dealbreaker cards in a deck

Lilija

Whoa, that is gorgeous, thanks for the link...now you have me thinking about yet another deck!! Only, it seems that I have to wait for this one... I agree about Hanson-Roberts, that was one of the reasons I got the deck. It's very serene.

I like the idea of the collage, because I have so many Strength cards that I adore. A while back, my best friend painted me his rendition of the Bohemian Gothic Strength card, which is my far and away favorite. Maybe I can get him to work with me on a collage of my favorites...

Sorry for gleefully stealing your idea :p I'd liketo see a picture of your collage, if you have one handy, maybe on another thread, or PM me or something.

Psychebleu

No card on principle, but I passed on the Barbara Walker deck (what I've seen of it) solely based on the High Priestess card. To me, it looks like a depiction of fairytale princess in a children's book.

LorettaYeo

I tend to buy decks impulsively. Here in Virginia Beach The Heritage Store used to have a big New Age section and they had a display deck for every design. They'd just sacrifice a pack and punch holes in the corner, then hang them on a bead chain next to the display. Even then, I'd be enthralled by many attractive cards, buy the deck, and after I got it home and worked with it for a while, there'd be enough bad or so-so cards that I'd just put it aside.

I remember the Mythic Tarot was like that. In the store, I liked the cream-colored backgrounds and the concept of using Greek myths to tell the story. But then (after they had my money) I saw that a lot of the cards were really stretching the analogy, or the book or LWB presented meanings that I just didn't associate with the cards, even if you could construe their meaning from their artwork.

I never liked the interpretation of Swords as negative, just Intellect, which like any other gift can be used or abused. Maybe I'm simply used to it, but the RWS 3 of Swords is perfect. Not just heartbreak - a sword through the heart - but THREE of them. To me that is serious; separates the everyday disappointments from the real world-shattering revelations.

Not long ago I got an insight into the 7 of Swords. Most books interpret it as being sneaky or stealing, but that never resonated for me. Someone even saw significance in the number of swords the guy carries in his right and left hands.

This particular day, the tents on the right of the card reminded me of some of the movies about Henry VIII when he meets the French king on the Field of Cloth of Gold. Yes, this was an important gathering. And the two kings were feeling each other out, not just to treat for peace, but to learn about their opponent/prospective ally.

From that, I remembered a Defense Department trade show where government contractors display their new toys and try to create a demand. That's part of the 7 of Swords too, seeing what's out there and how you can use it.

Lastly, I thought of industry trade shows where folks come together to see how everyone handles problems or setbacks, and what innovations they've created or improved. Yes! the five swords is new knowledge that we gain from meeting with others, that we can take back and put to use. The two swords in the ground are what we bring to the gathering and contribute to others' success.

Is it just me, or does the Hanson-Roberts deck turn anyone off? I bought the deck, along with the Connolly because they are both "popular." But to me the ham-handed use of heavy black lines in the HR images pulls my focus away from the overall scene. It's as though a church bought cheap stained glass windows, where there is very little lead separating large pieces, and instead of colors making a mosaic, each piece has pictures painted on it to "simulate" mosaic.

I just looked at these cards again, and I can't even tell you if I like the art style or the overall images because I can't see them. All I see are those annoying black lines.

Guess what! The Connolly deck does that too, although it's less distracting because it doesn't use pastels like the HR. The Connolly's jewel tones are strong enough to compete with the heavy lead lines, although they don't seem to win out over them.

Rapha

I am sensitive to the design of the death, hanged-man and ace of swords cards. Most of the time, if I don't connect with those cards in a deck, there are few chances I will buy it, however beautiful the other cards look.
The tower can be a dealbreaker too, I don't get along well with the nicer/softer versions ^_^

Aranel

Death
Tower
Devil
10 of Swords

Any deck that tries to fluff over the bad stuff in those cards and make them into sunshine, flowers and unicorn farts turns me off the whole deck. Unless the rest of the deck is amazing.

My Silver Witchcraft Tarot arrived this weekend. I've never been angry about a card design before but the 10 of swords really, really annoys me. Utter fluff.

Placebo Scotsman

Anything with vampires

As much as I may like the artwork for the Lescot and Favole decks otherwise they can do their goth thing for me by sitting forlorn on the shelf and gathering dust

Pity, but...

nisaba

Or: which cards must a deck get *right*, in order for you to be able to use it?

There are none. No dealbreaker cards.

Every deck is its own thing. And every deck, no matter how brilliant, has a card or cards that I, as the lowly user, don't think they have got right. But someone created that deck: someone with more talent than I have. Who am I to judge them?

Decks that I adore and will never be without (including two that are always within a metre of my body) have cards that I don't think are well-executed.

If I were going to be carping and critical, I'd own no decks at all.

annabel398

Queen of Swords and Moon.

I like (or at least can cope with) 98.7% of the cards in the Archeon, for instance, but that Q'S is so drab, so murky, so freakin' olive that I just don't want to use the deck.

Moon's gotta be mysterious and cool. Bonus points for crawfish.

Alea

I don't look for a single card in a deck that is a deal breaker. I look at all the majors and see if they fit together and if they flow. If they don't, I'll pass.

Same here, I guess the only dealbreaker for me would be the hierophant in the Crystal Visions tarot....but would it still be called that, even if i still bought the deck? hahaha. I just love the deck and one card won't stop me from getting it! xD

Halloween

The sun has to exclaim happiness to me. If the sun card shows a lot of joy and child-like innocence, I know it will be a good deck.

The pips have to all be unique as well and not bland like a deck of cards would be, where it's all about numbers and less about the artwork.