negative feelings=negative energy. Positive enegy leads to better readings.

Of course you could get the same effect by not believing your cards need protection,. But if you did, that method could work as well as anything else if you believed in it. The importnat part is your what you choose to believe.

Babs

Amitisti

Thanks Babs. that is a great way to explain it. She believes so it works for her, I don't so it doesn't do anything for me.

I do protect my cards, but in a much more mundane sense. I have my decks in velvety bags and wrapped in a reading cloth, but that is so they don't get dirty or scratched up in my purse and the reading cloth is so that I have everything I need handy and ready to go when I want to do a reading.

I do believe in energy, but I do not believe that someone can mess with my cards with their energy or negative thoughts cause I have said they can't :)

SunChariot

Thanks Babs. that is a great way to explain it. She believes so it works for her, I don't so it doesn't do anything for me.

I do protect my cards, but in a much more mundane sense. I have my decks in velvety bags and wrapped in a reading cloth, but that is so they don't get dirty or scratched up in my purse and the reading cloth is so that I have everything I need handy and ready to go when I want to do a reading.

I do believe in energy, but I do not believe that someone can mess with my cards with their energy or negative thoughts cause I have said they can't :)

You're welcome. :grin: and your beliefs are very much what mine are. I protect my decks in good bags too and to keep them pretty as they are spiritual tools for.

I actually do not feel comfortable with anyone else touching my decks at all. Their energy and all. In my years as a reader I only let one other person touch my decks. And that another reader and AT member who came to my town to visit. But I trusted her energies. So yeah, I am one of those. Not so much I guess that they can purposely do any harm. But if they are very negative or angry people undereneath I somehow worry some of that can get onto the cards. LOL Luckily for me I only read remotely to the issue never comes up. :grin:

Babs

Amitisti

You're welcome. :grin: and your beliefs are very much what mine are. I protect my decks in good bags too and to keep them pretty as they are spiritual tools for.

I actually do not feel comfortable with anyone else touching my decks at all. Their energy and all. In my years as a reader I only let one other person touch my decks. And that another reader and AT member who came to my town to visit. But I trusted her energies. So yeah, I am one of those. Not so much I guess that they can purposely do any harm. But if they are very negative or angry people undereneath I somehow worry some of that can get onto the cards. LOL Luckily for me I only read remotely to the issue never comes up. :grin:
Babs

I have no problem letting others touch my cards, as long as they have washed their hands first ;)

If I feel they have add any negative energy to my cards I cleanse them...first I put them back in order then I start shuffling and shuffling and shuffling. when I do that, or am shuffling a new deck, I put a little EO on my hands and that does it for me, and adds a pretty scent to the cards.
What I do not allow is for another person to use my cards for a reading. they can look at them, they can shuffle them, but never will someone else use my cards for a reading...selfish that way! :D

Morwenna

I've never (that I recall) come across this idea before, though I can see where it might come from: bookending the deck with opposites (Sun/Moon, beginning [Fool]/ending [World]) seems like a good "closure" move to those who like leaving things in general tidy. But I never got involved with that myself. I too am lazy, and generally a good shuffle is all I'll do to a deck before putting it away, unless what I've been doing is simply studying or meditating. If I've been going through a deck one card at a time in study, I'll often leave the next card in the plan on top so I know instantly where I left off last time. If a deck no longer has its box, or if the box is damaged and has been carried around in something, I'll go through to make sure they're all there. But otherwise they are as they fell last. And if I'm going to read, they get shuffled again upon reopening.

Protection: physical protection is best served for me by keeping them in good boxes or well wrapped if the boxes are no longer good, and by being careful of the surfaces on which they're put down. Metaphysical protection is best served by intent. I've let people borrow some of my decks for reading in workshops, and I've never had a problem with that; but not all my decks go to workshops. :)

Ashtaroot

I always turn over the top face-up card, so it faces all the rest of the cards. I feel uneasy even to think about not doing this. So I guess I'm sealing my decks, and I guess I believe it's a good idea :laugh:

I never do anything, But I really like this Debra :heart: I seriously like this, I am going to start doing it..it seems fun.. I have a very dear friend and teacher she always likes to put the deck back in order after she is done, i think that's cool too but I couldn't do it..

I feel whatever makes you happy :) it's your deck and your style ...
I am def trying Debra s little trick;) thank you :D

Ivy Rhiannon

I guess we all have our "tarot rituals" I like rituals, but I would never recommend doing something that doesn't feel right. For me I keep my decks in wraps. Not just for energy protection but physical dirt protection too. So I guess that is sealing the deck. Plus they double as reading cloths!

I always shuffle the deck to "get the old energy out" too lol, sometimes when I do a lot with them I mix them all up and blow on them too. :D I rarely set the deck in order, but I do feel this would "reset" the energies.

I like the idea of turning the last card facing in too. Seems like a neat way to "seal" the cards also! I guess none of our rituals are necessary, but they are fun and I think that is key. The magic is there if we create it ;)

Lokisen

I don't know if I actually "seal" my deck, but I guess I do something similar. I put a couple of cards on top of the deck when I guess I'm hopeful for something (I know this sounds superstitious, but...) like, for example, if I want some inspiration or creativity, I'll place the ace of wands at the top, as I'm putting the deck away.

As for "rituals," I know a lot of the myths that have grown up around the cards are just that, myths and urban legends, but I do find that putting decks in red bags (or red cloths) does seem to recharge them at least a little.

And I do something else, I don't know if other people do this; I put strands of my hair (left over from combing) in my tarot bags, and it seems to focus the deck and add to its potency as a reading tool.