A curious experiment....

Aerin

Emily said:
It's her new book 'Simple fortunetelling with tarot cards' - its very good, I mainly bought it because its illustrated with the Liber T and was very pleased to find that she had used the Queen/Queen, Knight/King, Princess/Page, Prince/Knight - other RWS/Thoth comparison books I've read confuse the Knight and Prince up and it gets very complicated. :)

Thanks Emily for that information.

The Liber T arrived today.

My relationship with it at the moment: 9 of Spheres, yes OK I did want it as a new toy more than anything
My future relationship with it: Prince of Sceptres. Perhaps I will learn to ride with it after all.

btw noticed a ?'soft self wounding pelican' on the Empress. At least I assume that's what it is - there was an old belief that the pelican self-harmed to provide food for its offspring, and Christ is associated with this symbol. I know because I once sang something based on this. Here, scroll down to the second? Finzi piece: it's a verse by Richard Crashaw.

http://www.mccaughan.org.uk/g/random/ncs-texts_2007-07.html

Aerin

ps the Vanessa is a surprisingly useful deck. I bought for the tin and the purple but stayed for the experience.

pps I have the Quest and I like some of the art but have never been able to read with it. I think I get lost in all the information on each card.

Alta

I have also seen that image in Christian iconography, usually a pelican striking its own breast and the blood flowing into the open beaks of its young. And yes, it is understood to be a metaphor of Christ.

Emily

OOhh Alta - now that is going to take some getting used to, I've seen you as Marion for such a long time - cool name though. :)

Queen of Disks

Marion, that was you???

Well, now I know who to look out for! :)

Well, I got the Quest. Not bad, actually. I haven't read with it yet, so I will report back and let you all know how it goes. It is obviously computer generated, but it isn't bothering me as much as I thought it would. It shows how far technology has come in the last few years. (I think computer stuff bothers me when, for example there are computer generated special effects in the movies that is trying to pass for reality-and it's badly done and I can sit there and pick out the special effects! If it's computer, I want it to be computer. if it's real, I want it to be real.)

The book is a little iffy (reading on granite or wood tables? What?). I can see what Aerin was saying about information overload with all of the tables and options that are in the cards. I don't think I will be using all of them (like the timeline or the physical features options), but I would like to try out the Ouija board options.

I'll see how it goes, and if all else fails, to the Trade Train it will go.

Aerin

Well, a week with the Liber T.

I can't imagine using it for everyday sort of readings, it seems to be at the intellectual / spiritual level for me. Not on the same plane, so to speak. But I don't get the crystalline feel of the Thoth which is all to the good. I can't imagine ever feeling fond of it or the beings within it.

I find not having a full book irritating, on the other hand I like that there is a lot going on in each card. Some of which is... well..... rather ick. But fortunately not all ;)

On the plus side, cards so far have been pretty spot on with the situation at work..... and I am managing to link what the LWB says and what the images on the card are like with some of my existing knowledge. Phew.

Aerin

ps I like the polyhedra, but that's me and maths rather than anything else.

Cerulean

Kabbalah on the brain...wild and crazy, guys...

...hmm, it's been a rough head-cold week, but let's say this. Tarotwise, my underappreciated Gill is a friendly companion...

I've used the very soothing Josephine Gill Tarot in leisure and finished the week with a meditation on a tree and...managed to finally consolidate some Yeats summary material together in a thread. All that Tree of Life beautiful work she did based on Golden Dawn colors led me back to exploring old material and trying to link through it...

My tree meditation dream wasn't tree of life, but a lively tree with beautiful light-filled citrine green and gold leaves reaching for heavens...and a dark trunk so gloriously etched with bark and age and roots. (Shades of the Gill)

Otherwise...
did walking and grocery and coughed in the wind, grim and determined to do something...managed one half-session of yoga...but mostly did so much accounting analysis with dedication just to get it over with so I could...read and sleep...I didn't realize a beautiful tree would come in a lovely day dream. Oh, the Gill Tarot image of a figure in a tree and the rooted Empress was waving at me dimly...and it being the 15th of the month, I like to do ancester prayers and a Japanese reading...and missed so much doing biwa music...but when I recover hearing, I look forward to returning to other things!

And somehow, the Dotti Tarocco (closest to Yeats Tarot) snuck into my day pack...but the Gill Tarot is definitely going to be kept out for another week or so...

Cerulean

Hello Aerin, loved this comment...sorry it's a late comeback

Aerin said...

ps the Vanessa is a surprisingly useful deck. I bought for the tin and the purple but stayed for the experience.

I am misquoting Shade, but he told me about the 'hourglass vixens' being surprisingly delightfully apt...I do have that purple tin somewhere...

Regards,

Cerulean

Queen of Disks

A week with the Quest

Well, I did my week with the Quest, and I can't complain at all. It read very nice and clear, and it worked well for dailies and for a few questions I had. I frankly forgot about all of the bells and whistles at the top, and the Ouija board stuff did not get used that much. I like the make-your-own card idea, and the computer images did not give me any trouble. I am happy I got it, and it will not go to the Trade Train.

Little Hare

What an interesting thread! I Like hearing about which deck/s one picks and why. I think if i were to do this I'd choose Tarot of Prague because its something I'd never get... *wonders off to ponder*

firefrost

I've only just seem this thread, too.

I chose a few weeks back to step out of my comfort zone and get into the Marseilles decks. Something I never thought would happen in a million years.

Very rocky ground at the moment, but also very interesting.

Well done and good luck to all who are taking the challenge!