Another Pilgrim Paints BOTA Cards

treedog

And so I begin... I've colored 3 trumps and have an intention of completing the deck. Coloring the cards has a grounding effect on me, both while I'm engaged in the coloring, and overall. I feel a shift from trying to gather as much information as possible about the tarots to a more personal involvement. I'm engaged at a more basic level now--it's a pentacles thing.

I'm using 12 relatively inexpensive watercolor pencils that don't have gold or silver or exotic tones. After coloring I go back and brush in water to smooth out the medium and saturated it. You can see from my first 3 cards (attached) that I'm not too steady. Oh no!, that means I'll have to love my creations just as they are. Hmmm, one of many first lessons.

And on another technical note, I'm using a "satin" spray finish. I may go back over them with a semi-gloss to get a bit shinier look and feel. These crude card are the first of my majick tools on this new journey.

I also joined B.O.T.A. to work with their correspondance materials. I rather like the way P. F. Case describes the trumps in The Tarot: A Key to the Wisdom of the Ages. I haven't received any materials from them yet, but look forward with a relaxed anticipation.

Attachments

• BOTA-0,1,2.jpg
    BOTA-0,1,2.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 298

Emily

I like the colours you've used, they look vibrant and bright. :)

Richard

And so I begin... I've colored 3 trumps and have an intention of completing the deck. Coloring the cards has a grounding effect on me, both while I'm engaged in the coloring, and overall. I feel a shift from trying to gather as much information as possible about the tarots to a more personal involvement. I'm engaged at a more basic level now--it's a pentacles thing........
Looking good!

I'm thinking about getting another deck and coloring it with regular watercolors. (I have several teeny-tiny brushes for the details.)

Let us know how you enjoy B.O.T.A. I knew someone who was in it for many years and had nothing but good things to say about it.

treedog

Love this Synchronicity... A particular card is next up for coloring, and I get that card in personal readings. My conscious mind makes a suggestion to the subconscious and et viola!, the universe responds. Gee, maybe something much bigger than the "me" I have always thought was me wants me to really get this stuff.

Anyway... it's really cool when I consciously experience the connectedness.

Tarot Orat

How wonderful that coloring the cards is helping you connect with them...and them connect with you! I don't think they look "shaky" at all...the colors flow beautifully and are so harmonious.

treedog

Thanks to Emily and TO for your encouragement, and of course LRichard for his previous examples with such exquisite shading and textures.

The Empress and Emperor attached.

I had never noticed that the water (of subconscious mind?) continues its joureny from the robes of the Priestess through the river of Empress and then crosses the entire breadth of the Emperor card. Interesting.

I must work on better representations of metal and stone :)

Attachments

• BOTA-3,4.jpg
    BOTA-3,4.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 220

Alta

I have read several times by tarot artists and authors strongly experiencing in their own lives whatever card they were working on. As you say, a nice bit of synchronicity.

I think that water flowing comment is a useful one, don't think I had ever noticed that specifically myself.

treedog

they become friends...

Afterwhile the cards begin to become friends. Friends with one another and friends of mine.

Hierophant and Lovers attached.

Maybe it's a good thing I only have 12 colors with which to work. I suspect those simple colors are making connections of their own on a subconscious level. Color itself being an Archetype.

Attachments

• BOTA-5,6.jpg
    BOTA-5,6.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 204

Tarot Orat

Very nice! My BOTA deck is on its way, I'll be joining you soon :)

treedog

Very nice! My BOTA deck is on its way, I'll be joining you soon :)

You're going to have so much fun, and guess what, there's no way you can be behind.